Quantcast

I mopped up in my Fantasy draft:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Haha, look at the picks I got in a 12-team league. :)

I had the first overall pick and went with what I consider to be the safe pick in Alexander over Larry Johnson, and my only real concerns are Palmers knee and if Matt Jones can step it the hell up. I think my roster alone puts me in the playoffs!

Palmer, Carson QB CIN
Rivers, Philip QB SD
Alexander, Shaun RB SEA
Jones, Thomas RB CHI
Harrison, Marvin WR IND
Johnson, Keyshawn WR CAR
Jones, Matt WR JAC
Stokley, Brandon WR IND
Williamson, Troy WR MIN
Heap, Todd TE BAL
Watson, Benjamin TE NE
Kasay, John O_UTL CAR
Longwell, Ryan O_UTL MIN
Packers, Green Bay DST GB
Panthers, Carolina DST
Woot!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Palmer, Carson QB CIN Eek...Like ya said, hope the knee comes back....
Rivers, Philip QB SD Untested....hasn't looked too sharp, but that can change.
Alexander, Shaun RB SEA Good choice, sir!
Jones, Thomas RB CHI Probably the most likely starter
Harrison, Marvin WR IND Perennial overachiever.
Johnson, Keyshawn WR CAR Going to be hard for Delhomme to choose between him and Smith.
Jones, Matt WR JAC Looked good in the last game...
Stokley, Brandon WR IND
Williamson, Troy WR MIN Who?
Heap, Todd TE BAL Good stuff.
Watson, Benjamin TE NE Brady doesn't utilize him nearly enough....
Kasay, John O_UTL CAR Yep yep yep.
Longwell, Ryan O_UTL MIN
Panthers, Carolina DST Starter, I hope.

Should be a good year! My two teams actually look reasonably promising this year...we shall see.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Palmer, Carson QB CIN Eek...Like ya said, hope the knee comes back....
Rivers, Philip QB SD Untested....hasn't looked too sharp, but that can change.
Alexander, Shaun RB SEA Good choice, sir!
Jones, Thomas RB CHI Probably the most likely starter
Harrison, Marvin WR IND Perennial overachiever.
Johnson, Keyshawn WR CAR Going to be hard for Delhomme to choose between him and Smith.
Jones, Matt WR JAC Looked good in the last game...
Stokley, Brandon WR IND
Williamson, Troy WR MIN Who?
Heap, Todd TE BAL Good stuff.
Watson, Benjamin TE NE Brady doesn't utilize him nearly enough....
Kasay, John O_UTL CAR Yep yep yep.
Longwell, Ryan O_UTL MIN
Panthers, Carolina DST Starter, I hope.

Should be a good year! My two teams actually look reasonably promising this year...we shall see.
Yeah, some good points there, and Ive taken most of it into consideration.

Carolina DST will DEFINITELY be starting for me.
Troy Williamson is Minnesota's #1 Pick from last year, he showed flashes but hasnt been too consistent. He's the type of guy that could really bust out, so I thought Id take a shot.
Also, on Heap, McNair is the MASTER of the checkdown so I expect alot of production there.
Steve Smith will ALWAYS draw a double coverage, so I expect Keyshawn, as a wiley veteran, to put up gaudy statistics considering that this is the 1st time he isnt the #1. Think Reggie Wayne.
Rivers may not win alot, but has too many weapons to be complete crap, so I figured it'd be a decent bailout if Palmer's knee is crappy. But I dont think that will be the case. Palmer was the top Rated QB in how my league scores last year, so hopefully I'll do well.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Yeah, some good points there, and Ive taken most of it into consideration.

Carolina DST will DEFINITELY be starting for me.
Troy Williamson is Minnesota's #1 Pick from last year, he showed flashes but hasnt been too consistent. He's the type of guy that could really bust out, so I thought Id take a shot.
Also, on Heap, McNair is the MASTER of the checkdown so I expect alot of production there.
Steve Smith will ALWAYS draw a double coverage, so I expect Keyshawn, as a wiley veteran, to put up gaudy statistics considering that this is the 1st time he isnt the #1. Think Reggie Wayne.
Rivers may not win alot, but has too many weapons to be complete crap, so I figured it'd be a decent bailout if Palmer's knee is crappy. But I dont think that will be the case. Palmer was the top Rated QB in how my league scores last year, so hopefully I'll do well.
Yeah....that's why I picked him up too....yeah.... :blah: That's a good point....didn't even think about that when I picked him up....I'm sooooo stoked for the season....:drool:

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
Yeah, in the 15th round, and they werent horrible last year. I had to choose between New Orleans, Houston, San Francisco and Green Bay. I think I picked correctly.
With those choices you had to pick the packers. As a fan of a certain team, from a certain city id hope you never have to start them.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Odd as it may sound, this is actually my first year doing fantasy football. I know alot about it, but have never had the time to get started in a league. This year's league was only $5, so I didnt put forth a truly concerted effort, just went off my basic knowledge. If this were a $100 per team league, I would've made sure about bye weeks and all that stuff before picking.

I think it'd be great to do a 12-team, $1,000 per head league. Imagine winning that, and all the effort you would put in. WOW. Im addicted already, and the first game hasnt begun.

Greenchris, the only time I'll play the packers "D" is on Carolina's bye week, or unless Carolina is playing really crappily and has to face Denver or Seattle or Indianapolis or something. The Bears Defense went to my brother in like the 4th round :rolleyes: He's such a homer.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I also helped Kizzi pick her team, and this is what we ended up with. She was the #8 pick.

Hasselbeck, Matt QB SEA
Simms, Chris QB TB
Barber, Tiki RB NYG
Duckett, T.J. RB WAS
Dunn, Warrick RB ATL
Johnson, Andre WR HOU
Moulds, Eric WR HOU
Muhammad, Muhsin WR CHI
Ward, Hines WR PIT
Cooley, Chris TE WAS
Witten, Jason TE DAL
Feely, Jay O_UTL NYG
Gould, Robbie O_UTL CHI
Buccaneers, Tampa Bay DST TB
Cardinals, Arizona DST ARI
Pretty Solid, IMO.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
Both of your teams will do well. Hasselbeck is a friggin stud as well as barber/dunn/cooley. TB's defense is always going to do well. I just got into the fantasy football last year and im addicted. Ive always been a huge NFL fan but with the ff it makes watching every game a lot of fun.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
How many players do you start at each position? It appears to me that you have a flex position, possibly start a third wr or rb. I like your qb and wr picks, but you're very weak in rb. Alexander is the right choice imo, I would've done the same. I don't know what options you had at your second pick, but I'm going to assume it was Jones. Good choice if he starts each game like he did last year, but the increasing playing time of Benson s/b a worry. You WILL need another rb. I'd look to Mo Drew of Jacksonville, Marion Barber of Dallas, D Williams of Carolina for players to shore up that weakspot.

All things considered, a very solid draft. We draft sometime in the next week or two. I will need all the luck I can get.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
How many players do you start at each position? It appears to me that you have a flex position, possibly start a third wr or rb. I like your qb and wr picks, but you're very weak in rb. Alexander is the right choice imo, I would've done the same. I don't know what options you had at your second pick, but I'm going to assume it was Jones. Good choice if he starts each game like he did last year, but the increasing playing time of Benson s/b a worry. You WILL need another rb. I'd look to Mo Drew of Jacksonville, Marion Barber of Dallas, D Williams of Carolina for players to shore up that weakspot.

All things considered, a very solid draft. We draft sometime in the next week or two. I will need all the luck I can get.
I start 8 players:

1 QB
1 RB
2 WR
1 TE
1 Kicker
1 D/ST
1 Utility (WR/RB)

Im heavy on receivers because RBs went quick and by the time I got to the second RB pick, there was little left. Jones was the top rusher of those left, and Benson is hurt AND getting into trouble for leaving a game early, so his playing time wont be as significant IMO. If I have to pick up another RB, hell, Benson went undrafted, as did Barber.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Okay, I looked at your roster again. More thoughts...

Matt Jones is an athletically talented player, but he's still a year or two away from being a viable fantasy player. I read a stat the other week that he had some of the worst hands (read: dropped balls) in the ENTIRE league. As of right now, he's taking up a roster space.

If Stokley can shake his offseason (or preseason?) injuries, I'd consider using him if the matchup is favorable. Otherwise, an okay bench backup at worst.

Troy Williamson - Good call, I'm curious to see if he can be a real #1 wr.

I'd seriously consider dropping Matt Jones to pick up another rb. In fantasy football, it can rarely hurt to have a solid backup rb or two.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Okay, I looked at your roster again. More thoughts...

Matt Jones is an athletically talented player, but he's still a year or two away from being a viable fantasy player. I read a stat the other week that he had some of the worst hands (read: dropped balls) in the ENTIRE league. As of right now, he's taking up a roster space.

If Stokley can shake his offseason (or preseason?) injuries, I'd consider using him if the matchup is favorable. Otherwise, an okay bench backup at worst.

Troy Williamson - Good call, I'm curious to see if he can be a real #1 wr.

I'd seriously consider dropping Matt Jones to pick up another rb. In fantasy football, it can rarely hurt to have a solid backup rb or two.
No freaking way. Matt Jones is the reason I will win in this league. He was someone I targeted from the getgo based on what I think about his potential. Same with Williamson. If neither work out, I fully expect to be able to rely upon Harrison/MeShawn. I will feel out the RB situation, but if Alexander is even close to as productive as last year, I dont have any problems.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
No freaking way. Matt Jones is the reason I will win in this league. He was someone I targeted from the getgo based on what I think about his potential. Same with Williamson. If neither work out, I fully expect to be able to rely upon Harrison/MeShawn. I will feel out the RB situation, but if Alexander is even close to as productive as last year, I dont have any problems.
There's one huge difference between Williamson and Jones. Williamson is the default number one option on the Vikings now that Robinson has been cut. Jones is still the number three wideout on the Jags, and his production has been inconsistent at best (I know because I've tried using him in the past). Past experience has also shown me that there are only a handful of teams every year that have a number two wideout capable of putting up respectable weekly fantasy numbers. This year aside, those teams in recent years have been St Louis, Philly (Westbrook is a wideout for all intensive purposes), KC (see Philly), Arizona, and Indy. While I think the Jags can make a serious playoff push this year, Jones' fantasy numbers won't be anything special.

I kinda hope I'm wrong about him this year, as the guy has wicked breakaway speed. If he can learn how to run a route, he will be something special.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Actually, I'll help you out.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/JAC

Jimmy Smith retired.
What? Jimmy Smith retired?:shocked:

Wilford is the number one option, and I THINK that Williams starts opposite of him. From everything I've read, none of the receivers currently on their roster have demonstrated their willingness to become a number one. Wilford doesn't have the physical ability, Williams just isn't, and Jones hasn't shown the dedication.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
No. The depth chart I posted is accurate and Jones is the starter AND he has looked great as of late.

Also, Palmer looked great last nite.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
No. The depth chart I posted is accurate and Jones is the starter AND he has looked great as of late.

Also, Palmer looked great last nite.
Touche. I just saw his stat line from the last game. Something like 4 receptions and a td. It'll be interesting to see if he can keep it up in the regular season. I have a feeling the Jags won't see too many 8 man boxes this season though...