Quantcast

I need advice on a new frame....

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
So I am getting ready to throw my Azonic off my roof. I am planning on building up a new jump/urban bike. Just like every other bike nerd I am having the nurotic conversation in my head. Sitting around the shop is not helping, too much free time this time of year.

Right now I am thinking about
1) Brooklyn Park Bike
2) Evil DOC
3) .243 SL
4) Cove Sanchez

Leaning towards 3,or 4

Help me make up my mind, please. The BMW is probably my last choice right now since I want to be able to run a 26 rear.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
other than 26" wheels, how do you want to set it up for Slalom? For Park/DJ/Street? or for Freeride?

My personal choice out of what you have listed would probably be the Park bike, because I like 24"s, I ride mostly dj and park, so I could build a a bike that really suites those styles of riding with that frame. If I wanted a 26" bike I'd probably lean towards the .243, because again, I like cromo. I've ridden one before, and they feel really comfortable. With a rigid/short travel fork, it's a great street/park bike, or if you wanted, you could run a 5" fork, and have one bike to do everything Freeride/street/dj/park.

So it really depends on what you want to do.

Jan 29, 2005
From the info listed here I would recomend the Evil DOC.

If you were looking to run 24s i would actually recomend the Tonic Fab Fall Guy.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
dropsdon'tlikem said:
From the info listed here I would recomend the Evil DOC.

If you were looking to run 24s i would actually recomend the Tonic Fab Fall Guy.

Thats what I have and I love it.

I would highly reccommend adding it to the list.

Also add the Nemisis Project Death Mobile (26") or the Nemisis Project Street Fighter.

The two Nemisis, and the Tonic are the 3 best dj/street/park bikes on the market right now IMO.

Jan 29, 2005
scurban said:

Also add the Nemisis Project Death Mobile (26") or the Nemisis Project Street Fighter.

The two Nemisis, and the Tonic are the 3 best dj/street/park bikes on the market right now IMO.
amen! the new fall guy with the mid-bb and integrated headset:thumb:

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
I think I am leaning towards the .243 SL now. Only thing I dont like about it is the lack of ISCG tabs. Basically I am looking for a bike more for urban then anything else. Decent travel fork (thinking Pike 426 coil). Having a really hard time finding a cro-mo frame that has horizontal drop-outs, sub 16in chain stays, 26rear and ISCG tabs. So far everything has been all except one of them. I just need to figure out what feature is the one to compromise. Basically I need a bike that fits right in between my SGS and my Genral Lee 24.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
EricMcFlow said:
I think I am leaning towards the .243 SL now. Only thing I dont like about it is the lack of ISCG tabs. Basically I am looking for a bike more for urban then anything else. Decent travel fork (thinking Pike 426 coil). Having a really hard time finding a cro-mo frame that has horizontal drop-outs, sub 16in chain stays, 26rear and ISCG tabs. So far everything has been all except one of them. I just need to figure out what feature is the one to compromise. Basically I need a bike that fits right in between my SGS and my Genral Lee 24.
Dude..... The DOC is probably the right choice then. Sliding vertical dropouts are great, and correct me if I'm wrong the DOC has a ISCG right?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
yo Eric ... it's Nick.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I really like the DOC but I'm not so sure about the adjustable dropouts.
I know a few riders on .243 frames and those are very nice. Are you stuck on a steel frame for sure? Why not run a BB mounted guide and eliminate that from your list?

I just got back from a good street ride to/from the south lakeshore.

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
Nick, I am stuck on steel. Adamo just got a new E13 thats BB mount on his .243. If it works out for him I am going to get the SL and go that route. I was never happy with my BB mount truvative. My other new idea is the Atomlab TrailPimp. Uggg.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Nick said:
yo Eric ... it's Nick.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I really like the DOC but I'm not so sure about the adjustable dropouts.

Man i run both a DOC and a Soviergn I understand you reservations about adjustable dropouts, but let me tell you, these things are pure art and beefy as hell. I would totally go with the DOC or Soviergn as a street rig, it on higher level than the other frames you guys are talking about...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Man i run both a DOC and a Soviergn I understand you reservations about adjustable dropouts, but let me tell you, these things are pure art and beefy as hell. I would totally go with the DOC or Soviergn as a street rig, it on higher level than the other frames you guys are talking about...
Thanks for that. My concern is slippage, even though I've seen people throw down on their DOCs without incident. The thing is that once I get set up I doubt I would ever adjust them again.

Let me ask you, do you adjust your wheelbase often, or ever, since you've owned the two Evil frames?

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
i would look into the new Dobermann fab bikes, the owners are old balfa and 24 guys, and their product is simply amazing, they have 3 frames ranging from 500, 750, and 1000 canadian.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
aznfreerdr08 said:
im holding out for do ber mann's website to come out so i can look into getting one. those things are sick

I think you should get the nemisis project street fighter.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
scurban said:

The DeathMobile comes with an externally machined Internal headset and Spanish B/B !
( Spanish is lighter than MID too ! )

We also make another 26" bike the SecretAgent !
It'a a 26" bikes designed around DJ/ MTX and Street/park
Same basic angles as a StreetFighter but shorter seattube and the frame accepts duel 26"s frame weight is 5.5 lbs here's the rundown on the bike's GEO:
SecretAgent
RETAIL $ 750-$800 depending on paint
Designed around 26's for DJ , Urban , Street , MTX specific hardtail
(24" wheel compatible W/disk )
Hand-built from 100% True-Temper OX platinum front triangle and chain-stays .
Straight gauge heat-treated True-Temper seat-stays !
Frame weight is 5.7 lbs
GEO:
72 head angle with 80-mm marzocchi fork ( 455-mm axle to crown )
70 seat
22.0 TT
15.50-16.25 rear end
12.25 B/B height
14.0 seat-tube center to top
press-fit 1 1/8 head-tube
Euro B/B

Follow like below to pic of the new frame !
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=1439704#poststop

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
aznfreerdr08 said:
im holding out for do ber mann's website to come out so i can look into getting one. those things are sick
they most definatly are the nicest bikes ive ever seen, and thats y i currenty have one on order, what more could u ask for? flawless geometry, great materials, and a welder that used to weld for BALFA! you know the bike is going to last a long long time.

Thacker

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
I have a Supercross MX26 and it is an awesome park bike, I ride a lot of trails with it too...4130 double butted chromoly with post weld heat treat so it's really strong...www.supercrossbmx.com.....

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
Well folks, just to end this one. I am going to order a .243 SL in a couple weeks. My other requirement was that I be able to order it at Cost/EP so thats part of the reason its going to win.

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
Evil4bc said:
The DeathMobile comes with an externally machined Internal headset and Spanish B/B !
( Spanish is lighter than MID too ! )

We also make another 26" bike the SecretAgent !
It'a a 26" bikes designed around DJ/ MTX and Street/park
Same basic angles as a StreetFighter but shorter seattube and the frame accepts duel 26"s frame weight is 5.5 lbs here's the rundown on the bike's GEO:
SecretAgent
RETAIL $ 750-$800 depending on paint
Designed around 26's for DJ , Urban , Street , MTX specific hardtail
(24" wheel compatible W/disk )
Hand-built from 100% True-Temper OX platinum front triangle and chain-stays .
Straight gauge heat-treated True-Temper seat-stays !
Frame weight is 5.7 lbs
GEO:
72 head angle with 80-mm marzocchi fork ( 455-mm axle to crown )
70 seat
22.0 TT
15.50-16.25 rear end
12.25 B/B height
14.0 seat-tube center to top
press-fit 1 1/8 head-tube
Euro B/B

Follow like below to pic of the new frame !
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=1439704#poststop

are you sure marz fork are 455 at 80mm? i know the 30mm stanction are. but mostly 32mm stanction need 65mm travel to be at 455mm from axle to crown

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Nick said:
Thanks for that. My concern is slippage, even though I've seen people throw down on their DOCs without incident. The thing is that once I get set up I doubt I would ever adjust them again.

Let me ask you, do you adjust your wheelbase often, or ever, since you've owned the two Evil frames?
I still actually OWN both, and no i never adjust either wheelbase, no need...I have the DOC tucked way up in because it is my street bike and the soveirgn is extended all the way out (in xc config)...I think it is best to get used to one thing then stick with it.