Quantcast

I need an urban build.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Ok it's happened. I've decided I have to build an urban ride. I'm relatively fresh to it but the trails here just aren't cutting it for me. I need more danger (and pain!). I want to build primarily for urban/park type riding but also DJing and to help me learn a few trials moves.

I like the Planet X Jack Flash / Fox Vanilla 100R combo on Pricepoint ($549) but have no experience with the frame. Trying to keep costs down, also looking at Azonic Steelhead and Specialized P frames. Then of course there is the D.O.C. But that might raise my budget too much. Attempting to build for $1000. What are some opinions?

Do I want to go singlespeed? 24"? 100mm travel fork or shorter? Front and rear disc or just a rear disc? Need help!

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
steelhead's a good choice for keepin it cheap. singlespeed... yes. 100mm fork...yes. 24s... your choice, i'd lean toward yes. front and rear avid mechs are a good way to go.

i've never been a big fan of the planet x frames... great for straight trialsin, but i've heard bad things about their customer service.

you're in the arlington area, right? that puts you close to plenty of good street riding, arlington skatepark, wakefield skatepark and 495. i think you'd have fun on a street bike.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
I had an 04 jack flash... cracked the downtube after 4 months and they decliend to warranty it. Offered me a crappy crash replacement though. Id pass on em. Also, that year of the jack flash was very trials oriented. Im in love with my 243, i couldnt ask for a better bike.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Care to sell? :)
Is there anywhere to buy a discounted D.O.C.?
How's the geometry on a steelhead? The seattube looks a little long (like for trail riding), but not bad. Any other suggestions for a less than $400 frame?

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Transfer said:
Care to sell? :)
Is there anywhere to buy a discounted D.O.C.?
How's the geometry on a steelhead? The seattube looks a little long (like for trail riding), but not bad. Any other suggestions for a less than $400 frame?
stiff might have a steelhead for sale. he had one built up for trail riding, but i don't think he's going to use it any more. PM him.

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
talk to eric at germantown cycles. He's selling his p2 complete for $500. he's off on mondays, but he'll be there on tuesday. He's hardly riddin it, and when he has, he's been reel mellow on it. Or i'll sell you a brand new STP1 for $750. ('05 model)...not steel, but nice bikes. As for the steelhead, feels great, but I kept mashing in the rear drop outs on grinds and wore a hole in the chainstay in 3 months. At the price though, you could buy a new frame every six months.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
im in favor of goin the .243 route... new or used. The DOC is a sick ride aswell. Im pretty sure that the retail on 243s and DOCs are around 400, and at that price you might aswell go new if you can track one down. I paid right around $400 for my 243 about 2 years ago, and I have no intention of ever replacing it unless it gets stolen or backed over by a car, to me, its been a very very good investment and a quality bike is always a sound investment!!

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Looks like it's going to be a steelhead. Can't complain about the $179 price tag for a new frame. I can't decide which size to go with though. What are the advantages between a 1 inch longer or 1 inch shorter top tube for urban? I'm 5'11".

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
If your under 6' i'd def go with the short. It will be easier to throw around. If you don't like it, you'll need a new frame in six months anyway.