Quantcast

I need another light, advice!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
OK so I want to have 2 lights for this 24 hour race in Tucson.

I already have a handlebar mounted light, so I wanna get a helmet mount. Since I already have a NiteRider, I was thinking I should stick with them for my second light.

But they have like 6 helmet mounted lights on their website, and every one says it's the best thing since sliced bread. Which is the shizzle?

Cost is not an issue, but obviously I don't wanna pay twice as much for something that's just a little bit better either.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
What kind of power are you sporting on the bar light? HID? If so, just get a smaller light weight helmet light - after all its really only backup light. You COULD run another HID on the helmet if cost was not an issue, but I'd be more inclined to save some weight and run something smaller.

Are you scared of the dark?

:monkey:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The bar light is a couple years old... digital pro something or other. Has little LED's on the light for battery level, and a remote thumb switch. The battery pack is coated with gray soft plastic and straps to the frame. It's not HID.

And yes I am very afraid of the dark :D

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
NR's new HID system is the ultimate shizzle my nizzle kibbits. Not only is it HID but it has variable light intensity, new feature, and some LED's, also new features.
If the cyclone is a out of your price range the backup is the storm you just cant go wrong with these lights.

cyclone
The ultimate in bright long lasting HID lights is also available in a helmet mounted system with the same great features as our FlameThrower. Small and light enough to be mounted comfortably on your helmet. Put the battery in your jersey pocket and enjoy 4 to 6 hours of burn time while blasting the trails. Use the bright white LEDs for up to 80 hours.

Ultra bright 12 watt HID bulb

Three HID light output levels giving you the halogen equivalent of 40 to 50 watts for up to 6 hours

Lamp-out protection with LEDs

LEDs have three modes. Flash, Steady and SOS

New NR 3.5 International Fast Charger (in-vehicle Inverter accessory available)

Multi-Position Helmet Mount

Enduro style NiMH flat pack fits into jersey pocket or hydration pack

Ultra bright white LEDs

Battery Voltage Indicator

System weight: 34oz (mount, head lamp and battery)
storm
The same unbelievable power as the blowtorch, but in a helmet-mounted version. When one of these is on the trail everyone notices! The Storm goes where you look letting to you to pick the best line through single track with ease. It is no wonder that 24-hour racers say that this is the best helmet-mounted light available.

40 Watt Equivalent Ultra Bright Metal Halide Bulb

New NR 3.5 International Fast Charger (in-vehicle Inverter accessory available)

Multi-Position Helmet mount

Enduro style flat pack fits into jersey pocket or hydration pack

4.1Ah NiMH battery pack

System weight: 34oz (mount, head lamp and battery)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Moonlight!!! You'll be core!!! :D

Echo says... "cost is no object", I wish I was Subaru salesman in upstate New York about now. You NEED a new Outback for the trip west. ;)

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
Well in that case, get a HID. You NEED that kind of power. Your competition will be like deer frozen in the headlights.
I agree. Not only are they super bright and have long burn times, but if they are anything like my Light and Motion Arc, it will charge as fast as you can burn it down!
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe the arc/hid bulbs are actually more durable than a halogen because they don't have a filament to wear out and break.

And if money is no object, this light is pretty cool! http://www.bikelights.com/Products/arc_li_ion.htm
Weighs half what the nimh lights weigh ;)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Moonlight!!! You'll be core!!! :D

Echo says... "cost is no object", I wish I was Subaru salesman in upstate New York about now. You NEED a new Outback for the trip west. ;)
Hehe, just got one...

Oh and, cost is an object, obviously since I'm not a millionaire (yet). But I didn't want people's recommendations biased because of their idea of what is too much money.