Quantcast

I need input on getting an ' 06 66RC or '06 888RC?

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by kail, Sep 17, 2005.

1. kail

kail Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    The bike I've been riding for the last 4 years is a Bullit with an Avalanche rear shock and 01 Monster T up front. It's been an ultra plush set up, but over the last five years my riding style has changed from a huck everything, plow over everything at mach 2 style, to more of a finesse(ish?), flowy, dirt-jumpy style, if that makes any sense. I still go out and huck some pretty big lines, but only when trannies are perfect. Most of my riding these days is on backcountry trails - which is a rarity among most downhillers these days. (That's a rant that I'll get into another time...) I want to get my bike down to the low 40 pound range, so the Monster has got to go. I've been toying with the idea of getting a new 66RC, but I don't want to be disappointed with the stiffness. I've tried one, but only for one run, and that's not really enough to get a good opinion on a fork. I didn't notice any flexiness at the time. I know a new 888RC would be really sweet, but if I could get by with a 66, I would, cause they're a pound lighter. I go down to Hanksville and Virgin, UT, once a year and do some real hucking, so I want a fork that will put up with some occasional stupidity. Thanks for any input!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. kail

kail Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    One more thing, I'm not interested in any other forks. Only the 66RC or the 888RC. I won't go into any further detail about that. I'd go for an Avy fork in a heartbeat if they weren't so much $$$$.

3. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    I'm running an '05 888 w/drop crowns for trail bike stuff. The '06 rc is to be shorter than previous year so it should be great for trail biking. I ran a Z150 for 2 years. Loved it. If you dh more get 888, trail more get 66, but nothing beats a triple for stupid stuff.

4. Sir_Crackien

Sir_Crackien Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    well here is what i'm going to say. first i'm kina in the say situation on the whole stiffness thing. yeah the monster t is probibly the stiffest fork in the planet and that it is super plush but the 888 is really close to the stiffness on the monster t (i doubt that you can tell) and that the 66 flexies a little more that the 888 (but once agian its not going to be a hugh deal). i have come to the conclusion to get the 6 because it will allow you to make those really sharp turns that the 888 will not (i know that is not many though). also look in to the 66 sl (which is what have decided on) because it is a little over 2 lbs lighter than the 888. if my calcuation are right it should be at the 5.8 lbs range wre as the 888 weights 8 lbs. also i use to have the Z150 and it the 66 is stiffer than that (which is has to be) then stiffness will be a none issue. just a little food for thought.

5. haromtnbiker

haromtnbiker Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    So your running around a 2000 or 2001 bullit? Maybe a new frame would be in order?

6. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    From what I know, Marzocchi has never been able to make a good SL. The air chamber seals usuallly get compromised and oil comes in. So you might want to look that up. 888 stock weighs 7.5 lbs. I don't know what '06 will bring, but it will weigh less than your big M.

7. Kntr

Kntr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 20
    The 06 66RC should fit the bill perfectly. You are use to 7" of travel and the weight savings is about 3 lbs from your Monster.

8. spacemanspiff06

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    pm castle about it, he's got a works 888 and 66 that he goes back and forth between on his VP free, plus he's a total tech hore, he'll give you the best oppion by far.

9. kail

kail Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I have an 04 front triangle. I broke the 01, and I'm still running an 01 swingarm. I'd like to get a new one of those next year just so I can run an 8" rotor.

10. kail

kail Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I'm definitely not into their SL models. Coil and oil cannot be matched by air. I don't even like their air assist preload adjustment, but I guess we're stuck with those now.

11. Sir_Crackien

Sir_Crackien Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    one thing i will note is that they supposidly change the sl air chamber this year so it can be run with longer travel forks. i'm still going to get a 66sl and we will see what we will see

12. odiwik

odiwik Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I went from a Monster T to an 888RC with drop-crowns.

The Monster T used to save me in all kinds of situations; now the 888 saves me in the exact same ways. I have no idea if the 66 would do the same.

13. stubby

stubby Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    i know someone who broke the 66rc at the steertube .

14. downhill66

downhill66 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    id go with the 888 if ur hucking things that often. and someone said the 06's are soposed to be even lighter.

15. Castle

Castle Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    these number might be a hair off since they are off the top of my head but let me clear some things up...

I have no experience on the '06 product, seeing as it is not available.

Some things to consider.

888rc2x axle to crown 580mm

66rc2x axle to crown 560mm

'00-'02 Monster axle to crown 555mm

Quality of travel, new internals for '06 so who knows right?

Last year the '05 66rc and 888rc were very different as far as quality of travel goes. Both were/are nice forks but, the 888 hands down was the better fork.

The 66 seemed to ramp up much earlier in it's travel, some would've liked this (for pedaling or hard braking in steeps), I found it kinda harsh on high speed chattery trails. Yes I set it up numerious ways.

I'd ask yourself really, do you want a slacker bike? or Would you like to keep a similar head angle and just shave some weight?

Something else to take into consideration. for '06 the 66 is post mount, I have yet to figure out why they are making this move besides keeping people on 8" rotors. (but why? simple? lighter?) I'm not a fan of post mount, one guerilla (big monkey style!) turn too many on the wrench and you have stripped out your lowers. Although this has "worked" for manitou in the passed

oh yeah, I'd vote 888rc2x

just random thoughts hope it helps in some way, and flame away

16. gmac

gmac Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I'm in the same boat on the same build.

My attempt @ contribution to the discussion is that I'm riding two forks. An older 98 Super T (More like a Mini-Monster w/all bolts and true 20mm) w/ 6" travel. Vy plush yet only 7.5lbs.

My second fork a 03 z150 w/ 6" and semi 20mm. around the same weight.

My suggestion is if you are going one fork go 06 888. The new single are sick but you may miss the DC feeling.

Maybe you should go w/ a second fork for trails... Not a bad idea for a Bullit anyway.

Now clearly a z150 is no 66. But for the cost you are getting a hella nice product. Really solid and w/ some work it could be better. I know NSBillet make flip flaps to beef up the axle area. And there are many articles... On how to tune the z150 and drop some weight from it also.

I realize this isn't what you were looking for. But, it may be the best solution.

17. bigdrop05

bigdrop05 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I have a 05 66RC on my 03 V10 & love it. bike is 44#..
    Also i have had 2 no 3 Monster-T's & were the bomb-just TOO heavy.
    Also had a Z150 but just didn't like 6".
    The 05 66RC is a TALL fork with great damping. SC forks are the rage. If Garreth Dyer & tons better riders than me ride em, they are good nuff 4 me..
    Flip a coin, but lighter weight is good IMO.

18. kail

kail Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

19. odiwik

odiwik Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I can actually freeride and pedal my bike up the mountain with the 888. There was no way with a Monster up front.

20. gmac

gmac Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    What does the 06 888 weigh and what is the A->C ?

Also, between the 2006 66 & 888. Are the internals exactly the same or vaguely similar ?

21. lucas

lucas Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Kail - Did you make a final choice?

I'm in almost the exact same position. I'm sending off my 01 bullit front for a replacement and trying to convince myself to hang up the monster.... I'm leaning toward the 888 but it will be a couple of weeks before I purchase and will probably change my mind 20 or 30 times.

Post some feedback on whatever you buy.... It might help me

22. wood-dog

wood-dog Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    How did this happen? Was it rider error or was it mechanical error?
    And what was the riders weight?

23. sleepinggiant

sleepinggiant Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Hope I dont burst any bubbles, but there is no more Bullit. :(
    http://www.santacruzmtb.com/

24. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    57 / 680
    I will make a Note to watch Disorder five........ youll see the 66 in action.... Stay away from the SL even on teh 66 it kills the feel off the fork... its not that much more weight for the Plushness of Coil.... anotehr idea when you Buy it have whoever you buy it from order it direct from Marzocchi.... give them your wieght with gear and tell them your riding style..... gotten many a hookup for some of my CUstoemrs that way.... theyll tune teh psrings and oil for your use but the differnce in stiffness from 66 to 888 is almsot not noticable.......Good Luck either youll be happy with.........i do know tehre was an issue with the 888's leacking right through the case... seen two myself do that the fix is sending it back to Marz for new lowers
    ________
    ANALGOOD

#24 -   Sep 30, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  25. wood-dog

wood-dog Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    ^
    Been drinking a bit tonight, huh, Mike?

26. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    57 / 680
    Lol no i havent been drinking yet tonight i just suck at typing. Maybe i should learn to edit my messages before i click the Post quick reply button
    ________
    HotRachel

#26 -   Oct 1, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011