Quantcast

I need an Ex Cee Bike

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I've got the cross check, not so great on the techy trails. got the Big Bike, not so great on going up. Got the Flow, want to go to SS on that, and also sucks on climbs. I want to get in shape and ride more. Any suggestions for a CHEAP trail bike?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Trail bike as in dual suspension all mtn trail bike? or what? if your looking for dual suspension but cheap only thing that comes to mine is like those jamis dakars.

-mobius (forgot to sign off castles name)

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
are we talking XC bike or a Trail Bike?

80-100mm forks; real light, seat always up, offroadie climbing machine?

or are we talking little bit burlier frame 130mm fork able to be j umped and dropped and generally beat up on from time to time?

Sep 29, 2004
one of the guys at the bike lane i work with is gonna try to pick up an oldish frame wih horizontal dropouts and track spacing so i can run a fixie mountain bike this summer, i might just go regular singlespeed though.... id set it up rigid, 3.0 inch tires, and those level hubs..... just my 2 cents

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Castle said:
are we talking XC bike or a Trail Bike?

80-100mm forks; real light, seat always up, offroadie climbing machine?

or are we talking little bit burlier frame 130mm fork able to be j umped and dropped and generally beat up on from time to time?
I guess I'd have to lean more toward an XC Bike. I mean, I dont need a superlight take a 1' drop and i'll break in half bike, but I already have the RM flow, which is the jump/street/trail if needed bike.

I need somthing I can go out and spin on for awhile. not incredibly heavy, a good endurance bike. I'm soooooo out of shape, and riding the Surly is fun, but I would like to be able to ride more technical trails without worry.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
I've got an old Giant Yukon that I'm trying to get rid of. It's got 100 mm of travel, and it's good for getting you in shape. Let me know. I believe it fits your criteria of cheap. I've tried to sell it before for like 150-200, but no takers yet. I'd even bring it to Richmond for ya. I've got family up there.

bonedoc

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
[spam] I've got a 2002 AC Air with only about 20 rides on it, XT drivetrain, Marz Z1SL fork. It may be a little more bike than you are looking for but it does fine going uphill, I'll unload it for say $650.[/spam]

Sep 29, 2004
depending on you're price range the sc blur seems to be exactly what you're looking for. or you could go super gucci and get the new indie fab suspension frame (4000). salsa's are also cheep but i dont know much about them

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
alright, I have a recommendation, you have a RM dealer in your area, and there is a wide variety of sizes, RM Steel Hardtails, the Hammer 725 reynolds or the Blizzard reynolds 853 (probably too much bling).

If you could squeeze into one of those bikes, I know they ride nice!

If not, if you have a kona dealer in the area, look into a Caldera, we sell more of those at our shop than anything else, the kona geometry is really sweet! They also have a huge variety of sizes, to make sure you can find something to fit you.....

Sep 29, 2004
if u want high end go with a santa cruz, gary fishers and treks are also pretty nice for a smaller price tag. but the full carbon fuels are pretty sweet

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Westy said:
[spam] I've got a 2002 AC Air with only about 20 rides on it, XT drivetrain, Marz Z1SL fork. It may be a little more bike than you are looking for but it does fine going uphill, I'll unload it for say $650.[/spam]

:drool: AC AIR :drool:

What size is it?

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
I assume you still work for the big P?

do you want a bike or a frame?

I would suggest the weyless Sp/XP, Kona Dawg or the Giant Trance all could be had for a good price! Pretty nice rigs