Quantcast

I need a new fork

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Ok, I've been getting into dirt jumping quite a bit lately. I've just started doing doubles. I was down at softies last week and I nose taged really hard. That pretty much screwed up my fork bigtime. It wasn't a good for in any means(2000 judy race), but it was working ok for what I was doing. Anyways, I'm looking at a new fork, and I'm wondering if anyone out there rides a fox. I'm trying to keep my bike fairly lightweight, so that's why the foxes are apealing to me. I'm thinking about the vanila, float or talas. I would prefer the talas, but that's alot more money. I like the idea of the float because I can pump it up and not have to deal with changing springs to change the preload(although the vanila has preload adjustment, its not quite as durastic).

Any thoughts? Any sugestions on other forks? I'm really hoping to get a fork that is less than 5 pounds, and less than $550 retail when new.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
haha, ya i know. the judy sucks. It was working fine for quite a while. then after a couple cases and that nose tag, I think it just kinda screwed something up. There's alot more creaking now than what I'm comfortable with. The internals just feel crapy, but I have the wrong weight oil inside, so that's my fault. Ya, its just been lately that its been making a bunch of noise and it wasn't that bad before I nose taged a double down at softies. So i'm pretty sure that just put it over the edge. I did go jumping again last week and it was working ok then. It just needs to be replaced... fast... That's why I need some input on what kinda fork to get now.

Oh ya, I'd like to be able to adjust the travel, or at least be able to have it around 80 or 100mm of travel one way or another.

d4p4b

Chimp
Dec 21, 2004
hey i got a pitbull w/ a talas coming in the mail, when i get ill post a review. but i hear its a purdy sweet fork. hang tight.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I like the new stances. You can get a 20 mm on the Static. But that doesnt have much adjusment. I was going to tell you to go with the DJ series or maybe even a Manitou Sherman.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
I don't want a marzocchi dj fork. I've ridden those before, and when they may be stiff, its not worth the weight. just too stupid heavy. unless they've lost 2 or 3 pounds for 2005... I kinda thought about the sherman jumper fork. I've ridden Kyle's transition(kyle meaning half owner of transition) and he has some short travel sherman fork on the front of his and if feels really nice. a little soft for what I thought it would be but maybe that's just the way he likes it. I could go 20mm, currently that's not what I have, but I could upgrade, I could use a new wheelset in the neer future too.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
I just bought a Pike and took it out to ray's in OH last month for the first time. That fork is the best all around beat on fork I have ever ridden, tons of adjustabillity, really stiff and somewhat light weight. plus the lockout is nice for jumping and it has the preload adjustment.

I think they also are introducing an air model not sure if it's out yet.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I have a sherman dj on my jumper and it rules. It takes a little getting used to the low ride height in terms of manuals and jumping, but once you do it is awesome. Get a higher rise bar/shorter stem if you want to adjust to the small race/axle distance. At least that is how I adjusted.

Ynot

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
I was at softies a few weeks ago and saw a guy do a 50/50 landing and destroy his brand new Stance Static. I was considering getting a Static as an affordable 20mm upgrade to replace my 2003 DJ1, but now I don't think so.
I also nose cased hard and put a creak in my DJ1. I think I am going to go for the 05 DJ1 through the crash replacement progran at Marzzochi, but that would mean going from 130mm to 100mm travel. An adjustable travel Pike would be cool but they don't have the air preload that is a great feature on the Djs.
How important is longer travel on a DJ/freeride fork?