Quantcast

I need a few questions answered please

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well i just got back from one of my best races this year. It was aa Coupe Quebec at St-Felicien I came in 14th which is good considering the guys who win are the best in Canada and i broke my rist a month ago (hairline fracture and still have 4 rist bones out of place and it's extremly painful).
Anyways i've come to realise my best races are aways when i'm still tired after a hard workout or race. Even when i did this Raid that i won this summer the first day was 110km but the next day was 80km and i felt stronger the second day.

This weekend i had a TT trial on Staerday which i came in the middle but i was pleased with my time because i was going really easy in terms of risks cause my rist was really hurting and i didn't want it to get messed up more for Sunday.
I also realised when i got passed by some people that i'm not lacking in phyiscal fitness as much as skills uphill and down hill.

Anyways sunday came and my legs felt i little weak but i had a great race and only lost 13th place because of a section that was level but with lots of bumps and roots and the guy behind me was on a FS bike and just pedalled right through the few Km like that and i just couldn't keep up not from physical tiredness but from the bumps.

So i was wondering if anyone knew why that is that i do better when i'm tired.?

Also are coaches worth the money?

Last but not least next year i want a FS for racing it would help me i think. My company choices are Cannondale, Giant, Devinci, Gary Fisher, Trek, Kona, Santa Cruz assuming things won't change that much for next year what should i get. I want something with XTR level stuff.

Also i figure someone will say you shouldn't race witha messed up rist but my physio says it's good even if it hurts because what i did will no matter what hurt to get it back to normal. Basicaly the break is healed but i have 4 bone that are pushed out of place and when i move my hand back the cartilage and tissue gets pinched because everything out of place.

Thanks for any answer you can give

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
Well i just got back from one of my best races this year. It was aa Coupe Quebec at St-Felicien I came in 14th which is good considering the guys who win are the best in Canada and i broke my rist a month ago (hairline fracture and still have 4 rist bones out of place and it's extremly painful).
Anyways i've come to realise my best races are aways when i'm still tired after a hard workout or race. Even when i did this Raid that i won this summer the first day was 110km but the next day was 80km and i felt stronger the second day.

This weekend i had a TT trial on Staerday which i came in the middle but i was pleased with my time because i was going really easy in terms of risks cause my rist was really hurting and i didn't want it to get messed up more for Sunday.
I also realised when i got passed by some people that i'm not lacking in phyiscal fitness as much as skills uphill and down hill.

Anyways sunday came and my legs felt i little weak but i had a great race and only lost 13th place because of a section that was level but with lots of bumps and roots and the guy behind me was on a FS bike and just pedalled right through the few Km like that and i just couldn't keep up not from physical tiredness but from the bumps.

So i was wondering if anyone knew why that is that i do better when i'm tired.?

Also are coaches worth the money?

Last but not least next year i want a FS for racing it would help me i think. My company choices are Cannondale, Giant, Devinci, Gary Fisher, Trek, Kona, Santa Cruz assuming things won't change that much for next year what should i get. I want something with XTR level stuff.

Also i figure someone will say you shouldn't race witha messed up rist but my physio says it's good even if it hurts because what i did will no matter what hurt to get it back to normal. Basicaly the break is healed but i have 4 bone that are pushed out of place and when i move my hand back the cartilage and tissue gets pinched because everything out of place.

Thanks for any answer you can give
some ppl perform really well after a hard week or a hard day before the race. for some opening up the legs the day before helps immensely (sp?).

the FS bike, if you seeeeeeeeeriously want one......i like the looks of the GF cake.

as for the wrist, just tape the hell out of it.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by Babar
Remember its the engine not the equipment...
I know that any noticable speed increase would be very small but i also do many long races that hurt alot on HTs. Also i think an FS would work well becuase i'm a tempo rider i don't sprint much at all. So i don't think bob would be as big a problem for me.

I'm think Sugar, Fuel, Scalple ( they should come out witha new design for 2004), NRS or Superlight.

I don't like the Blur it looks slow and to heavy also Devinci is a great company but everyone has them here I want something a liitle different.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
If you have the cash go with scott you can build it under 20lb the new genius is also great choice but a few pound heavier.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I am considering just buying a frame and building it up i always seem to end up changing things to my prefernec anyway. But how might i get my hands on a Scott usa?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
But some of the parts are a bit sketchy or impractical. Those tires are pretty small. They would only work well in a few circumstances and won't be durable. I would not recommend that SID for a full suspension bike like the Spider or Blur or Superlight. You'll be hitting pedals right left and center when you compress the suspension. I have an idea of the terrain in Qubec where JMAC races. I think he'd find it rough enough that a 100mm fork would be a benefit. And bebop pedals? Yeah you see those every where. And rim brakes will go the way of the dodo within the next few years. They cannot compete with disc brakes. I rode my old TREK to work in the rain yesterday. It has v brakes and they stink compared with my discs on the Superlight.

Out of all those brands JMAC, i don't think there's a dog among them. They all make a worthy fs race bike. It'll come down to personnal preference and price. You'll have to judge for yourself wheather you want a longer travel bike or short one like a Scalpel. Oh and the Blur is only about 100 grams (?) heavier than the Superlight. The boys at the LBS told the weight diff a while back but I can't remember the exact numbers. I just remember it wasn't that much. They also told me that the Blur has more travel than they advertise. More like 4.8 inches. They didn't want people thinking it was a freeride bike so they only claim 4.5. I plan on getting one next spring. I've ridden one on a couple pretty good test rides and it rocks.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
Its a suggestion theres plenty of other substitution you can make also have you ever owned and ridden FRM, Steinbach, Tune and Extralite parts ? I think they are strong, light and simple.

Unless Disk can come close to v-brakes in terms of weight and cost, i think v-brakes are superior for racing.

It comes down to what he would like, race bike or a trail bike.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I think you'd have a hard time finding anyone in Quebec who would take V's over disks no matter the weight. We have comparable condition to NVan here i'm only had 2-3 races that were dry the rest were really muddy. XC coarses here aren't the same as the US we have really technicle riding here i lose i'd estimate about 5 minutes to the leaders from them just have better skills and i'm not bad at all.

Ya i definently am not a weight weenie you can't be here and have you're bike last a week. I want things that are light but still durable.
I'd be happy with a FS under 24-25 pounds since thats what my HT weighs.
Also i can't afford a Spider.

The Blur never really made me excited when i've seen it because it looks bulky and has a lot of travel. But it doesn't seem to be much more expensive than the superlight.

I've ridden the superlight as a rental and i really liked it except for the ghost shifting which other people have told me they had to but some people have no problems.

I'm going to call my LBS because i remember him telling me about a thing C-dale does that you can trade in your old frame and fork and get something like 500$ off a new frame and fork. Which could be good like i could scalple. But i think i'd rather have a second bike.

I do have 100mm lefty on my bike now and like that amount of travel actual.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
You obviously havent rode here in colorado, Its rocky as hell. We do get really muddy in the winter and in summer after huge thunderstorm, V-brakes works just fine except in the winter snow it freezes.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
No you're right i haven't been riding in Colorado but we really need disks almost year round here.

Anyways i see that you are in Colorado Springs we should be able to go rding together in the near future if you're interrested.
Both my Grand Mother and my Aunt and Uncle live in Colorado Springs and the last time i was there was before i started riding so it's about time i go visite my familly out there. My dad took my older brother out there a month ago but i stayed because i had a Canada Cup my mum was taking me to.

A bike that looks like it would be perfect is last years S-Works FSR but stupid specialized came out with the epic which i'm not sure about and it's way over priced.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
Contact me if youre visiting !

If you look at Norba Junior ranking Eric ranks 1st (last time i checked he also lives here) he rides a 00 or was it 01 specialized S-works FSR i think his weighs 22lb and let me say ive raced with him and this guy is FAST. But then my bike weighed 30lb, it was long ago... anyways I think he recently changed to 02 RM Element Team SC, I think he got it on clearance like i did with my vertex team sc.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
I know that any noticable speed increase would be very small but i also do many long races that hurt alot on HTs. Also i think an FS would work well becuase i'm a tempo rider i don't sprint much at all. So i don't think bob would be as big a problem for me.

I'm think Sugar, Fuel, Scalple ( they should come out witha new design for 2004), NRS or Superlight.

I don't like the Blur it looks slow and to heavy also Devinci is a great company but everyone has them here I want something a liitle different.
lol, don't i remember you saying something about not ever riding a giant? anyway, NRS, scalpel, fuel, cake are all good bikes, but i was at my lbs the other day, and the devinci moonracer looks really nice. looks really light, full xtr (including new wheels and disk brakes, the wheels i heard you can use as tubeless, im not 100% sure though) but im not sure of the price.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by NRSracer
lol, don't i remember you saying something about not ever riding a giant? anyway, NRS, scalpel, fuel, cake are all good bikes, but i was at my lbs the other day, and the devinci moonracer looks really nice. looks really light, full xtr (including new wheels and disk brakes, the wheels i heard you can use as tubeless, im not 100% sure though) but im not sure of the price.
Ya i really like the Moonracer but there's sooooo many around here and they cost $5000 it kinda pisses me off cause so many people i race against are on 4000$ bikes and there parents so pay for them.:angry: I'm still not totally sure about a FS i'm definnently getting a new bike but i saw one of the new XTC hardtails for 2004 at Grouse MT and the have these cool carbon seat stays. I'm also thinking about getting a 04 Kona Kula Deluxe it's 2699 and looks really good except for a few things on it.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Build up a used Titus Racer X with Hope Minis and an air fork that is not a SID. Go tubeless and upgrade the rest when you can. The superlight is sooo flexy in the rear that coming from a HT, you'd especially hate.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Spin's got something with the racer-X and also the spider XVP(same concept as the blur)

All theses ching ching companys with XTR is going to cost you a fortune even more if you build it yourself.

I know you a little bit and how you are very race oriented so If you don't have tons and tons of money I would go with bigger names race proven bikes.

Trek Fuel, Fischer sugar etc...

BTW you did not get what the blur is about at all.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Wahoo i just went to my LBS and he has a crappy catolog of ALL the 2004 bikes the pictures suck but he had prices and specs.

The 04 scalple 800 has the Sobe team colors. The retail he says is 2600$can but he can sell it to me for 2200$ which is and awsome deal.
He had a 2003 model of it which is topaz which someone had in the shop to work i tried it and the fork (fatty ultra dl not lefty) felt way better than my lefty from 2002 it just has less travel but it felt so smooth. It's exactly what i want and i weighed it it came out on a digital scale at 26.5 and my F800 hardtail weighs in at just under 25 i think. I could get the scalple 2000 for about 500-600$ more but they both have the same wheelset and i don't want a lefty.
I love the lefty but it's kind of impraticle for wheelsets and roof racks and stuff.
Plus the 2000 is ugly in terms of colors compaired to sobe team colors. Also i rather spend the extra money on upgrading tjhings i want. I think i can drop the weight of the 800 to atleast that of my HT very easily by removing the lock out, stans no tubes and some lighter othe stuff i'd throw on.

So want do you think?

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Wahoo i just went to my LBS and he has a crappy catolog of ALL the 2004 bikes the pictures suck but he had prices and specs.

The 04 scalple 800 has the Sobe team colors. The retail he says is 2600$can but he can sell it to me for 2200$ which is and awsome deal.
He had a 2003 model of it which is topaz which someone had in the shop to work i tried it and the fork (fatty ultra dl not lefty) felt way better than my lefty from 2002 it just has less travel but it felt so smooth. It's exactly what i want and i weighed it it came out on a digital scale at 26.5 and my F800 hardtail weighs in at just under 25 i think. I could get the scalple 2000 for about 500-600$ more but they both have the same wheelset and i don't want a lefty.
I love the lefty but it's kind of impraticle for wheelsets and roof racks and stuff.
Plus the 2000 is ugly in terms of colors compaired to sobe team colors. Also i rather spend the extra money on upgrading tjhings i want. I think i can drop the weight of the 800 to atleast that of my HT very easily by removing the lock out, stans no tubes and some lighter othe stuff i'd throw on.

So want do you think?
If you can try the scapel on the trails and make sure you like the ride.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado

So want do you think?

Post full spec

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Actually i'm really sure i'm going to get the scalpel 2000 it's just such a good deal even if the color sheme isn't as cool.

I took the specs from the F2000sl but they are the same for the scalpel 2000 except it has a DLR TI Lefty everything is XT or XTR and it has the dual control xt shifters which i want. It will end up costing the same afetr i upgrade the 800 maybe cheaper even. $3000 canadian is about the best deal i can get is that good?

Fork Lefty DLR Ti
Rear Shock some new DT swiss thing i think
Rims Mavic XM 819 Disc UST, 24 hole
Hubs New DT240 Disc rear,
Cannondale Wind front
Spokes DT Super Comp
Tires Hutchinson Scorpion Light UST, 26 x 2.0"
Pedals Not included
Crank Shimano XT, 22/32/44
Chain Shimano HG-73
Rear Cogs Shimano XT, 11-34
Bottom Bracket Shimano XT
Front Derailleur Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR
Shifters Shimano XT
Handlebars Cannondale Wind, Carbon, 120g
Stem Cannondale HeadShok Si
Headset Cannondale HeadShok Si
Brakeset Shimano XT
Brakelevers Shimano XT
Saddle Fi'zi:k Plateau
Seat Post Cannondale Wind Carbon
Colors Jet Black (matte) (BBQ).

Sizes P, S, M, L, X
Weight

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by Babar
But do you have to buy a cannondale ?

You could build it cheaper from mail order...
No i don't HAVE to buy a Cannondale i could get Kona,Trek,Gary Fisher, Santa Cruz, Devinci, or Giant but i think i's the best deal with the best frame don't you agree. I can acytually get most ccompanys it's just those are the bikes that are carried from shops that aren't far from me and that I like. Remember that's cannadian so that would be like 2000$ USD if i ordered stuff from the US.

The SC Blur is the BEST bike on the market. I have one, and 5 friends have one. They are all of different levels of experience and skill, yet they all say the same thing, "Oh my f**king gawd".
I have been on 6 different FS designs. Nothing touches the Blur. It climbs like a scalded monkey and descends like a hawk. The rear end is SOOO stiff, it tracks over everything.
Riding it around a store means nothing, take the leap of faith. There will be no regrets.
If you can afford this and buy another bike, you're a fool.

If you have even more money and want a slightly lighter, slightly shorter travel, race-only bike buy the Intense Spyder.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Actually i'm really sure i'm going to get the scalpel 2000 it's just such a good deal even if the color sheme isn't as cool.

I took the specs from the F2000sl but they are the same for the scalpel 2000 except it has a DLR TI Lefty everything is XT or XTR and it has the dual control xt shifters which i want. It will end up costing the same afetr i upgrade the 800 maybe cheaper even. $3000 canadian is about the best deal i can get is that good?

Fork Lefty DLR Ti
Rear Shock some new DT swiss thing i think
Rims Mavic XM 819 Disc UST, 24 hole
Hubs New DT240 Disc rear,
Cannondale Wind front
Spokes DT Super Comp
Tires Hutchinson Scorpion Light UST, 26 x 2.0"
Pedals Not included
Crank Shimano XT, 22/32/44
Chain Shimano HG-73
Rear Cogs Shimano XT, 11-34
Bottom Bracket Shimano XT
Front Derailleur Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR
Shifters Shimano XT
Handlebars Cannondale Wind, Carbon, 120g
Stem Cannondale HeadShok Si
Headset Cannondale HeadShok Si
Brakeset Shimano XT
Brakelevers Shimano XT
Saddle Fi'zi:k Plateau
Seat Post Cannondale Wind Carbon
Colors Jet Black (matte) (BBQ).

Sizes P, S, M, L, X
Weight
that looks like a pretty good deal, especially since c-dale's are usually overpriced. i think i'm actually kinda taking a liking to the cannondales now,not so much the road bikes, but kinda the scalpels, they actually look really nice.

what are you racing now by the way, still cadet or sport now?

anyway good luck with the bike purchase

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
that looks like a pretty good deal, especially since c-dale's are usually overpriced. i think i'm actually kinda taking a liking to the cannondales now,not so much the road bikes, but kinda the scalpels, they actually look really nice.

what are you racing now by the way, still cadet or sport now?

anyway good luck with the bike purchase
A few more Cadet races than the season is over. I start racing Junoir Xpert next spring and i hope to do the MT.Snow and Snowshoe Norba races next year maybe you'll be at one?

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
A few more Cadet races than the season is over. I start racing Junoir Xpert next spring and i hope to do the MT.Snow and Snowshoe Norba races next year maybe you'll be at one?
yeah dude i'm almost 100% that i'll be at mt snow, and i'm pretty sure i'll be at snowshoe too. And i'll more than likely be racing junior expert as well.

good luck
pat

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Nice! I'm hoping they will have it sort of like this year so i could drive to Snowshoe than up to Mt.Snow. It depends on how well i do next year but i might do all the Canada cup series to. I'm hoping i can race at Sea Otter to. I need a sponser badly.:devil:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Nice! I'm hoping they will have it sort of like this year so i could drive to Snowshoe than up to Mt.Snow. It depends on how well i do next year but i might do all the Canada cup series to. I'm hoping i can race at Sea Otter to. I need a sponser badly.:devil:
JMAC - there will supposedly be TWO stops at Mt. Snow next year so I'm thinking they will put one back to back with Snowshoe, and then they said that the other would be the series final in August.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by Heidi
JMAC - there will supposedly be TWO stops at Mt. Snow next year so I'm thinking they will put one back to back with Snowshoe, and then they said that the other would be the series final in August.
Thats awsome Heidi I will be able to do the August one for sure it's just this year i couldn't go because of exams hopefully they will have better timing but either way there should be a way around it.

I've heard that a Canadaian can't actually be US national champion right because you have to be an American but I have US and Canadian citizenship so could i be a US nation Champion? I won't be that good next year but i was just thinking.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Thats awsome Heidi I will be able to do the August one for sure it's just this year i couldn't go because of exams hopefully they will have better timing but either way there should be a way around it.

I've heard that a Canadaian can't actually be US national champion right because you have to be an American but I have US and Canadian citizenship so could i be a US nation Champion? I won't be that good next year but i was just thinking.
nope have to be a full US citizen to win the US jersey. Kirk molday was a duel citizen when he won the norba championship for his first time and switched over and got a full US before he won his second one.

hey heidi you gonna go to the race in austin????

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
I don't know, depends when it is. Do they actually have hills in Austin??????
hills??? baby it ain't all about hills :D sometimes there are courses that actually require the common practice of pure speed :p i'm sure the course is going to be rolling if anything probably like the conyers course was/is. that place is a torture trap. you look at it going "man that's no problem at all...." *after lap 3* "oh shiet, this blows one more lap to go??!!??!?! :eek:" if you can go to it i would say do it if anything for the experience.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
3 NORBA visits to the east? that's friggin great!
now i'll more than likely make it to all three

is the rockstar gonna be there (mt.snow/snowshoe)?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
3 NORBA visits to the east? that's friggin great!
now i'll more than likely make it to all three

is the rockstar gonna be there (mt.snow/snowshoe)?
I will probably just hit one of the Mt. Snow stops. I won't have as much vacation time next year. :(

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
I will probably just hit one of the Mt. Snow stops. I won't have as much vacation time next year. :(
it's cool that you'll be there for one, but it sucks that you don't have as much vacation. Are you driving or flying?

you're racing pro now right?