Quantcast

i messed up a job interview today

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
:mad:

well. today i started looking for job in the car business.i´ve got an interview with the general manager of the mercedes dealer closest to my house.
a good 2.5 miles away. awesome location, awesomely short commute thru lesser traffic. it was my first interview, and definately, my first choice.
the job am looking for? entry level auto technician.

thing is, i went to talk with G. Asmat, the general manager of this small dealership. things were slow, 10am, we chatted for a while about school, college, my background, experience and lots of other things. he told me. "we are looking for young people just like you. do you have time after lunch? let me call the service manager at the Lima mercedes headquarters, i´ll arrange an meeting with him, go talk to him, you should be getting to know our operations and the cars." they guy was
so, with a "awesome" smile. i went to the adress he gave me. the service manager was waiting for me.
we met in his office, and we went thru basically everything i already talked with Asmat. the interview was fine and dandy... and he put down the question.
why had i left college in the US and went back to Peru???, i answered, "personal reasons", and thru the insistance, i slipped and said "well a bit of health issues had to do with it".
then came, "what are your salary expectations?"
since i didnt want to throw a figure (i know the salary is peanuts anyway), i asked him what they were offering. he asked how much i was making at my current job. i said what is it. about 13-15 times the minimal wage. but i said i´d be willing to go for a not so trivially lower amount because i wanted to work there.
i dont know how much the technicians get paid there, but i believe it should be between 2-4 minimal wages. not more.
he said they had a lot of techinicians. but they were going to open a new dealership in about a month. they would call me. i asked how should i expect them to take to call me, he said about a month, and you would have to go thru all the exams with do with our technicians, yiddi, yadda, blablablabla.....

now, the thing is, after what Asmat said, i think i got blown off. i was almost positive i´d have been hired at the spot, or at least gotten something better than a "we will call you".
was is the "health issue"? was it the money? in fact, i want the experience bad. in the long run, the experience is worth to me much more than 30%-40% of my current income.
am willing to work for basically gas money, as long as i get the experience, and i get to work a 2-3 days a week...

wtf went wrong??

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Westy said:
Your wore pants didn't you?
yes, some uber metro dirty looking diesels, sand blasted and with one different color rear pocket. complete with dark tan kenneth cole loafers and a button down stripped shirt.
i was going to go with a pink shirt, but i thought that would have been too gay for a macho work like mechanic.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
ALEXIS_DH said:
yes, some uber metro dirty looking diesels, sand blasted and with one different color rear pocket. complete with dark tan kenneth cole loafers and a button down stripped shirt.
i was going to go with a pink shirt, but i thought that would have been too gay for a macho work like mechanic.
When are you people going to start listening to me?

Job interviews with pants = bad

I heard this story from a buddy I worked with:
His girlfriends ex-husband goes for an executive type job. The interviewer is asking him various questions, when he gets to this one:
what motivates you?
his answer-"beer and pussy"
I'm sure he meant what motivates him to do the JOB.
Surprise, he didn't get the position.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
0_emissions_ said:
I heard this story from a buddy I worked with:
His girlfriends ex-husband goes for an executive type job. The interviewer is asking him various questions, when he gets to this one:
what motivates you?
his answer-"beer and pussy"
I'm sure he meant what motivates him to do the JOB.
Surprise, he didn't get the position.
Awesome second post. You are well on your way to be a RM hall of famer.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
It’s kind of hard to say exactly what is going on, but I would say that there are a few possible answers.

1 Perhaps the manager felt that the health issue could be a liability to the company. Did he ask anymore questions about your response?

2) The pay difference may be an issue. Companies can be reluctant to make a job offer to someone who will be taking a big pay cut.

3) Maybe they are telling the truth; perhaps they are trying to get some candidates lined up for a new dealership…

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When I went from $85k as a software engineer to $10/hour tow truck driver, I didn't put the pay rate of previous jobs on my application. When asked about it, i told them chances are i made more than all his drivers combined, but I wanted to do something different and money wasn't an issue.

He laughed and gave me the job. Salary might have been it, but I think it was the "personal reasons" that could be an issue as well. I would make something up, or say something like "family emergency" or "I was on the lamb".

You never know, he could call you in a few weeks with a job too.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
ALEXIS_DH said:
:mad:

well. today i started looking for job in the car business.i´ve got an interview with the general manager of the mercedes dealer closest to my house.
thing is, i went to talk with G. Asmat, the general manager of this small dealership.

wtf went wrong??

I bet you called him Mr. Asshat by mistake.