Quantcast

i need a new rim... local north county SD

does anybody have a really strong v-brake rim that is just lying around? something like a sun big mammoth fat? mine has a developing crack where i guess sun put the two ends of the rim together...:confused:
please help anybody local...:help: :help:
32 hole
open to any offer on a strong DH/FR v-brake rim... doesn't have to be a big mammoth fat.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
uhh . . . I got one that looks like V brakes would work . . . I dunno how long it will hold up if you trashed a mammoth though. Rear or front?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Beyond bikes has Rhinolyte XLs for $35.99. They are welded instead of pinned so they are actually stronger than Mammoths and a few dollars cheaper. Unless you can get someone to give you an old mavic 521 I'd just pick up a new rim.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Maybe you aren't old enough to realize it yet but you pretty much get what you pay for. I wouldn't try to save money on something like a rim, especially not $15 unless the rim that cost $15 less got stellar reviews. To put things in perspective the Mavic D721 (D521 with a new name) costs about $70 and the Sun Rhynolite XL costs about $35. Both have braking surfaces for rim brakes, both come from top manufacturers and both were designed for light downhill or freeride. I'd say these are your only options, either new or used I really wouldn't consider anything else or you will be dissapointed. Rim brake compatible wheels are pretty much obsolete for downhill and freeride but these two rims still sell well enough that they haven't been removed from the product line up, to me that says that they are superior products. Mediocre products don't stay around very long when new technology emerges, really stellar products occasionally do. I don't know how else to emphasize that for a rim brake specific wheel there really are only two rims you should be considering and if price is the deciding factor the decision is pretty simple. The only fault I've ever seen in rhynolites is that they are made from a softer alloy than the 721 so they ding a little easier if you run air pressure too low and some claim that the 721s are a little stronger but I don't know of any way to quantify that.