Quantcast

I may be headed to Plattekill this Sunday - Couple of Questions

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I may be headed to Plattekill this Sunday to ride some DH with douglas (fellow Monkey who posts a lot in the lounge and sometimes in here) and I have some questions for this forum pertaining to which bike I should ride.

Here are my choices:

1. Snipes 30-06 hardtail with Shiver Single Crown up front, 1X9 drivetrain with a Truvative Box Guide, Sun Singletracks, Maxxis Hansventure DH tires

or

2. Balfa Belair with Fox Talas R up front, triple rings, Mavic 519 wheelset (plenty of different tire choices to put on it). 4.5" of rear travel on this frame.

This will be my first time DHing so what do you guys think?

Bike Number 1 or Bike Number 2 - or some type of combination of 1 and two.

For example putting the Shiver SC on the Balfa?

I welcome input from fellow Monkeys.

Thanks!

Mark

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by GiantDHRider
i'd go for the belaire....if you're riding all day, your back will thank you for the suspension. if its not too much trouble, i'd put on the shiver SC. it depends if you plan on doing any drops and things like that
If I make that switch it means using the Singletrack up front because that is laced to the Hope Bulb hub.......should I then throw the other singletrack on the rear?

Originally posted by MMcG
If I make that switch it means using the Singletrack up front because that is laced to the Hope Bulb hub.......should I then throw the other singletrack on the rear?
if it fits...sure. i found singletracks to be easy to flatspot running tire pressures under 20lbs. plattekill can get pretty steep and rocky so don't be surprised if your rims look square if you like to run low pressure. i usually run between 25-30lbs and i run rhyno lites on my dh bike. i've had no problems thus far and i don't feel i lose too much interms of traction/grip.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
I am with GiantDHRider on the bike pick. You will have a better time on a full squishy as the day progresses. Big tires that still fit in your frame. fairly low tire pressure, Douglas can give you pointers on the pressure. and just go out and enjoy that place :D:D:D:D:D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Instigator
I am with GiantDHRider on the bike pick. You will have a better time on a full squishy as the day progresses. Big tires that still fit in your frame. fairly low tire pressure, Douglas can give you pointers on the pressure. and just go out and enjoy that place :D:D:D:D:D
I have leg armor/elbow armor, a full face helmet - what else should I consider wearing?

for example I could take som pads (thigh pads) out of a hockey pant girdle that I wear for inline hockey to protect my arse and hips - but what about shoulder/back protection? Any ideas?

Anybody local in CT who would be willing to loan me some armor? I have to be able to make it into work on Monday!:D

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
move over as much as you can to your FS rig. Shiver SC, singletracks, etc. You'll definitely appreciate the FS when sitting down to relax before the next hair-raising part of a trail. As for armor, your cheapest route if you're going to buy anything is motocross armor like the fox roost2 or whatever, about a hundred bucks. you can rent them at the mtn, although you should call ahead and reserve one as they go quickly (think they're like $10 for the day). Oh yeah, and get your weight back... :D

dante

edit - don't worry too much about hip padding, shoulder/back/chest is much more important. hip padding is good too, but hockey stuff might be a bit bulky...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by dante
move over as much as you can to your FS rig. Shiver SC, singletracks, etc. You'll definitely appreciate the FS when sitting down to relax before the next hair-raising part of a trail. As for armor, your cheapest route if you're going to buy anything is motocross armor like the fox roost2 or whatever, about a hundred bucks. you can rent them at the mtn, although you should call ahead and reserve one as they go quickly (think they're like $10 for the day). Oh yeah, and get your weight back... :D

dante

edit - don't worry too much about hip padding, shoulder/back/chest is much more important. hip padding is good too, but hockey stuff might be a bit bulky...
The hockey girdle is pretty light and not super bulky - I used it for inline hockey specificaly for those reasons. It isn't much different than some of the padded MTB under armor that I've seen.

the getting my ass back it the thing I'll need to work on the most methinks.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by laxincubus311
be careful man what trails you ride, some may seem easy but then they can turn very very tech and steep, just be carefull.
That's why I'm going with Douglas so hopefully he can forewarn me. :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by GiantDHRider
that 661 vest is adequate, team that up with some elbow/forearm pads, knee/shinguards, fullface, and you should be ok.
My hopes are to do more and more DHing this season and over the years as I improve......should I opt for something a little better than the 661 vest now or wait?

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
i looooooove flats. dont think id know what to do with clips besides DIE. but i wanna try sometime soon.

plattekills awesome but the first time i went there id probly say i got my ass handed to me. i was pretty sore after that weekend.