Quantcast

I need a little help, (broken hand?)

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Okay I went off a launch on my bmx bike today, and apparently the top bolt on my headset stripped and the stem wasn't very tight, because when I yanked up on the bars my stem slid off right as i got into the air. Well I tryed to bail but for some reason I didn't :help: and I crashed hands first on the landing and tumbled down the hill.
When I woke up, and stood up I looked at my hand because it had sharp pains, and it had a bulge on the top of it. Well I was terrified of the sight of it so I closed my eyes and clenched my hand. I felt a pop, and like a relief of pressure in my hand, but it still hurt like crazy. I looked at it and it was a little swollen, and red. When I got inside I put some ice on it, and the swellings gone down a little and it does't hurt terribly to type. I can move my fingers and make somewhat of a grip, but when I try to flatten my hand it hurts most.

My problem, well besides the obvious, I don't want to go the hospital unless I know its broken. And I don't know what to do. I know that when you break a bone you are supposed to feel sick to your stomach but I don't so. ???? :help: :help:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Go to a doctor now. There are several bones in your hand that you can break and not know it until your hand is a useless lump. Now get thee to a doctor.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If you think it is broke, it probably is. I knew with my glove still on that one of my knucles wasn't in the right place.

btw -- I broke my wirst twice and never felt sick, but the knuckle looking funny got me or it could just been the f'n pain.

Oh yeah. Go see the doc.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Dirtjumper999 said:
Okay I went off a launch on my bmx bike today, and apparently the top bolt on my headset stripped and the stem wasn't very tight, because when I yanked up on the bars my stem slid off right as i got into the air. Well I tryed to bail but for some reason I didn't :help: and I crashed hands first on the landing and tumbled down the hill.
When I woke up, and stood up I looked at my hand because it had sharp pains, and it had a bulge on the top of it. Well I was terrified of the sight of it so I closed my eyes and clenched my hand. I felt a pop, and like a relief of pressure in my hand, but it still hurt like crazy. I looked at it and it was a little swollen, and red. When I got inside I put some ice on it, and the swellings gone down a little and it does't hurt terribly to type. I can move my fingers and make somewhat of a grip, but when I try to flatten my hand it hurts most.

My problem, well besides the obvious, I don't want to go the hospital unless I know its broken. And I don't know what to do. I know that when you break a bone you are supposed to feel sick to your stomach but I don't so. ???? :help: :help:
:think:

That's a lot of typing with one hand + commas and smilie insertions...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I got so good at typing (and doing other things) with one hand. It was most excellent, and really not that difficult. Damn it was liberating with both after a couple months...

I know of the conclusions this post will draw.

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
Well, I'd have to see your hand and perform some special tests to make an accurate diagnosis. Initially it sounds like you dislocated the lunate (a carpal bone in the hand at the wrist). A fracture at the scaphoid would need to be ruled out, though. So yes go to the doctor to rule this out.

If it is a dislocation, you will be immobilized for about 6 weeks but early diagnosis is best. If you wait you may have chronic ligament instability. This will result in surgery to either repair the soft tissue or a bony fusion. Delaying treatment could also lead to degenerative changes in the bones in your hand.

Hope this helps!

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Well, back and its not broken, thank goodness. and get, this the doc was a roadie. He said that what most likely happened was that one of the bones of my knuckles were dislocated. He said if anything I'll have really sore muscles for a couple weeks. It didn't look like any of the bones were cracked in the x-ray, but you could see my callusses (sp). He put an acebandage on my hand and told me to put a heating pad on it, and said to nurse it a little. He said a whole ton of things that I didn't get, so he mainly spoke to my mom, who's an RN.

J

JRB

Glad to hear it's not broken. Not glad to hear that blue types with one hand all the time. :eek: