Quantcast

I need a stem

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
It needs to be short, hold 31.8 bars and HOLD MY FORK. I got some thing from Jenson awhile back that was inexpensive but it doesn't stay tight.

under 50 bucks would be nice too.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
headstocks seem excessively heavy. Look into truvativ stems. Relatively cheap and bombproof. Havent heard/experienced any slipping problems myself

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Are you greasing your steer? If so, I would try without and see if that helps. Sound silly, but try taking a piece of heavy-grit sandpaper and scuff up the steer/inside of the stem. It has helped for me.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
fairly casual riding. I'm thinking maybe my starnut is slipping. but I didn't have that problem with the stock stem so....? maybe not.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
The star-nut only controls the preload of the headset. That has nothing to do with your stem slipping. You could pre-load the headset, tighten the stem, and remove the top-cap/bolt and have no problems (supposing your stem works as its intended.) Welp, I'm out of ideas, to be honest. Maybe someone else can chime in.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
That stem should provide decent holding power. Check your headset, perhaps one of the bearing cups is cracked or something.
Clean the stem and top of the steerer really well, maybe even with some denatured alcohol or something like that.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Even with a cracked bearing-cup... His stem should not spin on the steer under normal riding conditions. now hard crashes or laying the bike over, etc its acceptable...

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Well, since he didn't say whether the problem was his bars turning, or his headseat loosening, we are both just guessing now, aren't we? :D
I seriously doubt it's the former though, unless you are crashing, the stem has to be pretty loose to mis-align the bars.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
headset comes loose, stem doesn't twist on the stem. it's weird, but I will try to crank the fvck out of the bolts and see what happens. it's a new bike, all I did was swap the stem. a task I am more then capable of doing....

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Correct amount of spacers,yes. Threads not stripped...

It's probably just my short allen wrenches and school girl like arm muscles..:D