Quantcast

I *May* have been bitten by the new bike bug...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
but I am looking for a bit of a unicorn.
Lightweight XC-ish rig, with100-120mm in the rear, 29-er, with a 66-67 hta (possibly with a works angleset?)
So far the Yeti SB 100 is the front runner, but I would be interested in other options.
Anyone?
(Yes, this will be a weenie-ride bike, which we have tons of trails where the altitude is overkill...)

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
That Primer is definitely one that I overlooked...it ticks a lot of the boxes, and the reach numbers are perfect for me.
One to consider, for sure.
The frame is not particularly light, though.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Don't really look for those sorts of bikes but the Unno Horn would suit everything except maybe the budget, it is made in house in Barcelona though.
I like this- "AT 1.640 GRAMS FOR THE FRAME, SHOCK AND AXLE THE HORN IS one of the lightest xc full suspension frames available. this doesn’t mean anything though. without it’s aggressive geometry and innovative construction, it would just be another parking lot warrior. but it’s not."
https://www.unno.com/horn/

Nicolai is a bit steep(would suit angleset) but the back end is a more sensible length so the stability should be similar-
https://en.nicolai-bicycles.com/frames/saturn-11/
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1AoVDerrdkXfWZl2LCN4D4BD43Hp4H8ba_gkSk853l1U/pubhtml

Was going to say the Kona Hei Hei too but it is heavy and has a stupid BMX inspired headset so the HA can't be made more fun.
http://konaworld.com/hei_hei_al_dl.cfm

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Thanks for the suggestion...I pretty much have to stick to Rocky, Intense, Norco, Davinci, Yeti, or Santa Cruz for cost purposes. Would be interested in a close out 18' frameset as well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That slack of a HTA and 120mm of travel will pop up (with a light front fork and wheel) very easy, especially on climbs. I do not enjoy a 29er with that kind of travel that slack. That's erasing one of the things it should be good at. If you are buying it to rocket up the steeps, it ain't going to do that very well. Our 6-7" travel bikes don't do it well to start with, but going for a light 100mm 29er definitely raises the bar and allows you to rocket up stuff you can't on the bigger bikes, going that slack on an XC 29er is handicapping it IMO if the goal is anything like XC racing or marathon type stuff.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That slack of a HTA and 120mm of travel will pop up (with a light front fork and wheel) very easy, especially on climbs. I do not enjoy a 29er with that kind of travel that slack. That's erasing one of the things it should be good at. If you are buying it to rocket up the steeps, it ain't going to do that very well. Our 6-7" travel bikes don't do it well to start with, but going for a light 100mm 29er definitely raises the bar and allows you to rocket up stuff you can't on the bigger bikes, going that slack on an XC 29er is handicapping it IMO if the goal is anything like XC racing or marathon type stuff.
There is more than one variable that controls that, a bike with a slack head but longer chainstay or steep seat can still climb well, while sacrificing handling speed. It is an issue of where your center of gravity is within the wheelbase.

If he doesn't like the geometry of available XC bikes an option would be getting a size larger bike and running a short trail bike stem for a similar feel.

But if not descending on steep stuff I really don't understand the need for a bike with slack angles. A quick turning bike can be fun. Of course most trails these days are more like the Autobahn than single track, so might not be much need there.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

I call BS on this, you have more BB drop so a 29er will be the least likely to lift the front of all the wheel sizes. Decent reach and a nice steep STA will make any bike go up hills while keeping the front end down.

My hardtail is a pissy little 650b bike with an off trend high BB, a 63.5deg HA, 130mm fork and in most situations it is the best climbing bike I have owned, that is because it has a ridiculously steep STA and sensible reach. Tight uphill switchbacks aren't it's specialty but I have never enjoyed riding them so I'm happy to walk, I'm fat anyway so I need my rests.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There is more than one variable that controls that, a bike with a slack head but longer chainstay or steep seat can still climb well, while sacrificing handling speed. It is an issue of where your center of gravity is within the wheelbase.

If he doesn't like the geometry of available XC bikes an option would be getting a size larger bike and running a short trail bike stem for a similar feel.

But if not descending on steep stuff I really don't understand the need for a bike with slack angles. A quick turning bike can be fun. Of course most trails these days are more like the Autobahn than single track, so might not be much need there.
For smaller wheel sizes, yeah, I get it, but upsizing to 29er, I don't.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Yeti SB 100
Have ridden. Can confirm this bike fucking shreds.

Climbs like a champ and descends better than any other short travel bike I've ridden. Perfect for non gnarly trails. I was riding around bunny hopping over and off of everything like an idiot. Yelling at my girlfriend "look what I can do!!" while bouncing over every obstacle I could find. Tried to drift it through a grassy field at high speed and ended up on my ass. It's one of those bikes that's too much fun.

There's absolutely no reason to own a bike with shitty geo at this point.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What size frame do you ride? TBC has some Smugglers on closeout. 120mm rear, 66 HA. Reduced offset fork also.
Came here to suggest a Transition. Good that you beat me.

I rode one of the old Smuggler's for a few hours last year and while not my exact cup of tea (got the Scout for a reason), it was very fun to ride.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Did any of them look normal or did they all have linkages on linkages and a seat tube in the wrong spot?
They are all Four x 4 and full straight seat-tube, so yes.

Noel uses INA bearings, and I have never had an issue, and never needed to replace one.
However none of my local trails can be ridden in the wet, so dry riding only.
He builds them for BC slop, here in Flatario, they be living the easy life.
I have replaced the bushings on my Endorphin once.

They look a bit odd, but for my local ravine riding filled with punchy tech ups and downs, the BC bike works surprisingly well.