Quantcast

I need computer help!

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I seem to be having problems with my computer. Ok so heres the story. I browse this site often and I recently posted in a thread in the VA section. When I look in the VA section, it says that thread has 2 replies. When I click on it, there are about 12 replies. It has been the same the entire day. Also for MTBR, I get emails about threads I have posted in, but then when I look at my User CP, there is nothing there. Well there is one thread that has been in there for like two days with the same amount of hours since posted and everything. Get what im saying?

Another problem, whenever I turn on my laptop and go to check my Email, my Incoming mail proxy is changed to this 127.0.0.1 or something like that so I can just change it back to my mail.c...etc. and all my mail comes up.

I am beginning to think something is bugging my computer. I have run virus and spyware scans with nothing. Can any of you computer people help me out? Am I confusing you?

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea I read up about the loop back thing but couldnt figure out how to change it.

If this makes any difference, the home page of RM hasnt changed at all today.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
How are you connected to the internet? Computer connected directly to your modem? Router? Gateway computer?

It sounds like your computer thinks you have a web proxy that's caching your files, since you have old cached data that won't refresh itself.

Have you tried visiting the webpages that aren't changing and pressing Control-F5?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Did you install an anti-spam program or upgrade your antivirus and they added antispam. They often change your email proxy to local machine (127.0.0.1) so they can "intercept" spam.

Mike

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Did you install an anti-spam program or upgrade your antivirus and they added antispam. They often change your email proxy to local machine (127.0.0.1) so they can "intercept" spam.

Mike
Maybe thats it.

I resolved the problem of websites not refreshing. I am on a wireless internet deal. It all started happening after I connected to my neighbor's unsecured wireless when mine stopped working one time. Maybe I picked up something then.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I resolved the problem of websites not refreshing. I am on a wireless internet deal. It all started happening after I connected to my neighbor's unsecured wireless when mine stopped working one time.
Very likely that your neighbor either has some kind of caching on his network, or your connection to his network is intermittant so your computer is just spitting back your cached document because it can't get online to download the updates.