Quantcast

i must be getting smart

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
writing a research paper on Charlie Parker and the Beat generation. in it, i compare Parker to Jack Kerouac, and Dizzy Gillespie to Allen Ginsberg. pull up one of the sources i'm going to use, and what do you know...

John Leland uses the same comparison in his book, Hip: The History.

though, how do i go about expressing my idea as my own, and not those of Leland?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
the Inbred said:
writing a research paper on Charlie Parker and the Beat generation. in it, i compare Parker to Jack Kerouac, and Dizzy Gillespie to Allen Ginsberg. pull up one of the sources i'm going to use, and what do you know...

John Leland uses the same comparison in his book, Hip: The History.

though, how do i go about expressing my idea as my own, and not those of Leland?
just dont read it and swear to god you came up with it on your own...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
it's one of my most-used sources. though...not like it really matters. i doubt the prof is gonna go through and check.

really, i just wanted to brag that my idea mirrored that of a published author.

damn, how did your rep get so high?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
the Inbred said:
it's one of my most-used sources. though...not like it really matters. i doubt the prof is gonna go through and check.

really, i just wanted to brag that my idea mirrored that of a published author.

damn, how did your rep get so high?
Im not boring.

Also, cite EVERYTHING. Ive seen people go down for some stupid ****, so I am WAY thorough.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Poetry is to literature what Jazz is to music.

I'd say that in both genre's it's where abstract meets beauty.

Mind you that might just be the two bottles of red wine i've had this evening talking.... wheres the paranoid smillie when I need it. :(

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
be careful, professors in my dept. are cracking down hard core on this ****. something about some kind of data base you can put a paper into and it pull's up any quotes that relate to other pieces. Anyway, site everything, you owe it to the original author anyway.