Quantcast

I need some CRANK!!!!

lines

Chimp
Oct 20, 2006
Ok I am heading to SS land. I got almost everything set for the build but I have no idea what kind of crank to use.

I dont care for ISIS drive and I want stiff and somewhat light.

Suggestions?

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I have a bike with the TruVativ SS crank/outboard bearing setup and it feels like I'm pedaling through mud all the time. I checked the free spin on the cranks and it seems to be dragging, (parasitic drag) and I was wondering if this is common or if it needs a breaking in period, or what.

That said, the old Cooks Bros. cranks and UN-73 BB combo is pretty awesome, and the old Race Face square taper with UN-73 is just as good. Yes, they are hard to find cranks, but they work great.

Modern equivilent would be the White Brothers ENO set up.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
We just set another Surly KM up with that crankset an it spins great. We use a lot of RF and Truvativ product at the shop and the only time we have run in to any kind of drag or binding issues were when the customer spaced the bb wrong or the bb not being faced properly.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
yeah, sometimes if you dont have enough spacers, you can crush the internal seal thing that connects the two cups.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
This is on a Raleigh XXIX. It just doesn't feel right to me. I think I'll be taking it apart and checking on it. I'll let you all know what I find.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i wish carumba still made cranks!
they were the best! the best jerry, the best!

benwitt11

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Did you get that BB fixed Mark? I have the Phil tool for replacing those bearings. What a difference! Let me know.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I sold that XXIX to a friend. Partially because he really wanted a 29"er SS. Partially to fund my wife's Christmas gift and to get a couple goodies for te Haro Mary XC.

Before I sent it down the road, I took off the chain and spun the cranks. No where close to being free! There was some pretty significant drag in those bearings. I would try to spin the cranks and they would turn six maybe seven times before stopping. Not very good!

If I get into some outboard bearing cranks in the future, I may take you up on that offer, Ben. Thanks!

In fact, there is something bright and orange on the way, but it's not what you think it might be!

Stay tuned......pics next week!

benwitt11

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Can't be. No way for a SS wheelset to work without a tensioner. ;) I'm betting Rob finally got him on a Badger!