Quantcast

I *May* have been bitten by the new bike bug...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
OK, so i had the brilliant idea of over-pressurizing the system (with the syringe pushing oil into the caliper with the lever port closed) to get the lever to engage more quickly. All I suceeded in doing was getting the extra oil to come out of the end of the master cylinder...did I fuck it all up?
You can kinda see where it came out here.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
OK, so i had the brilliant idea of over-pressurizing the system (with the syringe pushing oil into the caliper with the lever port closed) to get the lever to engage more quickly. All I suceeded in doing was getting the extra oil to come out of the end of the master cylinder...did I fuck it all up?
You can kinda see where it came out here.

Yes.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
In all seriousness, what should I do now?
The bite point is the same as before, but a tiny bit of oil squeezes out of the end, and I don't think that can be good.
put the syringe back on, pump the lever a few times to equalize the pressurez, remove syringe. Profit!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've never even tried this two syringe crap, I do realize that a bubble can sometimes be in the caliper and especially for the rear brake, you might have to work it around a bit to work it up towards the lever, I also find a 2nd quick-bleed sometimes necessary to account for this. Follow the shimano instructions, set the lever screw full out (if I recall), work the lever back and forth at different angles to get the bubbles out. If you do get bubbles, as long as you store the bike upright, they'll work up to the lever, then just quickbleed. Use the lever reach adjust to to also change engagement, at least on mine it does. If that doesn't get the engagement quick enough, just go ride when it's -10, I guarantee that'll do it.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I was going to say that...

2 months in issue-free.

New pads tonight. Fingers crossed.
Yeah I'm close to a year now with no problems...........except Magura's trademarked Rapid Pad Wear.
I don't ride very hard and prefer the resin pads over the sintered ones, mostly because my bike sounds like a train and it makes me realize how much I brake when I really don't need to.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Yeah I'm close to a year now with no problems...........except Magura's trademarked Rapid Pad Wear.
I don't ride very hard and prefer the resin pads over the sintered ones, mostly because my bike sounds like a train and it makes me realize how much I brake when I really don't need to.
Yeah. I was shocked how quickly I went through my first set of rear pads. I’ve still got a bit of life left in them, but not much.

I just did my first bleed on them for the hell of it. I yanked a couple of teeny bubbles out, but those were probably from the syringe/lever interface.

Bomber brakes. Worth the pad wear IMO.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah. I was shocked how quickly I went through my first set of rear pads. I’ve still got a bit of life left in them, but not much.

I just did my first bleed on them for the hell of it. I yanked a couple of teeny bubbles out, but those were probably from the syringe/lever interface.

Bomber brakes. Worth the pad wear IMO.
They have always been the same, but all of my previous sets sucked, hahaha!
How they made a brake that looks so similar to my old MT6 but actually works I will never know. I think my current MT5 was about 1/3 the price of the MT6. My Vyron dropper on the other hand has been quite the turd sandwich, loose as a whore from new, stupidly slow reaction time, the head unscrewed and just yesterday it was stuck in the up position but the motor was operating. I had my frame made around an e-Dropper so I may have to get the drill out :(

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Sounds like I blew the seal with too much pressure. Hopefully I can get just parts from Shimano, otherwise I'll have to buy a new lever, and fix the other one when parts start coming online...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Any of you internet sleuths know how to navigate Shimano technical documents?
I have been trying to find an exploded diagram with part numbers for 19' xtr. Br9120 brakes and 9100 cassette parts, to be specific...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Yup, I had to buy a new complete brake. Anyone wanna buy a four pot XTR caliper and hose?
Hopefully my LBS that I am affiliated with will write me a receipt so I can try and warranty the pooched one.
And I thought that I was being so clever forcing extra fluid in the system...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Yup, I had to buy a new complete brake. Anyone wanna buy a four pot XTR caliper and hose?
Hopefully my LBS that I am affiliated with will write me a receipt so I can try and warranty the pooched one.
And I thought that I was being so clever forcing extra fluid in the system...
If you just had to buy a new brake, wouldn't you have a receipt?

Honestly I can't remember the last time I included a receipt with a Shimano warranty claim. Best warranty coverage in the business, IMO. Your shop Should be able to get it replaced for you easily.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Brake was from Germany, Shimano USA warranty won’t touch that. Has to be a receipt from an authorized us reseller. At least that was my impression, I haven’t warrantied anything with Shimano since 2004.
Good to hear you have had a different experience!

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
No receipt available...

It was a gift from your <insert one item from column A>

ex-wife / girlfriend / sig other
parent(s)
grand-parent(s)
sibling
other relative
Sugar momma / daddy
other

any of which could be

other side of country
on vacation / sabbatical
dead
other
~
destroyed in fire / flood / tornado
~
lost / dog ate it
etc

There are many legitimate reasons why you may not have a receipt.

I have had an actual instance where something i received as a gift from my late father with no receipt went back for warranty without issue once the situation was explained. I also have had instances where the policy stated that a receipt was needed, but was never asked for. It seemed that it was more of a case of "Yes it is our product. Yes it failed prematurely. Let me take care of that for you under warranty" Happy customer is more likely to purchase again or recommend. However was not bike but camping / canoeing gear.

Worth a shot.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Also, I'm not saying you should send your blown lever in a box to shimano with a note about spare parts and some poop in the box, but I'm not saying you shouldn't either...