Quantcast

I need a new wheelset...

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I just got off the phone with Mike at www.oddsandendos.com. I finally placed an order for a set of WTB Lazer Disc Lite hubs laced to Velocity VXC rims. Went with the DT Supercomp spokes with alloy nipples, except for the rear drive side, which will be brass. I also ordered a set of his steel skewers which, incidentally, are lighter than XTR skewers.

Burly - When you come out to CO in May, if you want a backup wheelset for cheap (read: free), I've got a set of slightly used Rhyno Lites laced to Deore hubs that you can have. I rode them for 1/2 season, so they don't have many miles on them. They may need to be trued and cleaned/regreased, but they're in decent shape. My current wheels will become my backup set, so there's no need for me to keep the Rhyno Lite's around any more.

Edit: Whoops. Forgot about the 20mm axle requirement. Mine are not 20mm axle hubs.

J

JRB

They do a great job, like folks have said. If you see a price that seems high, ask Mike. He has actually offered a lower price than was listed just because he knew someone was cheaper. Two times actually.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Polandspring88 said:
The singletrack is not a DH rim. It is more of a slalom/trail and will not take true DH use unless you are smooth. I have a set on my hardtail, laced to XT hubs, and they are garbage. The hub always comes loose, and the rear wheel has dings and flat spots galore. This is after maybe a dozen rides, and I only weigh 160 pounds. Shy away from those.

Yeah i am not super fond of my XT rear hub, but hey it was free, if i were to pay i would probably go with a Hope bulbe. But as far as the singletracks being crap, thats were a good builder comes in. Was my suggestion because he was asking about a weight/Strength combo, also because he mentioned he was looking at rhyno lites. If you need something stronger than the single tracks, get the double tracks, but your gonna gain some weight there

J

JRB

You getting the bulbs or the XCs I linked??? The only difference in the XC and the Bulb rear is a Ti freehub body. I don't know how good that 20mm hub is, if they aren't the Bulbs. Just sayin'.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
You getting the bulbs or the XCs I linked??? The only difference in the XC and the Bulb rear is a Ti freehub body. I don't know how good that 20mm hub is, if they aren't the Bulbs. Just sayin'.
Im just going to have them build it on the Hope 20mm hub and the XC rear instead.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
BurlyShirley said:
I think im going to go with 321's on hope hubs.
Good choice. My boss said he would be willing to build them for you and match most any price you can get within reason. PM me for info.....

J

JRB

jdcamb said:
Good choice. My boss said he would be willing to build them for you and match most any price you can get within reason. PM me for info.....
Spammer ;)

Good call on the Bulb front hub, BS. If you want to upgrade the rear later, I think the Ti body is like $80. Brian may even be able to hook that up a little better.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Thats a good combo there too, Oh yeah the Hope Bulb front convertable hub is Very stable, you will like that one,

Question for ya though on your current dimension hub, did you convert it from QR to 20M or vice versa, i have one that started out at 20mm and never had troubles with it. Might just be tehre Wonderfull quality control at work!!!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
jdcamb said:
I dunno man.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...7&category=250

Im just going to ask them to substitute the standard hope hub for that generic velocity one. I cant imagine its going to run more than $350-375 plus shipping. It'd be hard for a regular shop to beat that I think...

J

JRB

I kind of think I may have a dimension hub on the performance wheels, and on a singletrack too. I have the conversion kit for the Loco, and used it first, but now run 20mm. I haven't had any trouble though. It has that axle that has two threaded ends that you tighten with 2 5mm wrenches.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
DirtyMike said:
Thats a good combo there too, Oh yeah the Hope Bulb front convertable hub is Very stable, you will like that one,

Question for ya though on your current dimension hub, did you convert it from QR to 20M or vice versa, i have one that started out at 20mm and never had troubles with it. Might just be tehre Wonderfull quality control at work!!!
Mine came set up for QR, but I just pulled out the two little pieces and put in the two bigger pieces. It never felt right from the day I bought it. I thought my headset was loose because I had this constant wobble...the little adapters just never quite get solid.. I dunno.

J

JRB

Cool - I just noticed on Jenson's site, you can buy a face plate to run that gigantic Hope light on a Thomson stem. You may want to rethink the RF stem and look into it, since your fender mount failed miserably.

*this of course is a joke. How is the light holding up???

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
Cool - I just noticed on Jenson's site, you can buy a face plate to run that gigantic Hope light on a Thomson stem. You may want to rethink the RF stem and look into it, since your fender mount failed miserably.

*this of course is a joke. How is the light holding up???
Ive only gone on one night ride really, and it worked fine. Should hold up well for as often as i ride at night.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
loco said:
They do a great job, like folks have said. If you see a price that seems high, ask Mike. He has actually offered a lower price than was listed just because he knew someone was cheaper. Two times actually.
I just went through Universal's online custom wheel kit builder, and for the exact setup that I'm getting from Oddsandendos, Universal's price was over $100 more. I know they price match, but at the bottom of the page it said "Because of our already reduced Wheel Kit Prices, Coupons or Price Matches will not apply to Wheel Kits".

Burly - I don't know if Oddsandendos builds anything other than XC wheels, but it might be worth your while to give them a call.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
pixelninja said:
Burly - I don't know if Oddsandendos builds anything other than XC wheels, but it might be worth your while to give them a call.
I'll check into that pix. Im all about stretching a buck.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
BurlyShirley said:
I'll check into that pix. Im all about stretching a buck.
Burly, Oddsandendos.com built my Rhino/XT wheels. Universal's price on those wheels was maybe $50 less if you pick them out of the prebuilt wheels section. (Are all these wheels hand built, or just the custom ones?) Going through the custom builder, Universal was about $50 more than oddsandendos.

Like I said, I've been riding those things for several years now. I'm 250+ pounds and not particularly smooth. I have yet to need to even true them. I'm sure he'll build you anything you want. He stands behind his work, too. My wife started breaking spokes on her wheelset that he had built. He admitted that he had gotten a bad batch of nipples. Shipped the wheels from WA to FL, replaced everything on his dime. Plus he has his kids draw pictures on the boxes before he ships them out. :thumb:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Atomic Dog said:
Burly, Oddsandendos.com built my Rhino/XT wheels. Universal's price on those wheels was maybe $50 less if you pick them out of the prebuilt wheels section. (Are all these wheels hand built, or just the custom ones?) Going through the custom builder, Universal was about $50 more than oddsandendos.

Like I said, I've been riding those things for several years now. I'm 250+ pounds and not particularly smooth. I have yet to need to even true them. I'm sure he'll build you anything you want. He stands behind his work, too. My wife started breaking spokes on her wheelset that he had built. He admitted that he had gotten a bad batch of nipples. Shipped the wheels from WA to FL, replaced everything on his dime. Plus he has his kids draw pictures on the boxes before he ships them out. :thumb:
Ah man, that guys website is an eyesore.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
J

JRB

jimmydean said:
But can you get the front in 20mm? It didn't look like it from the link.
It's got the conversion and a 20mm axle. They are what I am riding. Pretty cheap for solid wheels.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
jdcamb said:
Congrats. The monkey rocks sometimes....
Yeah. Im pretty happy. I checked the weights of the 721s and they are the same as Rhyno Lites, and I did some research on the spec hubs, and they are light and supposedly last well, so Im excited. My wheels suck.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
Sounds like a perfect deal to me.
I agree. Pretty cheap and pretty good. Bike is shaping up. Too bad the local shop sucks. I didnt even have them face my BB.

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
I agree. Pretty cheap and pretty good. Bike is shaping up. Too bad the local shop sucks. I didnt even have them face my BB.
Are you going to, or just try some Race Face cups???

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
Are you going to, or just try some Race Face cups???
Yeah, Im just gunna have the roadie shop do it, buy some bearings online and be done with it.

Hey, do the new bearings come with spacers? The spacers that came with my crankset are plastic. I highly doubt they'll break, but I wouldnt mind having some metal ones.

Want to trade forks yet?

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
Yeah, Im just gunna have the roadie shop do it, buy some bearings online and be done with it.

Hey, do the new bearings come with spacers? The spacers that came with my crankset are plastic. I highly doubt they'll break, but I wouldnt mind having some metal ones.

Want to trade forks yet?
I'd trade the Z150 SL, but not the Z1 light. I'm diggin it. The RF comes with plastic spacers, but I think they are fine. I will see if I have any metal ones, but they are 2.5mm each, if you find them at the shop.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
I'd trade the Z150 SL, but not the Z1 light. I'm diggin it. The RF comes with plastic spacers, but I think they are fine. I will see if I have any metal ones, but they are 2.5mm each, if you find them at the shop.
Ill do a trade with you. Is the 8 inch steerer enough?