Quantcast

I need a 56k modem

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I would love broadband, but that costs more. My phone cord is ok, I think that the modem may be a bit too old to work really good in this computer. I used a newer one from my other computer and it workd every time on the first try. It;s just that this one takes a long time to connect sometimes - It's random. Sometimes it's the first try, sometimes it's 15 minutes of trying. :(

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
May be a long shot but you could try updating the drivers for the modem. If you've got a winmodem with the lucent chipset there were some much better drivers released about 5 months ago that got me faster connects and higher speeds.

New modems are cheap, go to a mom and pop PC store and you should be able to find one for less than $10. That should of course be a last resort though.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
dwaugh said:
Because mine doesnt like to connect on the first 20 tries. Anyone have one they dont need anymore that I can use? I tried one from my other computer and it worked.
Let me look around....I may have one to give you....

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
For the driver update just run the windows update utility and it should find newer drivers if there are any available. For specific drivers that may be even newer and not MS certified, I'd need to know a little more about the modem you have. I'm assuming you're using windows xp, if not I'm not really sure if there are any better drivers.