Quantcast

I need more info on this watershed

chrish912

Chimp
Mar 2, 2004
richmond, VA
I've seen many references in threads to the 'shed, but everybody seems quite hush-hush about its riding features, terrain, trails, and more importantly (to people like me who've never been there) where is this ****er? I just want to take my XC bike there soon and ride around up there, maybe ride with some of ya'll sometime. I live in Richmond, Va. and would love to go ride out there, anyone wanna pm me with driving directions from the rich city? or are ya'll too cool to share with new riders? any additonal information about terrain and trail options would be helpful.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
I'm a newbie to the sport and to riding the 'Shed... and I am learning it's very hush-hush for good reason. It's not about being "too cool to share with other riders" at all.

The 'Shed is more freeride/downhill than XC... so I found it very helpful to research freeride a little to better understand the trails up at the 'Shed and the people who made them and ride them. It gave me even more appreciation for the 'Shed and the wonderful people who were nice enough to show me around up there.

Check out the video/DVD below about the evolution of freeride and it'll make more sense to you. I highly recommend it for anyone new to riding the 'Shed:

The Emergence: A North Shore Freeride Documentary

sguhrofst8

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Columbia, MD
There is alot of XC at the Shed too. It just tends to be rocky in spots, but i know alot of people who go there just for the XC. You can ride all kinds of stuff there, I know i prefer the drops, dh, etc ... but sometimes go out for a leg burn. I hope to be up there this sat around 9am, if interested. if not, there is a group going sunday i saw on another thread here. PM me if you have some questions.
--z--

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
There is more XC than FR/DH by far....
What I was getting at is that when people go nuts-o here on RM and post about "Who's riding the 'Shed?" but are kinda secretive at the same time, it seems to be people who are talking about the more DH-ish/freeride stuff. Sorry. Didn't mean to sound like there's no XC at the 'Shed. Just meant that a lot of the "hush-hush" seems to be surrounding the non-XC-ish riding. Or who knows.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Originally posted by Capt. Jack Sparrow
What I was getting at is that when people go nuts-o here on RM and post about "Who's riding the 'Shed?" but are kinda secretive at the same time, it seems to be people who are talking about the more DH-ish/freeride stuff. Sorry. Didn't mean to sound like there's no XC at the 'Shed. Just meant that a lot of the "hush-hush" seems to be surrounding the non-XC-ish riding. Or who knows.

You are correct; one is sanctioned and the other begrudgingly tolerated...until such time as the complainers gain the ear of the city manager or mayor.

mpd510

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Northern Va
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
You are correct; one is sanctioned and the other begrudgingly tolerated...until such time as the complainers gain the ear of the city manager or mayor.
and where do you stand on the issue?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Originally posted by mpd510
and where do you stand on the issue?

What issue? As far as I'm concerned, the more trails the merrier! The only thing I ever worry about is too much interest promoting too much interest...yaknowhatImean? Nobody cared about weed smoking, for example, until all the suburban kids started doing it too.