Quantcast

I need a new coffee grinder!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That's a bit more than I'm willing to spend. Just a bit. I french press all my coffee, is the grind quality really that important?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I've had a Mr. Coffee mill for like 9 years now that kicks the crap outta more expensive ones.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I've had a Mr. Coffee mill for like 9 years now that kicks the crap outta more expensive ones.
Yeah, um...no.

I have a Mazzer Mini. Odddly, it's the only thing I've bought ever has ever appreciated in value. I think I paid about $295 for it 6 years ago. It's almost $700 now. Again, if you think your Mr. Coffee stands up to it, you're the idiot who thinks that a Huffy and Turner are the same.

Who forecast the the best investment would have been to buy Italian coffee grinders?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Yeah, um...no.

I have a Mazzer Mini. Odddly, it's the only thing I've bought ever has ever appreciated in value. I think I paid about $295 for it 6 years ago. It's almost $700 now. Again, if you think your Mr. Coffee stands up to it, you're the idiot who thinks that a Huffy and Turner are the same.

Who forecast the the best investment would have been to buy Italian coffee grinders?
I said my Mr. Coffee mill stands up to more expensive ones. Like a Huffy standing up to a dept store Schwinn or Mongoose.

For what it is, it works great. The motor is fast and powerful and it has good capacity for a cheap, basic rotary mill. It was a gift too, I didn't even pay the $20 it originally sold for and I've had 9 years of daily use out of it.

You spent almost $300 to grind coffee. Who's the idiot?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ordered this one... I'll let you know:

http://www.koobiescoffee.com/productDetails.do;jsessionid=CC32D92FAD59DC264DD806F2307617E2?productID=62&categoryID=34

And yes, it's fairly important for French Press if you like consistency - it's very hard with a blade grinder in my experience to get a grind that is at ALL uniform in particle size. There's always powder which will muck up the press brew.
Cone filter: insert beans in blade mill and count to 9.

French press: count to 7.

If you are worried about fine particles then you need to have your vag sewn shut.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Cone filter: insert beans in blade mill and count to 9.

French press: count to 7.
Your blade grinder must be better than mine. If I just count to 9 I end up with about 1/3 powder, 1/3 nicely sized French press bits and 1/3 nearly whole beans.

For my French press I took to grinding the beans at the store in their big burr grinder.