Quantcast

I might be getting one of these...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
As much as I want a 92x, it's hard to argue with this beauty for $40k with ALL options. 100k/10yr warranty.
Fiance' wants to get a 3-series, but a new one with the spec we want is $60k. I think it's too small, and for what you get it's WAY over priced; especially given the repair cost for a used one. This guy is about the size of a 5-series, costs 50% as much, and has a better warranty.
Although when I told her that a WRX with my spec is only $25k she did a double take and responded "that's it? really? wow!" which means I might be able to get my WRX 5-door just yet!:banana:

http://www.hyundaigenesis.com/

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
There's a road and track video test of it floating around somewhere. It gets pretty good reviews. Looks like it will lay down rubber, but expect a lot more body roll and brake dive than with either of the bimmers. Seems to have a good motor but the suspension isn't up to German standards and you're not going to be able to find the same kind of aftermarket support.

PS: I have an 03 325xi and if it were a stick I'd be driving it till it explodes. Even with the slushbox, it is by far the best car I've ever driven. I've pretty much stopped slowing down for corners.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i agree with the choice of the Genesis. looks like a sweet car.

/me wants a Prius but would rather continue to not have a car

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sk8 - I agree, but this will be the cruiser/family car. Body roll is fine for me on a dd. I don't push non-sports cars.
blue - I would agree, but this is cheaper, bigger, has a warranty, and is built by a company that is not going to go under in the next 5 years.
Toshi - I also agree, but having to borrow cars when fiance' is using the jetta sucks. Especially when the car you are borrowing is a 1996 Tacoma with 58k. I've put more miles on that truck this year than he has...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi - I also agree, but having to borrow cars when fiance' is using the jetta sucks. Especially when the car you are borrowing is a 1996 Tacoma with 58k. I've put more miles on that truck this year than he has...
have you looked into SF carshare, or zipcar?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The stereos in those are reported to be infvckingcredible.

And that is the first car of theirs I have seen where the front end doesn't look as horrendous as the new audi front ends.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was checking it out at the dealer. It was nice, but the interior felt cheap (Daewoo Leganza cheap) and I couldn't justify the price. I didn't drive it thought.

I had just finished diving the C230 Kompressor, so that might have something to do with it, too. The Kompressor was $12k with 100k extended warranty.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
that's a seriously good deal. I just found a 9-2x sport, premium package 20k miles for $15k. If I hadn't promised not to go into debt again until we buy a house I'd be driving it now.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Kompressor can pull 28+ mpg if you can manage to keep your foot out of it, too. The '02 sedan I drove had 50k miles on it. Rumor has it they go for 300k miles on the motor, but the electronics are what made me nervous.

<edit>

It's still for sale, damn.

Last edited:

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
God I hate the electronics in the german cars. Nothing but trouble with that and the plastic ****. The parts that are made of metal are usually way burly, but its like they didn't consider the effects of fatigue and wear on plastic parts. The put these tiny delicate connectors and clasps and **** all over the place, just waiting the break.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
As much as I want a 92x, it's hard to argue with this beauty for $40k with ALL options. 100k/10yr warranty.
Fiance' wants to get a 3-series, but a new one with the spec we want is $60k. I think it's too small, and for what you get it's WAY over priced; especially given the repair cost for a used one. This guy is about the size of a 5-series, costs 50% as much, and has a better warranty.
Although when I told her that a WRX with my spec is only $25k she did a double take and responded "that's it? really? wow!" which means I might be able to get my WRX 5-door just yet!:banana:
Unless you're talking about an M3 and an M5, your numbers are way off.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
PS: I have an 03 325xi and if it were a stick I'd be driving it till it explodes. Even with the slushbox, it is by far the best car I've ever driven. I've pretty much stopped slowing down for corners.
This is why my next car will be a BMW, with a manual of course. And none of that AWD crap either. Now should I go for an E46 330 or all out with an E39 M5? Decisions, decisions...

That new Hyundai is pretty much the best car they have built thus far, but I'm not sure that I would buy one just yet.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Stoney, something else to consider.....

VW has been surprising dealerships with the new CC...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hyundai has a new coupe using a similar/same engine coming out...maybe another year or two. That's high on my list.

That and the G8 wagon, if it happens.

I've been pleased with my girlfriend's hyundai mechanically, but the interior is as cheap as it gets. It's a perfect commuter/beat it until it dies car.