Quantcast

I *May* have been bitten by the new bike bug...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, ideally looking to make it 25-26 pounds. On a budget.
you could probably build a trail pistol in that weight range, but it might not fall within your budget.

FWIW this is relevant to my interests, i've considering this route as well. GG does do customization (within reason). If you're looking for something lighter, might be worth asking them how feasible it would be to use a lighter tubeset for a trail pistol frame if its primary use will be more on the XC end.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
ya, ya ya.

Your just jelly of my maintenance free lifestyle.:rofl:

Me? I'm jealous of your ability to actually ride when the dirt gets wet. My wet weather skills have taken a 25 odd year hit, since I last lived somewhere you could ride and not die / get killed by trailcrew in the wet. :mad:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
ya, ya ya.

Your just jelly of my maintenance free lifestyle.:rofl:

Me? I'm jealous of your ability to actually ride when the dirt gets wet. My wet weather skills have taken a 25 odd year hit, since I last lived somewhere you could ride and not die / get killed by trailcrew in the wet. :mad:
Bearings and wet shit covered clothes are a small price to pay for being able to ride in the rain. :busted:

Both Copeland and Dufferin Forest up here near Barrie can be ridden in the pissing rain, as they are mostly sandy type soils. Dufferin is pretty flat, but TONS of natural flow. Copeland is hilly and across the street from Horseshoe valley; my favourite spot. Decent climbs and ripping downhills.

If you haven't ridden either place, I suggest you do! If you're ever around here, I'll gladly show ya around.

And although Dufferin is flat, there are some hidden DH trails in there with some GOOD stuff......

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLUo1lBAiiy/

Oh and have I mentioned that horses have been officially kicked the fuck off the bike trails?!

https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/horses-officially-kicked-off-the-trail.280311/ :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, I found a decent option...the DeVinci Marshall. The numbers are almost identical to the sb100 (but a slightly longer top tube).
Much cheaper, too...but the frame weighs 7 pounds, which seems like a lot for a carbon frame/rear triangle.
I guess if I threw the money I saved on the bike into a really light wheelset/drivetrain/cockpit of could get it to 26-27 pounds...
I would like to demo one.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/devinci-marshall-carbon-first-ride.html

http://2017.devinci.com/bikes/bike_855_scategory_211

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Head tube angle is steeper on the Tallboy than I'd like, but I guess (like other options) I could run a longer fork or a works headset. Something to consider.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
I like the specs on the niner, but good god, the rocker arm looks like something out of 1998. Spindly.
The reach might even be a little short!
The specs say the STA is 74, I would like to see a little steeper than that...it looks slack.
I though niner was kinda...dead?

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yeah, i rode one this summer and hit some PR's on my local trails. Wasn't noodly like I was expecting. Not generally on my radar either, and that slack seat tube angle is a little wonky. Maybe worth test riding though...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I like the specs on the niner, but good god, the rocker arm looks like something out of 1998. Spindly.
The reach might even be a little short!
The specs say the STA is 74, I would like to see a little steeper than that...it looks slack.
I though niner was kinda...dead?
I'd stay away, company is on life-support IMO and stuck in their product line. This was great during the 29er bubble 10 years ago, but the bubble eventually faded. I'm all for 29 for XC and for some other applications like a nice 120-30mm all-arounder, but I realize that other sizes have good applications and work better at certain times. To that extent, I think the whole "niner" approach is shooting yourself in the foot. Suspension kinematics have also generally followed mediocre performing horst-link setups with arguably more engineering complexity (links that hand below the BB, etc.). I'd be far more interested in a GG, Evil or other ride, even if it uses a horst-link.

I will say the SB100 looks entertaining. My pivot is away at...well, pivot, for warranty. It's worked great, but developed a crack exactly the same as at least 6 users on mtbr, so seems like an engineering problem, if they offer me a new 429SL front triangle or repair it, I'll be plenty happy and race it again until I have a problem, then move on. If they come back and say that they have no SLs but a 429T, I'd probably go for that, except the new version is stuperbost and I have $600 in rear hubs I'd need to switch, which I wouldn't be happy about.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The SB100 is still my favorite out of the bunch. Just have to hustle for some cash.
Yeah, I was thinking of selling crack or something. That'd probably be close to the top of my radar, was checking yeti forum last night though and it seems that some of them are a bit breaky. One thing to consider is customer service. Not that the Czar should be on your radar, I think more modern bikes should, but damn if they don't still set the standard for customer service. It's more of a "damn, we're sorry, lets try to get you riding as soon as possible" vs. "well, you need to talk to a dealer in Australia and then ship it from here to Africa and then to the US and even though you registered it on our site we need the serial number and photo-ID and make sure to slip a few 20s in there for good measure".

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I briefly looked at the Czar, but 68.5 HTA, 408mm Reach (Medium) and 73 STA are deal killers.
No, I meant to think about the customer service of the company (like SC vs. Yeti).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't ride SC, but by all accounts they seem to do it right far more often than not and would definitely be on my radar. When I did have the turner issue, it was a 1 day or so turn-around and they had the frame shipped back super fast, not "slow boat to China", but actually seemed to want to get me back riding.

Some things I look for that transcend a lot of other crap:

Company seems like it's going to be around for a while (you do your best here, nothing is completely foolproof).

Bike seems like it's designed to last more than one season. As far as bike design has gone, a lot of big manufacturers are still about the latest craze and not really designing a bike to stand up to year after year of riding with bearings and parts that are easily serviced at home to keep it going season after season. Just like the yeti, how easy is it to service the switch, replace all the parts and bearings, etc.?

Company has good customer service and truly tries to earn/continue earning the customer's money and respect before and after the sale.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
So, I prepared wifey that I was getting a new bike (told her I was buying a frame cheap, and building it up from spare parts/etc)
She didn't actually ride me about the cost, she just asked "So, how many bikes is enough for you? Where are you going to put it?"

I just mumbled something about 'N+1'.

This is going to be fun!

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
How about this?

Geometry looks good on these Trance 29ers, but cheap frames will be hard to come by as this has just been released. Customer service has been great (at least for me in Europe) and you can get Aluminum models too, which Giant does really well at.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
How about this?

Geometry looks good on these Trance 29ers, but cheap frames will be hard to come by as this has just been released. Customer service has been great (at least for me in Europe) and you can get Aluminum models too, which Giant does really well at.
Wonder what the effective STA would be at ride height? I'm thinking it would be well under the stated 74.5deg.