TCP21

Monkey
May 13, 2005
Greensboro, NC

srphillips89

Monkey
Jan 29, 2006
Boone NC
You might like Pisgah, but how often do you ride there? You need to get the fork that will be best suited for what you will be doing all the time but can handle the occasional trip to Pisgah, Du Pont etc. I just remeber you saying that you've only been to Pisgah once.

TCP21

Monkey
May 13, 2005
Greensboro, NC
yeah it is true but i have only been once because i didnt have the bike to do it. i plan to go more next year but i mostly do DH and Dirtjumps, and urban. and trail ride like salem, and stuff in that range

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
i am getting a 07 Kona Cowan DS but i need a fork for it. i found 2 that i really like the features on it.

Rockshox Tora 06
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK503A13-Rockshox+Tora+06.aspx

Manitou Nixon ELite 06
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK409A15-Manitou+Nixon+Elite+06.aspx

i do Dj's, urban, trail rides, like pisgah and places liek that and this will be my light DH and All mountain dirt jump bike. so i need opinons.
Out of those two I'd go for the Nixon. You'l probably Motomike the Tora. Why not a pike? I suggest you get something with adjustable travel, or dont go over 120mm.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Josh, save up your money or buy a used Pike. Then you can have 4inches for dirt jumping and 6inches for Pisgah. Nothing else makes sense (other than the outrageously expensive Talas).

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
You can still find Nixons with the IT (Infinite Travel system, which allows you to change the travel from slam down to 150mm) for cheaper than a Pike. Don't get me wrong, I would rock a Pike any day of the week, but Nixons can behad right now for more than 50% MSRP from many online dealers.

Speaking of the Nixon, does anyone know if they can be spaced down to 80-100mm of travel? Kinda like what Nemesis Project does with Marzocchis?

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
i wouldnt get a rock shox, ive never liked um, plus ive seen more rs fork break then any other fox/manitou/or marz fork... not to mention they flex like crap. but if you want something superlight go with the rs.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
just take the oil out of it and it'll be lighter ;)
Or get stronger.

i wouldnt get a rock shox, ive never liked um, plus ive seen more rs fork break then any other fox/manitou/or marz fork... not to mention they flex like crap. but if you want something superlight go with the rs.
I think they've changed a lot since Scram's been involved with them. I'd even venture to say they're more reliable than a Manitou. I doubt the bike will flex much either judjing by the ammount of people who race them.

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
**************************Zack speaking :P ************

Ya they are much better since SRAM took over, BUT they flex more still.... now there service is a ton better then before, it all boils down to personal pref tho, Id go for a Marz fork over anything because i love them... but they generally are heavyier.... Most reason i would run a Manitou would be because of the hook up i have with ian if anything was to happen to it...... RS are pretty simple forks tho.... heck most forks are simple to work on..... Manitous got a very simple design to maint wise, there easy as heck to work on also.... But of them all im really impressed with the FX Fox forks, its pretty neat how the lockout works on that fork and if youve ever had one apart youll know what i mean. its just plain neat......