Quantcast

I need a hard case!

scvw79

Chimp
Sep 9, 2005
Aptos, CA
Im moving to New Zealand and have been franticly searching for a hardcase that I can ship my turner in . Ive been checking the classifides and on craigslist, but havent found anything. If anyone has one to part with, I would be most greatfull....:cheers:

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
I've got one, I'd sell it pretty cheap, but I'm all the way in Napa. I want to get a bigger one for next year with a bit more room so it isn't such a pain to disassemble/reassemble my bike (I did it like 10 times or more this summer).

Mine had enough room for my DHR w/ 888 if I took the fork off, and some other small things and held up well, but you did need to be a bit creative to get it to fit properly.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I shipped my Demo8 and my Enduro together with no padding, just lots of tape so things couldn't move, to Spain and back. Nothing broke! This was with a standard bike box. I took out all the heavy stuff (shock on Demo8, pedals, deraillures, etc) and put that in a suitcase, and the two bikes together were like 60 or so pounds. The bikes were so well taped together that they couldn't really move much. Oh, and leave your tires behind, then buy new ones with the killer exchange rate in New Zealand. Less weight and fresh rubber!

Safe travels!

slashk

Chimp
Jan 8, 2006
Oh, and leave your tires behind, then buy new ones with the killer exchange rate in New Zealand. Less weight and fresh rubber!
Actually, leave your tires behind because unless they are new NZ customs might confiscate them. They are very strict on importing dirt or mud from outside NZ. When I flew into Auckland last week, I thought they were going to nab my trail running shoes.

Oh, and the exchange rate sucks. What was 0.33/dollar about two years ago is now 0.68/dollar now.

Having said that, NZ rocks. Have fun in Rotaru.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If you're still looking for something, shoot me a PM. I'm in Walnut Creek and have a collapsible Crateworks box you could have for free, so long as you pick it up.

Ed: Also, definitely bring new rubber with you when you travel. I wouldn't buy new tires there...selection and such can be a PITA if you're in a hurry. No need to spend time shopping right off the bat, IMHO. I put new rubber on, and the inspector was pretty impressed by the effort to keep the bike clean, so he didn't give me a hard time about anything. (Plus, the fact that I'd completely disassembled and cleaned the bike, replacing a lot of old parts for the trip, showed...)