Quantcast

I need opinions on a wheelset....

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
A machine built wheel made out of nice parts is still a machine built wheel. Save your pennies and get some nice handbuilt wheels...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Those are for Aubrey's bike right Stosh - the look pretty decent to me.

Question for Echo - what would be a good "value" in a handbuilt wheel?

J

JRB

I would buy them, stosh. You can have them tensioned at the shop and still weigh in under $200 for a nice set of wheels. I like WTB stuff.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
I would buy them, stosh. You can have them tensioned at the shop and still weigh in under $200 for a nice set of wheels. I like WTB stuff.
Yeah their for Aubrey or maybe i'll upgrade my wheelset.... hrmmm....

Thanks for the input guys!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
a few friends of mine have had good luck getting mail order wheels and then re-tensioning them when they get 'em.
excuse my stupidity buy why should I re-tension them?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Echo said:
A machine built wheel made out of nice parts is still a machine built wheel. Save your pennies and get some nice handbuilt wheels...

Their just for my GF's bike.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh said:
excuse my stupidity buy why should I re-tension them?
because they might be true and not evenly tensioned, and they will come out of true faster. a properly tensioned wheel is a happy wheel, and one w/ a long life span.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
dh girlie said:
Don't you want only the best for her bike? I mean, afterall...she does put up with YOU! :p
Did you see South Park yesterday or Wed?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
because they might be true and not evenly tensioned, and they will come out of true faster. a properly tensioned wheel is a happy wheel, and one w/ a long life span.
Narlus hit it on the head with that one - I bought some Sun Singletracks laced to XT disc hubs last winter from a builder on Ebay - but they still needed to be retensioned. But they worked well for me. IF_Rider now has those wheels on his Giant AC1.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, they did a big price hike. i think if you shopped around you could get a front and rear hub for about $400, but those days are over.

i've got a rear CK hub, but only because it was on the bike when i bought it. i'd never shell out the $$$ for a CK hub. on the other hand, i still think their headsets are good value, and have them on virtually all the bikes i own.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
They certainly aren't cheap! And CK just hiked prices on just about everything they make/sell didn't they?
Yup, but you can still find sets that are relatively affordable.
King Disc hubs on Mavic 717 or 719s will run you about $525 at Colorado Cyclist.

For me, "relatively" means "not affordable by guys with new kids & new mortgages". :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
yeah, they did a big price hike. i think if you shopped around you could get a front and rear hub for about $400, but those days are over.

i've got a rear CK hub, but only because it was on the bike when i bought it. i'd never shell out the $$$ for a CK hub. on the other hand, i still think their headsets are good value, and have them on virtually all the bikes i own.
I didn't have to worry about shelling out too much cash for it...

Actually, my hunny got me the front wheel for xmas...I got quite a bit of cash from the guys here at work...then I sold the extra headset and my old wheels. I think I only had to come up with about 70 bucks outta my pocket. :D

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
dh girlie said:
I guess I'd have to see it to get it...
Probably a good idea actually no it probably wouldn't help. I was looking at it was abstractly so you probably wouldnt' get it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Carbon Fetish said:
I've got that same wheelset sitting in the garage that is lightly used. I'll sell it for $175 shipped or OBO.
check your PM's

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dh girlie said:
Figures you'd poo poo my lovely new wheelset!

Actually, my hunny got me the front wheel for xmas...I got quite a bit of cash from the guys here at work...then I sold the extra headset and my old wheels. I think I only had to come up with about 70 bucks outta my pocket. :D
i'm not poo-poo'ing yr wheelset. i think King stuff is nice, but now their hubs are more $ than i'd spend on a bike hub.

kinda the same thing w/ cars. something like a lotus elise would be nice, but i don't consider spending 40K on a car a smart financial move, personally.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
My mongoose has a WTB wheelset on it and it's held up very well. I bent the front rim pretty bad and replaced it with a mavic, still running the wtb hubs. I have no idea how heavy they are, but I've been really pleased with the hubs, and the rims have held up as well or better than anything else I've ridden.

I'd recommend wtb stuff.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
My mongoose has a WTB wheelset on it and it's held up very well. I bent the front rim pretty bad and replaced it with a mavic, still running the wtb hubs. I have no idea how heavy they are, but I've been really pleased with the hubs, and the rims have held up as well or better than anything else I've ridden.

I'd recommend wtb stuff.
thanks!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
i'm not poo-poo'ing yr wheelset. i think King stuff is nice, but now their hubs are more $ than i'd spend on a bike hub.

kinda the same thing w/ cars. something like a lotus elise would be nice, but i don't consider spending 40K on a car a smart financial move, personally.

well...I personally care less about the performance or quality of the hub...I just care that they are pink...