Quantcast

I need a vacation!

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
Its been recommended that I go on a vacation for a week. Work has been rough the past couple months and I need to get out of the hermit life of New England. The problem is most of the country seems to be butt cold and I want to use this trip as an excuse to buy and flog a new bike (I've been wanting a Heckler for a couple years now). International destinations ok but I don't want to spend $2k on a flight.

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
Just as I posted this, I noticed the banner ad: US Airways discount flights to Europe. Madrid and Munich are both $400 from Boston. I have family in Spain. Paris is cheap too. This is a great coincidence. Banner ads are great.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Lucky ba$tard, however, I can only assume you worked pretty hard for it. Man, Spain would probably be sooo sweet, as would the south of France. Have you considered Australia and/or New Zealand? As you know, it's summer down there, and there's an established network of English-speaking (sort of) mountain bikers for you to try to network with before you leave. I bet you could go on some absolutely amazing rides in New Zealand. Maybe enquire on www.farkin.net, an Aussie mtb board (I think that's right).

Edit: do ya wanna go somewhere remote or reasonably populated? I recall someone on here posting pics of downhilling on some mountainous Spanish island that looked amazing. Was it Narlus, perhaps? There's tons of riding in South America, too, but not so many mtber's.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Head to the southwest. Find a shop with the Heckler you want and buy and ride it out there. When done with the fun and sun fly home with your new bike.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Westy said:
Head to the southwest. Find a shop with the Heckler you want and buy and ride it out there. When done with the fun and sun fly home with your new bike.
yup yup. Even the 50* temps that are cold for the southwest will be balmy compared to what us northeasterns are used to.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
What are trail conditions in the Brevard area, Pisgah and Dupont? Winter in NC will be a welcome change to winter in New England. Don't forget Tsali. plenty of trails to keep you busy for a week in WNC.