Quantcast

I need a small titanium spring...NBR

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I know RM is good for something.

I need a source for a small titanium pull spring, like the spring circled in this pic:

Anyone? Some place online would be nice.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Fairway Spring used to make our ti springs for Time ATAC pedal upgrade kits you could give them a try. Not sure how successful you'll be but their number is 607-739-3541

edit - failing that, I think we might have some ti spring wire around somewhere you could use to make your own but it's pretty heavy gauge stuff.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
And what exactly is wrong with guitar center? Just curious
I've been shopping at GC for 25 years, it's sort of an unavoidable chore for any musician, being that they are ubiquitous.

Everyone there is a fvcking idiot. Every time I'm there, the sales person milks ME for product info, not the other way around. Their pricing is inconsistent. They have a very narrow, trend driven selection of products. The place is a cacophony of untalented little fvcktards wanking on instruments they can't afford.

And...they don't sell titanium bass drum pedal springs, which is why my reply to your post was the little shaking head disgusted smiley.

:D

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
I've been shopping at GC for 25 years, it's sort of an unavoidable chore for any musician, being that they are ubiquitous.

Everyone there is a fvcking idiot. Every time I'm there, the sales person milks ME for product info, not the other way around. Their pricing is inconsistent. They have a very narrow, trend driven selection of products. The place is a cacophony of untalented little fvcktards wanking on instruments they can't afford.

And...they don't sell titanium bass drum pedal springs, which is why my reply to your post was the little shaking head disgusted smiley.

ok, I didnt know they didnt carry titanium springs. My bad. I know what your saying. I just like them because they do have some pretty big stores around me with a bunch of stuff. And I know enough to where when the sales people come up to me I ignore them. So I dont mind guitar center. But, SD is pretty big in the music scene so the sales people actually know some of the stuff. Frys electronics on the other hand... :shocked:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
for future searches, check out www.leespring.com. I found that place over the summer and is where my company outsources most of our springs now.
Thanks, no ti springs.

I've searched and searched, no one seems to make em stock. I'd have to spec it myself and drop mad cash to meet minimums. :twitch:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ti is not by nature indestructible. It has a higher strength to weight ratio than steel, but that per se does not make it more durable.
I thought ti had a very high number of fatigue cycles before breaking, making it an excellent spring material. That's why it can be used in pivot-less soft tail frames, etc.

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
I thought ti had a very high number of fatigue cycles before breaking, making it an excellent spring material. That's why it can be used in pivot-less soft tail frames, etc.
I think your right here. thats why all of the motocross suspension companies started using it in their high end stuff. My yamaha has ti kayaba fork springs as well as a ti shock spring.

From Renton's site, hyping Ti springs:

"Remember that steel springs for performance applications are designed "at the limit" to keep weight and size down. With titanium, replacements can be designed where the stresses are "backed-off" just slightly so that typically we can design for twice the life of the steel spring we are replacing. Experience is required of the spring designer to know what levels of stress can be sustained for each type of material used in springs."

Roughly translated:

"If you're ready to spend a pisspot of money to reduce weight, we can play with design margins enough to give you a durability advantage at the expense of some weight."

For your application, nobody's going to do the work to achieve this design tradeoff and if they did, it'd be prohibitively expensive. You're better off with the replacements that the manufacturer offered.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
You're better off with the replacements that the manufacturer offered.
They had me at "we will send you free springs".

I was hoping (distantly) that there would be a common ti equivalent readily available online. For like...$0.50. Dammit.