Quantcast

I need a new wheelset...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
For trail riding. They need to have a 20mm axle and be decently light and strong. Anyone know of any deals? Best Ive seen is a Rhyno lite Marz 20mm, XT set at Go-ride.com, but are those relatively light? They will be going on my bullit and seeing some abusive riding.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Azonic Outlaws?

Not sure about the weight but they are decently priced and can take some abuse. I love mine.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ciaran said:
Azonic Outlaws?

Not sure about the weight but they are decently priced and can take some abuse. I love mine.
Weight is definitley a consideration. I dont need DH wheels, and my bike as it sits is now at about 37.5 pounds, with heavy wheels.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I just did a search on those wheels Ciaran, they are 36spoke and have a convertible hub. I have not had good luck with those things, at least not the dimension one I have now anyway...
Any other ideas?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Well, I am not sure about the weight. They might be heavy, they might be middle of the road, but they are not "light".

Try checking out Universal Cycles ( http://www.universalcycles.com/ ) I have had very good luck with them in the past and they have some decent prices on pre-built wheelsets.

Screw it, just get a set of Industry 9's. :drool:
BurlyShirley said:
I just did a search on those wheels Ciaran, they are 36spoke and have a convertible hub. I have not had good luck with those things, at least not the dimension one I have now anyway...
Any other ideas?
The hubs on the outlaws are great. I have run them as QR, 20mm front, and 12mm thru in the rear (but using a 12mm axle with a 10mm stepdown ) No issues. And easy to change.

But anyhoo... check out Universal. Hopefully you can find a good price on good wheels. Good luck, man!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
LOOnatic said:
Hey Burl the XT rear hub ain't bad b\c you can take cone wrenches and remove the threaded axle(hollow inside for skewer) and replace with same thread pitch SOLID bolt on axle(think threaded rod with bolts).
As a fellow bullit owner thats is the poorman hadley :agree:
I actually have a solid axle on an old wheel in the garage that I could use. Are the rhyno lites relatively strong/light? I know I cant get away with regular XC wheels for what I ride, but dont need a full DH set either...whatchu think?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The XT hub is kinda heavy. Solid, dependable, good price, but still, kinda heavy. If they are not already built, find out how much extra for a hope or hadley. Just my two pennies...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The air corps are heavy, not trail pinp heavy but heavy. Look at the Bombshell fatdaddy wheels they are decently light for a pre build 20mm front wheelset. They also have sealed cart. bearings, a big improvement over the XT's. The rims are lighter and stronger than the ryno lights. I have the same rims build on hadleys for my Foes, and have zero complaints. They usualy go for $279 or less from Adrenaline bikes.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm running the hubs you mentioned on my DH bike and the rims on my DJ bike and both are still going strong. I've had good luck with both the rims and the hubs combined at one point too. I say get the XT/Marz. on Rhyno Lite XLs.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Mavic XM321 rims (32hole) laced to DT Onyx hubs which have a 20mm option. The XM321 rims have been replaced with another rim (not sure which one) and are on closeout everywhere. DT hubs are decent enough. Mavic rims are a lot better then Sunn rims IMO. I can build you them for about $400 (maybe less maybe more, sorry I can't be more specific here). I am pretty sure you can prolly get them cheaper online. But thats what I would do.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I really have an issue with the whole convertible hub deal. The dimension 20mm hub on my wheel is a POS. There is a constant wobble that will not go away no matter how tight I make the maxle. Is this an issue with all convertible hubs?

J

JRB

I have some performance Loco wheels and they are the same wheels as the Outlaws. They are convertible, but they are tight. They are fairly heavy, as in around 2200 2300 grams, but that was kind of what I wanted. I'm pretty sure mine are 32 holes rims though. They work great tubeless with maxxis strips. Plus - they have my name.

OK - the name thing is a little cheesy, but I like the wheels. Couple of guys on here run, or have run them.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
I have for sale a set of Sun Singletracks laced to Hope Bulb hubs, front and rear, 32h, front is indeed 20mm, wheelsmith butted spokes.
Send me a pm if you're interested

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Hey does Cane Creek make any strong wheels?

Oh, just a tidbit:

The XM321's are rad, they are great for ghetto tubeless, but they aren't quite as beefy as the 721's (downhill rim, old # 521) and weigh only 20 grmas less... I just got a 721 to replace my flat, bent, and scratched XM321.

XM321:570g
721: 590g

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
My "XC" wheels are a set of Rhyno lite XL with XT hubs. I had them built by Mike Garcia at Oddsandendos.com. (You can get them cheaper elsewhere, but they are generally machine built, I think.) I haven't had to touch them in the couple years that I've been riding them. I think they are a decent comprimise between weight and beefiness. I'm not a lightweight guy by any means (250# +) and they've been good to me.

My biggest gripe with them is that getting tires on and off them is a huge pain in the butt. I broke quite a few plastic tire levers before I finally picked up some steel ones.

Down the line when I replace them I've been thinking I might try some Hadley hubs and DT Swiss 5.1 rims or something like that.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Im pretty sure Im going to have go-ride just build me a set of rhyno lites up. Seems the most simple, sure option. Front hubs dont matter to me and XT is proven, so I dont think I can go wrong there. I was just hoping someone would have a smoking deal, or give me other insight on why my choice would be a bad one.

J

JRB

I would look into a little nicer hub than XT. I had some issues with my last XT hub coming loose all the time. I adjusted it until I was blue in the face. I never have had issues with one coming loose, but I had hell with that one.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
I would look into a little nicer hub than XT. I had some issues with my last XT hub coming loose all the time. I adjusted it until I was blue in the face. I never have had issues with one coming loose, but I had hell with that one.
Ive had a couple of XTs and have had the same problem with them coming loose a few times. I dont really want to spend an arm and a leg (hadley, King) but if there is something better and comparable in price, Im open to suggestions...

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
Ive had a couple of XTs and have had the same problem with them coming loose a few times. I dont really want to spend an arm and a leg (hadley, King) but if there is something better and comparable in price, Im open to suggestions...
I would look at the cheaper Bill LTC before I would get XT again. I would also consider a Hope Bulb. They are about $100 more, but they are way nicer.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
BurlyShirley said:
Im pretty sure Im going to have go-ride just build me a set of rhyno lites up. Seems the most simple, sure option. Front hubs dont matter to me and XT is proven, so I dont think I can go wrong there. I was just hoping someone would have a smoking deal, or give me other insight on why my choice would be a bad one.
I ran rhyno lites for 2 years straight on my trail bike, and I never even had to touch the wheel.
Now, when I ran them on my DH rig, I could destroy them in a few months. But they are great for general abuse, and cheap if you need to replace one.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
I have an XT rear hib (laced to an XM321) that is constantly coming loose. I would say that if you are going to get a new wheelset lay out the extra cash and get a Hope. Get the Hadley if you can but for price/value I think the Hopes are a good deal.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Singletracks Hoops, DT champ spokes and hub of your choice!!!
I have had more than a few Mail order wheels come to me to be retentioned after two or three rides, your better off ordering the Hoops and hubs, then going to someone who is really good at building if your really looking for quality. Remember, no matter how nice a qwheel is, its only as strong as the build!!

BurlyShirley said:

Are you Running rim based brakes??? If not then Rhynolites are not worth it, you would be better off with the single track, thats what i run and i am a 250lb rider and i pretty much abuse the Hell out of my wheels!!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Another vote for the Azonic Outlaws - I saw a new set on Ebay for $200. I have them on my hardtail and they take some serious abuse... but they are a bit heavy. I've never had a problem with the conversion either.

Another place to get some sweet deal is - http://shop.greatdealsonbikes.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GDOB&Product_Code=DBW09

I've never used him, since the last time I needed a wheelset I went with the outlaws (wanted rear conversion option), but if I were going to get a new wheelset I would check them out.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I have had rhyno lites on older XTR hubs.. they have been ok... until I tacoed one..
On my intense 6.6 I have the ex729's onto hope hubs.
pretty strong, pretty light and i think worth every penny

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
DirtyMike said:
Singletracks Hoops, DT champ spokes and hub of your choice!!!
I have had more than a few Mail order wheels come to me to be retentioned after two or three rides, your better off ordering the Hoops and hubs, then going to someone who is really good at building if your really looking for quality. Remember, no matter how nice a qwheel is, its only as strong as the build!!
Are you Running rim based brakes??? If not then Rhynolites are not worth it, you would be better off with the single track, thats what i run and i am a 250lb rider and i pretty much abuse the Hell out of my wheels!!
But singletracks are very heavy from what Ive heard. Again, Im not 250 lbs and I dont need DH wheels.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
BurlyShirley said:
But singletracks are very heavy from what Ive heard. Again, Im not 250 lbs and I dont need DH wheels.
The singletrack is not a DH rim. It is more of a slalom/trail and will not take true DH use unless you are smooth. I have a set on my hardtail, laced to XT hubs, and they are garbage. The hub always comes loose, and the rear wheel has dings and flat spots galore. This is after maybe a dozen rides, and I only weigh 160 pounds. Shy away from those.

J

JRB

I would honestly look at something like the 321s or whatever they are now. I hear the DT rims are super soft. I don't think Singletracks are horribly heavy though. I would run mavic 3.1s or whatever they are now, if I weren't going to hit drops. Since you will, I wouldn't, but that's an option. I don't think singletracks are much heavier than rhyno lites.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You need to talk to Universal Cycles. They build the nicest wheels anywhere. There are 2-3 guys in the shop building wheels all day and they stand behind what they build. If you find a set for cheaper, they will also price match.

They are located in Portland, so I know how good a wheelset from them can be. There site lets you configure your wheelset and they list the specs for you.

J

JRB

jimmydean said:
You need to talk to Universal Cycles. They build the nicest wheels anywhere. There are 2-3 guys in the shop building wheels all day and they stand behind what they build. If you find a set for cheaper, they will also price match.

They are located in Portland, so I know how good a wheelset from them can be. There site lets you configure your wheelset and they list the specs for you.
I'm glad to see someone agree. Mike has always been very helpful for me. I am torn as to whether they are better than Go-Ride, but I have used them for several years. Not one single problem.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
jimmydean said:

:stupid:

Nice people, too.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
They are a great shop and I would use them more if they were closer. I have heard they ship fast too, but I just order either online or on the phone and pick it up.

I would say 75% of the business is wheel building, seriously. You can't beat the price and the wheels are top notch.