Quantcast

I made some chainstay protectors.. comments?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
This project has been a while in the making, one of those things that was just going to be ready when it's ready. With some help from my friends at THE, I made some chainstay protectors. The pictures below are of the version for the dwDHR, the lower one also fits all Pivot bikes, from Mach 4 to Phoenix, and all IBIS also.

I also have a version for elevated chainstay Turners and Split Pivot bikes as well.

I think that they look a lot better than a crappy old inner tube or a load of tape.

I'd love to hear any comments!

Dave

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
they look sweet. i wish more companies supplied custom fit chainstay protectors with all their bikes.

how is it secured?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
They look good!! The only thing I'll comment on is the adhesive. Not sure what you are using but I've never found any adhesive that lasted more than a few "wet" rides before it started to peel.

Anything for us with those "old" 7points?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They look good!! The only thing I'll comment on is the adhesive. Not sure what you are using but I've never found any adhesive that lasted more than a few "wet" rides before it started to peel.
you should see some of the industrial stuff that 3M makes.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Dave, you should send some of those to the guy that did the DHR review over at NSMB. :p

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Looks sweet! Reminds me of
The year turner did full Mylar(I think) graphics on the whole bike....

I want a set!

PS. I also sharpied the turner logo inside the hip in the mid section

PPS. It also looks haggard...jk...sorta

Edit: what's up with the bearings yo? I just noticed your setup....You're such a black sheep

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
How much do they weigh? If it's anything over.0006589 grams I'm not buying it. Also; have you patented the word(s) "Chainstay Protectors" because I may be saying those words this weekend and just want to make sure I am not at risk of any lawsuits.

No Sunday love?....

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
Aren't those a tad short? I've not seen the new Turner in the flesh, but the good thing about inner tubes, is that they may cover the full length of the chainstay, if the user feels inclined to do so.

on another note: why do you wrap the brake and derailleur cable in clear tube?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
1. Chianstay?
2. Thanks for listening Weagle. I bet you and DT were getting sick of my emails when we were discussing all the various tweaks and I kept harping on "built in chainstay guide".
3. I get $0.01 for every one sold.
4. You gonna bring your precious little self to Nationals? Or are you afraid of liquor from a jar?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I have always gotten wear/slap on the underside of my chainstays, towards the BB; Am I unique somehow? Those protectors are nice, but dont appear to cover the underside in any way.

Please to be chastising me with the knowledges please now, please.

Edit: Mind you, I havent investigated this phenomenon with my shiny new, diesel sprung cage Saint SS tho... is for maybe to be the savior?

thenkewwveddymuch.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
the der cable is wrapped so it can act as a seatstay protector without chewing through the housing. then you place another protector above it.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
This project has been a while in the making, one of those things that was just going to be ready when it's ready. With some help from my friends at THE, I made some chainstay protectors. The pictures below are of the version for the dwDHR, the lower one also fits all Pivot bikes, from Mach 4 to Phoenix, and all IBIS also.

I also have a version for elevated chainstay Turners and Split Pivot bikes as well.

I think that they look a lot better than a crappy old inner tube or a load of tape.

I'd love to hear any comments!

Dave

What is the material?

Hard to beat Mastik tape these days for ease of install, tricky tube shapes, deathly quiet, etc. And they have Home Depots everywhere.

Orfen

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
UP, michigan
1. Chianstay?
2. Thanks for listening Weagle. I bet you and DT were getting sick of my emails when we were discussing all the various tweaks and I kept harping on "built in chainstay guide".
4. You gonna bring your precious little self to Nationals? Or are you afraid of liquor from a jar?
First you brought back 5.10 shoes and now you're bringing us these beautiful noise dampening stay condoms.

ever thought about starting your own consulting firm?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
they look sweet. i wish more companies supplied custom fit chainstay protectors with all their bikes.

how is it secured?
These are pretty similar to the ones that we made for the Sundays way back, but the Sunday ones had some issues with the film adhesive being used. The new ones use a 3M adhesive that is impregnated into the back of the material. So far it seems to be holding up well, and I intentionally slid the lower protector forward so that it would be over the weld and compromise the adhesive as much as possible. If it lasts through a good deal of abuse and some repeated powerwashing then I will be satisfied. Only time will tell.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Can I have one for my Mojo HD? :)

The stock Lizard Skins one is pretty beat up after a season...
Made to fit the HD, it will work! The shape of the lower protector was actually made by looking at and measuring the wear on the chainstays of all of my bikes here in the stable (dwDHR, Phoenix, Sunday, Mojo, Mojo HD, Firebird, RFX prototype, Pivot XC bikes, etc..) so I am totally sure that it will fit.

Last edited:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Looks good man!. DT mentioned you guys were also trying to come up with something for the vertical part of the yoke that gets slapped a little too. Anything on that front?
You know, I have seen a few people with protection on that vertical part but the one on my bike is pretty good (as you can see from the pics) do you think that it really needs to be covered?

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
how thick are they? is the white stuff rubber that absorbs most of the impact?
Overall they are just about 2mm thick, and the white part is rubber so it absorbs the impacts. So far it seems to be working well.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
How much do they weigh? If it's anything over.0006589 grams I'm not buying it. Also; have you patented the word(s) "Chainstay Protectors" because I may be saying those words this weekend and just want to make sure I am not at risk of any lawsuits.

No Sunday love?....
You probably won't like this, the lower one is 11 grams and the upper one is 8 grams, so yeah they are pretty heavy.. Can't win them all I guess :D

The lower one will fit the Sunday and seems like it will be a lot better than the stock one that we made years ago to boot.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Aren't those a tad short? I've not seen the new Turner in the flesh, but the good thing about inner tubes, is that they may cover the full length of the chainstay, if the user feels inclined to do so.

I think that it is good actually. On the lower one, you can probably see that I intentionally slid it forward by about 8mm-10mm so that it would go over the chainstay weld. I wanted to do that to get as much of a bend as possible in the adhesive to see how it works. Normally I would run the lower one a little further back.

The shape of the lower protector was actually made by looking at and measuring the wear on the chainstays of all of my bikes here in the stable (dwDHR, Phoenix, Sunday, Mojo, Mojo HD, Firebird, RFX prototype, Pivot XC bikes, etc..), it should have enough coverage, and I don't have any extraneous marks on the stay behind the protector either. I will keep an eye on that and adjust the shape if necessary.

edit: tube on brake cable, it's something that I do to protect the cable on all of my CS/ lower SS routed bikes. Keeps things quiet and protected, and the tube is cheap and easy to find.

Dave

Last edited:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
1. Chianstay?
Sorry, it is a hard word to spell. fixed :)
I can't lie to you, there was no listening at all on this one. I made the first templates about 11 months ago when I had the only dwDHR in the world. It just took me this long to keep on top of getting them made. Priorities, you know?
We can probably work something out
Probably not but we will see! Not afraid though!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I have always gotten wear/slap on the underside of my chainstays, towards the BB; Am I unique somehow? Those protectors are nice, but dont appear to cover the underside in any way.

Please to be chastising me with the knowledges please now, please.

Edit: Mind you, I havent investigated this phenomenon with my shiny new, diesel sprung cage Saint SS tho... is for maybe to be the savior?

thenkewwveddymuch.
You don't need to be so crass.. really you don't.

You know, that's a good call about the bottom of the CS. The Turner is especially good in this area but the Mojo is not. Maybe there is something I can do there. I will look at it more.

Thanks for the input, seriously.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
wats the patent #
Is that a dig at me personally? If you have something to say, then say it.

I love the tags below, too bad people can't grow a set and actually put their name behind their little snipe shots..