Quantcast

I Need Neck Protection Help please

strizzle

Chimp
Nov 22, 2009
Denver, CO
SO, I would really like your opinions on something. I really want to ride with neck protection, but I tried using a leatt-brace last year and I found it difficult to ride with. The back of my helmet hit the upper back part of the brace making it very hard to look up (I couldn't even see while riding some really steep terrain). I'm thinking about getting one of the new 661 droid armor systems but do you think I would run into the same problems? Is this problem something I would just have to get used to when running a neck brace or is it just not fitted right?? Please let me know, thanks guys.

Alex

Droid armor pic:
http://www.nsmb.com/assets/images/Interbike 2009/Ed assorted/661 Droid armor gimped.JPG

strizzle

Chimp
Nov 22, 2009
Denver, CO
I was using a bike helmet and I had the club leatt brace. It was adjusted all the way down (all 2mm of it lol). I tried it with pretty much every adjustment combo available and my helmet still hit it the back, making it VERY hard to see while riding on steep terrain.
I herd the alpinestars has a less expensive model coming out that has more backward mobility and there's that new 661 armor/neck brace combo which looks sick as hell, but I guess my main question is would all of these still restrict my head movement like the leatt?? I really want to ride with one, but if I"m gonna fall more because of it, it doesn't make sense to wear it.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
the alpinestars brace does give you more visibility than a leatt. I did a run on Saturday with one on and my helmet (moto) did hit, but it in no way restricted my vision. I couldn't ride with a leatt, I've tried and it was awful.

strizzle

Chimp
Nov 22, 2009
Denver, CO
Yea, I"m with you on the alpinestars I think. How do you like the ap neckbrace overall?? (stays in place, comfy, durable, etc) It def looks like you have more room to move around and the leatt was really scaring me, but I want to wear a brace after seeing some nasty crashes.

huntandride

Chimp
Feb 16, 2009
Reno
Leatt now has a kit that allows for better vision for bikes. It has thinner pads on the back as well a 5 degree back plate.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Thought I read on the Alpinestar neck brace is only for use with MOTO Helmet?
I am also looking to get neck protection and use a bicycle helmet (THE)
which ones work best with Bike helmets?

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
I was using a bike helmet and I had the club leatt brace. It was adjusted all the way down (all 2mm of it lol). I tried it with pretty much every adjustment combo available and my helmet still hit it the back, making it VERY hard to see while riding on steep terrain.
I herd the alpinestars has a less expensive model coming out that has more backward mobility and there's that new 661 armor/neck brace combo which looks sick as hell, but I guess my main question is would all of these still restrict my head movement like the leatt?? I really want to ride with one, but if I"m gonna fall more because of it, it doesn't make sense to wear it.
Did you search RM for some Leatt fine tuning tips? I wear a carbon Leatt with an O'neal moto helmet. I felt restricted at first but then after some e-searching I found some useful tips to increase upwards head movement.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
The best thing you can do is flip the two nuts around in the back to drop the back plate. That will let you see up the trails much better. Until I did that I contemplated getting rid of mine as it was more dangerous to ride with than without.

strizzle

Chimp
Nov 22, 2009
Denver, CO
I think for me right now comfort and visibility are my greatest concerns. The experience I had with the leatt made me want to forget about the whole neck protection thing all together. I read the whole article on cycle news about neck braces and it showed me a lot of the differences between certain braces. From what I gathered about the article, is that no brace can protect against every possible crash/neck injury. Some protect against certain impacts more than others so as a side effect some restrict your head movement more than others. I personally would rather wear a brace that doesn't restrict my movements as much (even if it doesn't protect against certain impacts) than not wear one at all. Thanks for the help guys I think I"m going with the ap Bionic brace, maybe I can wear my DOT helmet again!!

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Have you looked at the Omega neck brace,it's a new style of neck brace.Unlike the Alpinestars or leatt witch are rigid designed braces,the Omega has flexible wings that try absorb the impacts before directing the impact loads to the riders body.The Omega uses a semi rigid structure that has starting resemblance to the Alpinestars & Leatt braces,but also the leatt & alpinestars having it's wings fixed in place.The wings of the Omega act as a leaf spring witch means when the load is on the wings it gives,when it's reaches the predetermined point the load is then transferd to the riders body.

Also the main difirence to the leatt and alpinestars is that the Omega uses a open design,this means that the rider can rotate it's head forward.The wings of the Omega brace catches the edges of the helmet and slows down the riders head by any forward motion in the same way as the other braces are doing.

The Omega neck brace is 1 of the most adfortable new high end neck braces out there,the price sits between the price of the Leatt adventure and Leatt GPX club.Very intressting product to hit the market that cost $299,99.

http://www.omegabrace.com/why-omega

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Have you looked at the Omega neck brace,it's a new style of neck brace.Unlike the Alpinestars or leatt witch are rigid designed braces,the Omega has flexible wings that try absorb the impacts before directing the impact loads to the riders body.The Omega uses a semi rigid structure that has starting resemblance to the Alpinestars & Leatt braces,but also the leatt & alpinestars having it's wings fixed in place.The wings of the Omega act as a leaf spring witch means when the load is on the wings it gives,when it's reaches the predetermined point the load is then transferd to the riders body.

Also the main difirence to the leatt and alpinestars is that the Omega uses a open design,this means that the rider can rotate it's head forward.The wings of the Omega brace catches the edges of the helmet and slows down the riders head by any forward motion in the same way as the other braces are doing.

The Omega neck brace is 1 of the most adfortable new high end neck braces out there,the price sits between the price of the Leatt adventure and Leatt GPX club.Very intressting product to hit the market that cost $299,99.

http://www.omegabrace.com/why-omega
have you tried this brace on? if so you would know its not going to work. i tried one on and hated it. but hey thats just me, maybe someone else will like it...

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
have you tried this brace on? if so you would know its not going to work. i tried one on and hated it. but hey thats just me, maybe someone else will like it...
Yeah only tried this brace on 1 time at the MX shop but they recommend using their roost gaurd that is specialy made for wearing this brace.The adjustments are a litle difirend than on the leatt,on adjustments the Leatt wins from the Omega but i haven't riddin it on the trails but i have a feeling that suspension wings of the Omega is better for the rider imo compaired to the rigid designed cousins.What i have write down in my previous post was from the point of view from the guy's wearing the Omega braces and they said switching from Leatt to Omega was the best thing they did.

The Omega brace isn't every ones cup of tea but it's a new neck style brace that hits the market,the guy who designed the Omega brace witch is Remo Berlese knows he's stuff and is no stranger arround the block when it comes to designing/making protection.I think it's a great product they have released

I have to agree with you some will hate it and some will love it,it's good to see more companies have their view on neck braces.

Last edited: