Quantcast

I nailed a Lexus on the freeway today

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Originally posted by xbluethunderx
And the lady in the Lexus wasn't angry with me, she actually had lots of pity on my poor black soul... :D
To be honest, I'm pretty damn impressed with the lady if that's how she handled herself. How many of you would be able to keep your cool if someone hurt your new baby? XBX, thanks for having insurance, I'd love to cockpunch those f*ers who aren't covered.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Originally posted by powderboy
Utah drivers man... :rolleyes: To a "T"!

It kills me how bad everyone drives in Utah...

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. 13 years of driving and not a single accident.

I think kids these days are pretty much lost in space man. Too many video games and otherwise useless stuff on their minds to be trusted driving.

xbluethunderx
Sorry about your accident man... that sucks for sure. Everyone makes mistakes, so no worries... you'll be fine.
I was about to say the same thing. It doesn't matter how good a driver you are, for some reason Utah drivers are the worst, most sober stupid drivers on the planet. Funny thing is that it seems like most everybody who lives and drives in the salt lake area or happy valley grew up and learned to drive somewhere else so they think they're always right and everybody else is wrong. The end result is nobody lets anybody merge then they slam on their brakes because they were so concerned about sticking it to the jerk behind them and they didn't realize the guy in front of them was stopped and stuff happens. It's dissapointing to run into something when there's nothing you can do about it, being the middle of summer means you can't blame ice so it's just your own darn fault for not paying attention. Of course if those retarded engineers had designed the freeways so that they'd handle the volume of traffic...

Don't sweat it dude, the sad thing is driving a different car or staying off the freeway or whatever won't help, moving out of state might, but then again it might not either. Insurance is cheap in Utah compared to California, get as much as you can afford because you'll need it every couple years and it's sure easier to wait for an insurance check than it is to have to finance a vehicle.

On the bright side that van was probablly getting pretty rusty from all the road salt so it only had a couple more seasons of useable service left anyways. You just gave your parents an excuse to get rid of the rust sooner than later and you spared somebody the pain of buying that lemon from a used car dealership.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Glad to hear no one was hurt at all, and it'll work out fine for you.

I have to speak up on the caution/vs age thing. To this day, with 15 years of driving, have never had an accident nor a ticket. I got my license at 16 and was driving immediately... in a 1965 Mustang with a 225HP V8.

It's all about awareness.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Originally posted by Kornphlake

On the bright side that van was probablly getting pretty rusty from all the road salt so it only had a couple more seasons of useable service left anyways. You just gave your parents an excuse to get rid of the rust sooner than later and you spared somebody the pain of buying that lemon from a used car dealership.
It was going away in July anyways, but I feel bad about killing the Lexus. Its not totaled...just needs a new trunk :D

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
16 is old enough to get your license. I got mine on my 16th B-day, I have no tickets, no accidents, no even close calls. Im 18 in a couple of months, I really dont think I'm going to change all that much:p

Driving schools are USELESS. I went to a 'good one' and it was stupid. The only reason people go is to save money on insurance (saved me about 2gs/year). The test(s) they give you are so simple its a joke. Not to mention you can re-try if you needed (Re: youd have to be pretty useless..). The only thing I learned in driving school was how to drive like an asshole, ive never been finged more times then in the drivers ed car..

shifty S

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NWDC...Asheville
Originally posted by MMike
Which is why I've said it before, and I'll say it again: 16 is too young to be driving. My kids won't be doing it.

Without exception. EVERY kid I've ever known who drove at 16, got into an accident of some sort within a few months of being turned loose on the roads.

No younger than 18. That's what I say.
funny you should say that, i started driving at 15 and never even had a fender bender or touch parked til the first time i ever drove a car after my 18th birthday...which is when i totalled my car.

that includes a 4 day drive from houston to DC in my brand new (83) convertible mustang, which is a trouble maker of a car if i ever saw one...

drift1492

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
I've driven my 92 Mustang (320-340 hp :cool: ) since the day I turned 16. Not one fender bender. Amazingly, the power of the car has saved me a couple times when I had to swerve around people pulling in front of me, cutting me off, etc...

I didnt even go to driver's ed. My parents "taught" me. I took the test at the DMV. They drove with me a little, gave me the keys when I turned 16, and said "Wreck the car and youll have no car." THAT made me VERY cautious.

But what it all comes down to is LUCK, EXPERIENCE, and MATURITY. You need ALL 3 of them to avoid getting into wrecks all together.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by drift1492
I've driven my 92 Mustang (320-340 hp :cool: ) since the day I turned 16. Not one fender bender......
I would say that I am close to being in the same "club" as you. I am a step 9 (how I do not know) and 1 bent bumper from when I was 17 is the only claim on my insurance. I have had access to fast cars since I learned to drive. I learned to drive stick on a trak-prepped 328is.
Then there is the kid I saw on the local news a few weeks ago. His parents baught him a Firebird WS-6. Guess what happened? The car ended up wrapped around a telephone pole after coming down a 35mph street at 80+ and the drivers 2 best friends were killed. My parents also gave me a long leash when it came to using their cars, but I don't know if I could do the same for my kids (when/if I have them). I would say that you are one of the lucky ones. I have never owned a fast car, but my dad's M3 is sitting in the driveway and I can drive it any time I want (he's on vacation now!!!). I have been driving for 10 years, including track driving/instruction and the M3 still scares the piss out of me. 333hp aint nothing to fool around with (well, not too much). I had it up to 140 a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how easy it was.
Whoever said, "Power currupts..." must have been thinking about cars.:devil: