Quantcast

i need a headtube!!

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
You need to brush up on your bike vocabulary. I think you mean steerer tube. You can get those from the manufacturers of the fork. Another thing in that general region is a headset, stem, crown race. WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY HERE?!?!?!?!

If you are serious then there is nothing we can do to help you. The only thing you can do is find a local welder who will charge an arm and a leg for a head tube swap. Highly unlikely though.

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
aggrorider said:
You need to brush up on your bike vocabulary. I think you mean steerer tube. You can get those from the manufacturers of the fork. Another thing in that general region is a headset, stem, crown race. WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY HERE?!?!?!?!
Sounds to me like he is trying to get a head tube...why else would he want to know what the inside diameter of a 1/8" tube would be...

Have you checked out Reynolds site yet?

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
aggrorider said:

If you are serious then there is nothing we can do to help you. The only thing you can do is find a local welder who will charge an arm and a leg for a head tube swap. Highly unlikely though.
umm i think he might be building a frame. you can do that you know

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Dan,

If you are in fact building a frame, you might check out this forum, FrameForum for more info. I'm sure someone there can lead you in the right direction.

Another good resource is the frame builders email list.
http://www.phred.org/mailman/listinfo/framebuilders

Good luck with your project. I've been wanting to build a frame for years, and hopefully will this winter when I have time to take a class in welding.

Peter

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I forget where I found it - but I have the standrads for both 1.125" and 1.5" at home. If I can't find it quickly (google...) and I remember - I'll post it tonight.

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
lovebunny said:
umm i think he might be building a frame. you can do that you know
Ummm...no I didn't know that....

Yes I do! hence the Sinister bikes link in my sig which is a custom bike builder.

It's not every day that someone just strolls onto a site and asks for a headtube. Usually if they are a builder they would know where to get their supplies or manufacturer them themselves. I have people that come into the shop I work at and ask for a crankset when they really mean a hub. The point is that I just thought that this guy may be a person who didn't know bike vocabulary. Sorry for the confusion.

I don't know where to pick up a headtube, but my advice would be to search the web or try and find a local welder to see if you can pick one up.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
aggrorider said:
Ummm...no I didn't know that....

Yes I do! hence the Sinister bikes link in my sig which is a custom bike builder.
Maybe it's just your 'tone'...

And Sinister is a bit more than just a custom bike builder these days...

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
According to Chris King's website, the bore diameter of a 1 1/8" headtube should be 33.9mm.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Sir_Crackien said:
where do the people on this forum get their headtubes?? if yuo guys make them what is the I.D. of a 1.125 headtube?

thanks

dan
Lon Kennedy
NOVA CYCLES SUPPLY INC.
4111 Citrus Ave # 8
Rocklin, CA 95677
916-624-6549

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Slugman said:
Maybe it's just your 'tone'...

And Sinister is a bit more than just a custom bike builder these days...
As for the tone thing, one can never know how another is thinking on the internet, I hate it when that happens.

As for the sinister thing, no they are not truely a custom builder, but they build their frames from scratch is the point I was getting to.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i'm looking for a head tube for a frame i want to biuld. i though it was fairly clear. i has access to a tig welder that i can use myself. also i have been practising welding and i getting kinda good at it. so i though i want a bike that no one would be willing to biuld so i though that i would biuld it myself. think trials chain stay length and top tube measurements with a slacker head tube angle. also it would have maggie mounts on the rear although this might change to disc

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Smelly said:
what the heck does made from scratch mean? aren't all bikes?
OMG! do I have to spell out everything I say. What I meant was sinister bikes are manufactured from 6061 aluminum->tubing->welded by hand by Frank the Welder.