Quantcast

I Might Convert

Lenny

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Northern NJ
I've been a hardtail rider forever.
I love their razor sharp handling, light weight, and simplicity.
However, lately I've been thinking about getting something a little more comfy and faster on the downhills.
Enter, full suspension.
However, I really don't want the "lounge chair" feeling.
Maybe I want a softtail.
I don't want a heavy, complex, noodly rear end full suspension bike.
Are there any FS/soft tail designs that handle great, don't have tremendous maintenance requirements, are light weight, that will make me happy?
Be gentle as I've been resisting the dark side as long as possible.
But I guess it was inevitible.
Lenny

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
There are plenty of shorter-travel FS bikes available that don't give you the "lounge chair" feeling. Don't think that you have to stop at softtails before giving up handling. FS designs have come a LONG way in the past years. Sorry I can't offer more specifics than that.

"Free your mind, and your a$$ will follow." (And not hurt as much either.) Good luck :thumb: .

Phreaddy

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
New York City
I've been riding the same front-susp. Stumpjumper since I bought it new in 96. Before that, I had a fully rigid '91 Cannondale. About a year ago, I spent a couple of days on a Superlight and loved it. Pedalled easy uphill, was still light weight and comfortable and smooth. If we could justify the expenditure at this point in our lives, the wife and I would each get one!

monkeywench

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
movin' on...
Still riding a Specialized Rockhopper HT, but had the oppurtunity to try a friend's Kona King Kikapu dualie at a race. Very nice, I have to admit. Made drops a breeze.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Of all the bikes I've ridden, the Maverick has been the best all around XC bike that still has that hardtail feel while pedaling. They are really expensive - but the Klein Palomino might be a good alternative for less $$$

I love my Nicolai, but its pretty active. I wouldn't call it slow by any means - but it is definately plush.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Take the softail out of your head. Softtails are useless. I think you'd be happy with a Superlight like Phreaddy said, but the rear ends of those frames are not what I would call stiff. Still, they're light and pedal relatively well yet still offer a good deal of suspension action.

If you're a masher, you won't be happy with any full suspension bike until you learn a good pedal stroke.

You may also want to look at the Epic. (Can't believe I typed that, but it sounds like it might fit your bill).

Edit: the Isis is a good suggestion as well, they're stiff. But, the weight factor may be an issue coming from a hardtail.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by Lenny

I don't want a heavy, complex, noodly rear end full suspension bike.
Then just don't go shopping in 1996. I can't think of many,if any truly horrible bikes that are on the sales floors these days. Suspension design and shock technology are pretty well-developed things now.

Might look at the Giant NRS if you're stuck on hardtail-itis...but I think the SC Blur might be another good choice. Titus RacerX and Turner are other, higher $$$ choices.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, the Nicolai Helius CC or Saturn bikes might also fit the bill nicely...

MD

Lenny

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Northern NJ
OK, I'm a dope!
Who makes the Isis, Nicolai, Epic and Saturn.
I'm totally at a loss when it comes to FS.
Thanks for putting up with my ?
Lenny

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
its ok.. i'm switching over the same way.. though not fully blown. can't lose my hardtail ever...

I'm getting an enduro (made my specialized) a couple guys have mentioned it...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Nicolai is a brand from Germany; Helius cc and Saturn are models they produce. Nicolai-usa on Ridemonkey or any of the other team riders (or me) can answer questions you might have, or go to www.nicolai.net (or use the flashing advert on some RM pages).

JohnMc

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
St. Louis, MO
I can't find much fault with my Ellsworth Truth. You can pump the rear shock up nice and firm, but it doesn't really improve things much - it's quite efficient with the rear set plush. Very little bob in out of saddle efforts, pretty much zero sitting down. And fully active all the time. The rear end feels solid, mone has done about 2000 miles of off road use with zero maintenance(although the Fox shock has needed one overhaul - the damping went out after one season). The weight is only about 2 lbs over a light HT frame, and if you ride bumpy trails the increased control downhills, increased traction up buympy climbs and overall comfort WAY more than make up for the 2 lbs. Honestly speaking I can go about twice as far on rough trails on my Truth than I can on my C'dale HT.

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by Arsbars
its ok.. i'm switching over the same way.. though not fully blown. can't lose my hardtail ever...

I'm getting an enduro (made my specialized) a couple guys have mentioned it...
yeah, i am getting an specialized FSR end of summer. has just 75-90 mm of travel for my XC weenie ass... gonna stick it out on my HT giant the rest of the season tho:( ...it may turn into a SS or DJ bike then:D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
ok the softail isn't useless spincrazy, however w/ that said well the ones made by certain companies pretty much is. Moots started the design a long time ago and they ulitize it pretty well w/ the super big 7/8ths chain and seat stays so hort. flex isn't all that much. the litespeeds and a few other companies that have attempted have well pretty much failed......the only way to do this type of design in my mind is the flat stay design that castellona(sp?) the old ibis designer came up w/. the maverick is a nice design as well as a few other designs on the market. i say stick w/ the hard tail and just get a pair of tubeless and bomb down shiet :D