Quantcast

I need a new car, under $2,000.00

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I am looking for a wagon under 2 grand. any suggestions?

are Volvo wagons OK? subaru, or toyota or something.
because I only have 2 grand, the year will probably be 85-92 or so.

I guess i'm just looking for any advice like "don't buy the [whatever], it sucks!", etc.

suggestions?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pnj said:
I am looking for a wagon under 2 grand. any suggestions?

are Volvo wagons OK? subaru, or toyota or something.
because I only have 2 grand, the year will probably be 85-92 or so.

I guess i'm just looking for any advice like "don't buy the [whatever], it sucks!", etc.

suggestions?
Damn. I wish I'd have known about 2 months ago. I had a '95 Subaru wagon for $2k.

Sorry, :monkey:

Around here you can find newer Sube's with high mileage for around that price.

-S.S.-

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
"newer" for 2000 dollars? high mileage must be 10^7 or so then.

do they come w/ sub-$300 DSLRs? are you living in sub-Sahara Africa by chance ;)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
"newer" for 2000 dollars? high mileage must be 10^7 or so then.

do they come w/ sub-$300 DSLRs? are you living in sub-Sahara Africa by chance ;)
Newer than '92, that was my point.........

I've never owned a car that was not at least 5 years old. And that 5 year old one has 126k when I bought it. I consider cars to be still "new" if they were made after 1994.

I need :help: :D

-S.S.-

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'm the same way. 'new' is less then 12 years old. I will never ever own a brand new car. I'm a poor, broke bastard.

my toyota, that just died, had over 200k miles easy.

wagons seem to be popular with the lesbians around here.....

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
rpk1988 said:
Check on www.cars.com or www.cartrader.com

That will be your best bet to find something in that odd price range.
ODD? what, are you rich? :D

i've been all over autotrader, cars.com doesn't seem to be being very nice....

I'll have to do the drive by the local lots this weekend, I guess.... :dead:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
Newer than '92, that was my point.........

I've never owned a car that was not at least 5 years old. And that 5 year old one has 126k when I bought it. I consider cars to be still "new" if they were made after 1994.

I need :help: :D

-S.S.-
i'm not that tight a skinflint, but i definitely try to keep the car cost reasonable (one i'm driving now was under 10K, an '02 and in great shape with ~60K on it).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
i'm not that tight a skinflint, but i definitely try to keep the car cost reasonable (one i'm driving now was under 10K, an '02 and in great shape with ~60K on it).
Ahhhhh... crap. I lied. I recently bought a '01 Honda Odyssey with 30k on it for 15k.

I inherited the '97 Outback with 112k.

But that's my wife's car. So maybe I didn't lie. :rolleyes:

I appreciate the skinflint comment, though! :thumb: I just got a pair of alpine ski bindings for *shipping*: Marker 9.1 selective control. Nice binders.

-S.S.-

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
pnj said:
ODD? what, are you rich? :D

i've been all over autotrader, cars.com doesn't seem to be being very nice....

I'll have to do the drive by the local lots this weekend, I guess.... :dead:
No but I got rear ended by a dumb truck in my 93' van. The other insurance company said it was totaled so I got a new(well used) car. We searched over cars.com and found a 2002 Subaru Outback for a good price with low miles, went and checked it out and we are satisfied. So now I have that. But yea, that will prob be the place to find something. Good Luck.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
My Tercel is what is being replaced. it's going to cost more to fix then it's worth so I was thinking just spending the dough on something else.

graiglist blows. i spent a few hours on it yesterday. :dead:

and, i'm not in freakin tahoe, i'm in lesbian country. :D

For the $ you have to spend your most important asset is patience, which is tough when you need a car sooner rather than later, and you're like that pnj guy who just wants to get s**t done without a buncha f***ing around. All you will most likely get off a lot for that price is a steaming pile of crap. If a lot is selling a car for 2k it's really worth about 1k.

If you do get a car off a lot, don't ever pay more than 60% or 70% absolute maximum of their asking price. Not sure? walk away, if they run after you you offered too much, offer less.

Craigslist can be good but you have to know what you're buying and buy it fast, craigslist is great for sellers.

Every neighborhood has one of those streets where people park their cars with for sale signs on them. There's a couple places in West Seattle I can watch. Tell everybody at work and all your friends you need good cheap transpo and see what comes up. There's tons and tons of used cars out there but everyone thinks they're worth more than they really are.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I am one of those guys like pnj. :)

I would rather buy from an individual then a lot. I hate cars salesmen, lots. :D