Quantcast

I need more energy, and to get more in shape

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I keep crashing out on rides. Like today. I mean, yes, I did work today and then move my girfriends furniture up two flights of stairs, but....... I was almost two blocks behind the rest of the crew toward the end of our ride.

What is a good supplement to my diet? I know protien shakes are good, but...... I dunno how to make them. How much of what do you put in? I'm ignant, sorry

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
try sleep. i keep up with your posts. you seem to be going constantly. are you getting enough sleep? that's the first thing i change in my routine when i felt that i needed more energy. it really does work wonders.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
laura said:
<snip>i keep up with your posts. <snip>
Are you hitting on me?!

:D

I actually do watch my sleep, I have a chronic migraine problem, and one of the biggest triggers is not enough sleep. I get an average of 7ish hours a night. sometimes I get 9, somtimes I get 6. I try to keep it around 8, but......... thats hard.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
BigMike said:
Are you hitting on me?!

:D

you wish.

have you been checked for any kind of deficiency? do you drink/eat a lot of sugar? caffiene? i hate protien shakes ( i can't digest them well and they put me in severe pain) so i try any thing i possibly can to avoid them. if you eat a good balanced diet, the only supplement i would recomend is a multi vitamin.

if you want to go the protien shake route, the directions are on the package. i would recomend bars over shakes just because you can grab them and go.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
Are you eating/drinking enough during a ride? If so maybe you just need to ride more?
true dehydration will cause sluggishness as will not being fuled up. Drink and eat (i 'eat' 2 shots of hammer gel every hour (for rides over 2 hours)) also a drink of a 100 cals a bottle are recommended too.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I drink......... a LOT. I can blow through my 100oz camelbak. I actually just changed my drinking habits at work about a month or two ago. I used to just drink a LOT of water, but now, under the advice of one of the EMTs, I drink half water, half powerade. or, one bottle of water, then one of powerade. It seems to be working pretty well for hydration. I guess the answer is I just need to ride more. I am just so busy with work and the such, I don't always have time :(

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
try changing your diet to 65% carbs, 20% fat (unsaturated), and 15% protein. That'll give you higher energy. multiply your weight by 15 and add 10 calories for every minute you ride...that'll give you how many calories you should be eating for the right amount of energy.

good luck

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I drink a bit too much caffine I'de say. (20 oz every morning, 16 later in the day, tea in the afternoon)

I am training a good deal, usually 3-5 hours a day. (2 hours on road, 1 in gym, 2 on dh bike on a perfect day)

My problem is I can't sleep. I am tired as hell but I cant sleep...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I have no virtually no caffiene. sometimes i'll treat myself to a soda, but........ besides that, not much. I used to be addicted, and drink 8-12 cans a day :eek:

My big problem is all I want to do is sleep :(

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Stationary when you CANT ride outside. I get home at 900pm from work and ride the stationary for about an hour. When it rains or snows, I ride the staionary bike and use the bowflex. If you want to perform better, train or ride more. Its that sinple. :)

daydreamer

Chimp
Jun 17, 2005
If you're crashing out riding, and you eat a reasonabley healthy diet, and get sleep, and aren't overtaining, then maybe it's a blood sugar thing. Make sure you fuel up before you go, and stay fuelled WHILE you are riding. Skarf an energy bar, etc. on the fly.