Quantcast

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Anyone have a left over drive side Shimano XT crank arm 175mm used that would want to part with it cheaply? I have a buddy, just fixed his bike up. He's a nube. Didn't know the pedals went on with specific left and right thread clock and counter clock. And I forgot to tell him. So when he went to put on his pedal he bought, he apparently cranked down on them hard, no pun intended :D and stripped out one side bad. Now I need a new crank arm on the drive side, four bar to swap it out. Could care less about cosmetic, I will paint it flat black. Just got the bike Demo from texas and it's really nice.

Anyone have one PM me. I have a bunch of parts too just sitting around... maybe you might need something I have as well. Thanks.

BigHit R.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
You don't need a new crank arm, you need a helicoil.
timesert>helicoil
Well, I thought of that first, but I didn't think that would be a permanent fix and would stand the abuse of the torque on it. You guys think it would really hold under the pressure load of hard up hill cranking on it?

I thought I could take it to a place that welds aluminum and have it filled, drilled and rethreaded. Not sure if that is a good idea either. Is the threaded part on the XT crankset a steel insert? It sure looks like it. Anyone know. Could it be filled with weld and redrilled? Probably as expensive as getting a new crank I would think though.

Last edited:

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
yes. helicoils when used properly make much stronger threads than a normal tapped hole. they are also relatively cheap but may be difficult to find in a L and R pedal thread. I dont remember what size thread that is.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
The threads are 9/16". Helicoils are pricey to get set up the first time. Try a machine shop for a single use. Right hand will be easier to come by, btw.
Loco, what do you mean by Heliocoils are pricey to get set up the first time? Do I have to drill it out smooth? I have a machine shop stand up Drill press like this...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
hela coil schmeela coil. Tap that bitch. Put some new threads on that forged Aluminum. If it fails after that buy some new cranks...

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Pedal threads are a nonstandard pitch as well. You're only going to find helicoil equipment at a bike shop. I've used it. Works great, but hard to find. If you pay a shop to do it a new crank might be cheaper.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Well, I have another crankset used I can give my buddy to use while I search for a new crank arm if I can't fix it with a heliocoil and if the shop is as much cost for a new arm. AND ENOUGH with the stupid Sheen tags people I get it. Haa haa. Geesh, some people beat a dead horse.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Just today I fixed the buggered threads of a cheapo Suntour crank arm with a 9/16 pedal tap. Cost = $7. Now that the bike works, I sold a trainer, a tire, and some ergon grips.... If I do it 4 more times. I pay for the tool. 12 more times pays for my DSL. Unless someone other then me does the work.... The caviat for sure...

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
JD, apparently it's metric thread. Not 9/16ths. It's also a fine thread, not a coarse. I went to the hardware store today and the guy had some tool that tells what size threads. It's a 9/16 size post but he said it was metric, either a 14 or 15mm with a .125 or 1.25 thread. I guess that's the pitch? I don't remember. I'm calling the LBS tomorrow to see if they have a heli coil to fix it and how much.

Anyway, while looking on Ebay for a heli coil or a crank arm I did find this that I found particularly funny.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dura-Ace-7600-170mm-Cranks-PRISTINE-/280645804400?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4157cb2170#ht_500wt_947

Obviously a funny way to sell your parts...

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I always wanted a bike with that era of Dura Ace. It was the **** back in the day... Hipsters are driving the market is all I can say....