Quantcast

I met a famous rapper today

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
morethanjake543 said:
Take rap and replace it with any genre you want and you'll have the same valid arguement. And don't give us any of that "extrapolate the stereotypes" BS. Yo, Yo, Yo, you probably thought talking in hyperbole in middleschool made you cooler than all the other kids. Your argument isn't witty or relevent.
Wasn't meant to be witty. But replace it and get the same? HA! Not true. No other type of music genre is simply five guys on stage talking to prerecorded drum tracks and sampled music. Not jazz, funk, soul, rock, blue grass, roots, country. ALL others actually play their music instruments MAKING the music with TALENT from playing that instrument and sing holding notes using their vocal RANGE, not monotone. And no extrapolation here. I admit I don't know all the rap hip hop stars. I don't listen to it. But all I hear of it on peoples stereos on the road and on late night TV when they introduce another new hip hop or rap star is the same old recipe, a stage, a black dude on a double turntable scratchin, prerecored or sampled music, and five or six guys running around back and forth from one side of the stage to the other, all talking. But humoring you, let's take all the singers off stage leaving the musicians. Let's see, you have a keyboard player, a drummer, a bassist, a guitar player, sax etc. Now take away the singer in rap or hip hop. Look! There's no one on stage but a guy with a machine with pre recorded music, and scratching a record. Oh yeh you make a GREAT argument! There's a reason why you're 'morethanjake' cuz this concept is more than Jake.

morethanjake543 said:
It's easy to take some drum beats and samples and make a decent sounding song. It's also easy to take a few chords and a drum beat and get something that sounds legitimate as well.
Spoken by a true drummer. True talented musicians play music, not record it and sample it or use machines to make it, they PLAY music, ON STAGE, LIVE! Big difference when it comes to describing talent. And they don't talk, they have a singing VOICE RANGE not a monotonous documentary ryhming commentary.

The comment was, "Take away his mic and see if he's got any real talent."

End of story.

P.S. Roland DR-5! I guess you'd say that using one takes real talent and shows more talent over a Neil Peart, Buddy Rich or a Mike Portney of Dream Theater. Extrapolate THAT!:eviltongu:

By way, Dream Theater, now THAT is real singing voice talent.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
The Kadvang said:
I hope you realise that nobody cares?
Yeh, I really could care less myself. I just brought up a point about how it's on its way out and a few decided to flame about it. I'm just flaming it back. It all comes down to ones point of veiw. But I think MOST would say, compared to the black music stars of the past, RAP and Hip Hop are not in the same ball park as to what having REAL talent really is.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Chunky, you're missing everything I said.

The music your basing your opinions off of is not real rap or hip-hop, it's Pop music -- Britney Spears and NSync pop. This music isn't written to express oneself or to get across a message, no. This music is put together to glorify the superficial consumer-culture we market to teenagers.

There are legitimate artists who do have both poetic and musical talent in that they write lyrics and put it to a pre-recorded beat. Some of these groups even axe the beats and use a real band. Ozomatli is a good example: Traditional latin music fronted with MCs. Sadly, you haven't and will not hear any of these acts.

You seem a little cultured. If not cultured, then at least world conscious. Do you respect what Nickleback does? Do you believe that it takes talent to formulize a successful song and release albums of the same formula over and over again? If I were to hear a few of their songs, completely virgin to rock music, I would likely (and wrongly) assume that all rock acts look like they've come out of a trailer park, are over dramatic and insencere, and use the same song structure.

I guess in that case, it'd be cool to say that both Dream Theater and even the Dillinger Escape Plan focus solely on their image and recycle the same structure over and over.

Select a goal and persue it. . . or in terms you'll likely understand, "GIT 'R DONE!"

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Mmm, Dillenger Escape Plan.

That reminds me of when I was lucky enough to see Fantomas live. They rocked. Mike Patton is genious.

Anyways, carry on with the rap speak.

Mar 10, 2005
Fantomas would be amazing live. I've never been, but I hear Dillenger shows are amazing.

I've always held a special place in my heart for Aquabats! shows. Sure, the music is cheesy and fun, but they are a band of super heroes who actually fight bad-guys inbetween songs. How awesome is that? Seriously Awesome.

Which reminds me. . . who here has seen GWAR? Five cool points if you didn't see them at a fest.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
morethanjake543 said:
Fantomas would be amazing live. I've never been, but I hear Dillenger shows are amazing.

I've always held a special place in my heart for Aquabats! shows. Sure, the music is cheesy and fun, but they are a band of super heroes who actually fight bad-guys inbetween songs. How awesome is that? Seriously Awesome.

Which reminds me. . . who here has seen GWAR? Five cool points if you didn't see them at a fest.
That reminds me of seeing Alice Cooper. Super theatrical. Not the greatest music but a damn cool show.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
TheMontashu said:
I saw gwar, it was an interesting show. Although gwar is the perfect example of TERRABLE music.
Terrible music, but a funny show.

And a messy show to boot.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
morethanjake543 said:
Chunky, you're missing everything I said.

The music your basing your opinions off of is not real rap or hip-hop, it's Pop music -- Britney Spears and NSync pop. This music isn't written to express oneself or to get across a message, no. This music is put together to glorify the superficial consumer-culture we market to teenagers.

There are legitimate artists who do have both poetic and musical talent in that they write lyrics and put it to a pre-recorded beat. Some of these groups even axe the beats and use a real band. Ozomatli is a good example: Traditional latin music fronted with MCs. Sadly, you haven't and will not hear any of these acts.

I guess in that case, it'd be cool to say that both Dream Theater and even the Dillinger Escape Plan focus solely on their image and recycle the same structure over and over.

Select a goal and persue it. . . or in terms you'll likely understand, "GIT 'R DONE!"
No you're missing the point. I SAID, and I'll REPEAT! Remove the mic and see if he has any REAL TALENT! As in MUSICAL talent. It takes NO talent whatsoever to walk around on stage with four other guys just hoping up and down, acting like it's STILL the latest thing and TALKING, I said TALKING into a mic. It takes NO talent to do that. You bring up Britney Spears and Nsync. Never got into them. But I can say, BOTH can harmonize and carry a note. Although I think you are right about the MARKETING to a niche market, they CAN carry a note therefor can SING. They don't TALK into a mic. Yes all they do is walk around on stage and they are not playing instruments. So YES, I would agree, there is NOT a lot of talent there either but there IS good vocal talent. The rap and hip hop I speak up is the TYPICAL mainstream marketed stuff on TV and Radio, not any underground you mention. It's like Dream Theater is to Rock Music. Dream Theater is an example of TALENT and Sebastian Bach would be considered garbage, no talent. Case and point, there are musicians in Rock that SCREAM and their are ones that sing. I'm pointing out the difference between SCREAMING, aka TALKING in a mic, aka main stream rap as to SCREAMING no talent voice, as to Singing aka good voice. Nickleback is a very good band but the singers voices isn't all that, but as a band, they all play their own musical instruments thereby show more talent than a five black dudes on stage walking around with no instruments just talking into a mic. But Dream Theater IS an example of TRUE talent. You're talking about a guy with a real voice who can sing. He studied opra singing. You're talking about musicains at all can play music and are very talented on their instruments. Five rappers talking into Mic's can't hold a candle if you were to take a group of judges and sit down and say, "Look, we are judging actual talent in the form of what the word REALLY means, not hype, not marketing, not what's hip right now, we're talking TALENT." Guaranteed, five dudes talking on the mic won't get a huge score. It's not talent. It's TALENT to be a musician, NOT to hold a mic and talk into it. I'm not talking about telling stories about the hood or how in depth or underground it is, I'm talking the SAME SOUND over and OVER and OVER and OVER and seeing the SAME recipe on TV whether from Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, or Regis Philban, it's all the same thing, five guys, talking in a mic, yo yo, yo yo, yeh yeh, sup sup, same old hoping up and down and hearing the MC saying, "Yeh let's hear it, you guys are really talented." C'MON! You gotta be kidding me!? It's MARKETING! MARKETING that is selling the records, NOT the talent cus there isn't any talent to talking into a mic. PERIOD! It requires NO TALENT! THAT is what I said.

Here in case you didn't see it.

Chunky Munkey said:
Did you take his mic away and put an instrument in his hand to see if he had any real talent?:rofl:

Maybe I can put it in terms, YOU'LL understand.
(place cheap manufactured Roland DR-5 Drum Machine track here...) B-B Puh, B-B-B puh, B-B Puh, B-B-B Puh.

Talentless loser on mic yells to crowd...
Yo yo, sup sup yo, yo everybody out dare stand up! Yeh yeh!!! Everybody clap ya hayands, clap ya hands, can I get a scream!? Yo yo... this is how it go!

Heres to the holmee that aint' listn to my words,
The boys to busy listenin to music that's refurbed!
So heres to the homee that don't get what I'm saying,
What I said ya stupid foo, is E Foty ain't no sangin!
And ya "giter done" cracking yo, you might think is funny,
But ya kiddie wise crackin, makes ya sound jus like a dumby.
So wise up ya sucka like ya heard it from a bird,
Talkin on a mic takes no talent! Peace I'm out Yo, WORD!:cool:

YO YO, PEACE OUT! Yeeeh, yeeeh pawty people!!
West coast babaaay!!

Now put some bouncing cars behind me with five other black dudes holding mics that can't hold a note and an entourage of fifty people and a few Honda CBR's smokin tires in front of the camera and add in a few girls wearing pant's so short their ass is hanging out and have them jiggling their ass in front of the camera and you got REAL TALENT THERE!

Like I said, talking in mic, is NO TALENT!

Put some instruments in their hands of most of these rap stars and hip hop artists can't play a note.

Talent=Singing in tune, with a vocal range and being able to play intruments well to play on time in tune and actually perform the music and create it and play it.

No Talent=Can't sing in tune, sings monotously, basically talking, holds mic hoping up and down on stage, can't play a musical instrument, can't preform with a musical instrument, can't create music using a musical instrument, has to create it all on computer or using sampling machines using OTHER artists, creations, and or sampling pre-recorded sounds and effects to compose or manufacture a song.

As to some of these groups even axe the beats and use a real band. Ozomatli is a good example: In that case I'd say that there is some talent there. But NOT five guys holding mic's with no instrumentation.

So flame on yo. Cus as to any more on this subject,

WHATEVER!!!:eviltongu:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Why do you hate rap so much? Jest because you don't like it.

What about rappers who make ther own beats, are they still tallentless loosers because they use a computer to make there music? Is that not still composition.

Jest because you dispise a type of music does not mean that it is not music.

O and many rappers can sing and do sing in there raps.

You are a poor misguided fool now please stop you are getting kind of anoying.

Oct 9, 2003
Chunky Munkey said:
Talkin on a mic takes no talent! Peace I'm out Yo, WORD!:cool:

YO YO, PEACE OUT! Yeeeh, yeeeh pawty people!!
West coast babaaay!![/I]
You're actually pretty talented!:)

Mar 10, 2005
I agree with The Kadvang, they do make my day a little bit more enjoyable.

Chunky, you and I agree on some of the same things. You hate just about everything about the rap your listening to, and I agree, most of that stuff isn't legitimate. I'm not too hip to guys bragging about their grills and girls. Most of the rhymes I hear from them seem forced. It just doesn't work and the only reason it's still around is because all the preteens got told that it's the cool thing.

Talent is subjective. It's not measurable and it's definently not something that crosses cultures well. Have you ever seen a bollywood musical? Some cat's might claim that a certain director is out of this world, but all you'll see is cheesy shots and awkward lines getting passed back and fourth.

You were born into a different generation than I was. Generations are cultures within themselves. Some members of the older generations believe that rap is still a lyrical novelty. My generation has come to include hip-hop and rap into our ever-expanding list of musical style. I bet when you were growing up, people would consider any of that prog-rock stuff you listened to as talentless trash. Apperently some people never dug odd time signatures and busy music, I don't know, but that's the way it is with rap now.

And just to put this out there: Pop music is full of "for the profit" ideas. When you can hit a button to auto-tune a singer both live and in studio, it's hard to equate what you see to real talent. Some people like their music gritty and natural, some like theirs produced. Some people get really into new Flaming Lips material, while others would get off by listening to old Against Me! and Rocket From The Crypt tracks.

To each his own.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
The Kadvang said:
The amount of effort you put into your posts makes me chuckle repeatedly. Thank you.
Chunky Munkey... Chuckle Munkey? Hmmm...
Chunky Munkey said:
Talkin on a mic takes no talent! Peace I'm out Yo, WORD!
I came up with that rap in five minutes. Took no talent. But with the right marketing do you think I could get my own FatBurger!?:D

Oct 9, 2003
Five minutes? That sure beats selling briks in the hood, huh?
I guess so - you and four other black dudes. Just call it Chunky Burger so you don't get a cap in yo black ass.;-)