Quantcast

I *May* have been bitten by the new bike bug...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Not sure if people see Merida as a shit brand in the US but the specs are similar but you have 120mm of travel, top spec is 11.5kg WO pedals and should be a bunch cheaper than the Yeti.

https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/full-suspension/trail/2019/one-twenty-9000-11038.html
https://singletrackworld.com/2018/07/merida-has-a-brand-new-one-twenty-trail-bike-for-2019/
On paper, that bikes looks pretty damn good...but I am only going with a brand that I have shop relationships with (for a variety of reasons). I can get the Yeti for a few thousand less than the comparable Merida. But thanks for the input, that is one to watch.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah fair call, Merida's alloy frames are pretty tough but I don't know who does their carbon stuff, they may do it in house now but they weren't a few years ago.

I understand about the shop relationship thing, many many years ago I waited 10 months for a warranty frame and it sucked! I had a great relationship with the shop but the importer just kept promising things and never delivered.

Seems there is no Distributor for Merida in the US anyway, they own 49% of Spesh so they may make more money just selling the over priced brand instead of selling the poor people brand too......?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wow, my hardtail is 35 with a really light(for alloy) wheelset and a carbon bar, hahaha!
damn. my megatrail doesn't weight that much (but not by a lot). my last xc hardtail was something like 24~ lbs.

edit: i once built my slalom hardtail up singlespeed as a (skate) park bike at something like 25 lbs.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
damn. my megatrail doesn't weight that much (but not by a lot). my last xc hardtail was something like 24~ lbs.

edit: i once built my slalom hardtail up singlespeed as a (skate) park bike at something like 25 lbs.
Yeah I just stopped looking at the weight and bought stuff it would make more fun in the rough bits. DH casings, CushCore, big rotors, heavy fork etc etc.
Aside from the sub par Suntour fork I am happy with everything on the bike bar the rider.
Actually, the Saint shifter doesn't play nice with the Magura lever assy so I have to sort that out, felt fine with GX but the Saint paddles are 50ft long!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah I just stopped looking at the weight and bought stuff it would make more fun in the rough bits. DH casings, CushCore, big rotors, heavy fork etc etc.
Aside from the sub par Suntour fork I am happy with everything on the bike bar the rider.
Actually, the Saint shifter doesn't play nice with the Magura lever assy so I have to sort that out, felt fine with GX but the Saint paddles are 50ft long!
ah i'm guessing it's a 1 bike fits all kind of ride?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what about an evil? I had mine built around 28lbs with a dropper and aggressive trail fuckery. you could make it less with more carbonz parts and a more expensive build.

I don't know if BMC makes anything you like or can afford, but my heavily used and probably stolen trailfox has been the most underrated frame I've ridden. It's so light and so dialed, but it's also probably so stolen and will probably so crack in a day.

Norco fluid/whatever? Devinci atlas or whatever? Trans smuggler? does it have to be carbon or can it be not-overbuilt aluminum?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
ah i'm guessing it's a 1 bike fits all kind of ride?
Indeed, I am realising that I am too old for such a thing and am now looking at a Starling Swoop, Black Market Killswitch, or maybe even a Kona Process 111 with a -2deg headset.
I did whip up a bike frame bag and buy all the gear to knock out the odd overnighter, not long after the bike was all ready I had to live with far left vegans for a few weeks and that just knocked any want to go riding right outta me.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Sunrace cassette (x8) $50
X9 rear derailluer $30
Sram x5 shifter $20
Sram X7 front derailleur $15
Sram PC 1130 11 speed chain $18.00
Surly fat bike crankset (26/36) $25
Eagle GX (alloy) crankset, dub, 32 t. $85
All basically brand new

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
What I have for sale is a mix of 10 and 11 speed stuff.
Sorry for not clarifying.
The cassette is 11, though.
The eagle shifter is 11as well, the rear derailleur doesn't matter which..,
Either way, shit is cheap.
That reminds me, I also have a 10 speed cassette as well..$35?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
three fiddy
What's a Grecian Urn?

Got the bike in a box.
Ordered carbon bars, wheelset, 35mm steerer, 2.5 dhf, 2.4 aggressor, a wolftooth dropper lever, alloy presta valves, and a ti saddle.
XTR drivetrain will be in January or February.
Wifey thinks it's a piece together e-bay special.
Well, at least I will sell a bunch of it on eBay...