Quantcast

I need some feedback...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I must admit, I'd like to try that Sunday's high BB to see what it's all about.
Yeah, I would too. My feeling is that it'd probably be fine and feel OK for slow speeds on street and park... but, I just think for trails at speed that it would be way too top heavy. 13.75" is higher than any 26" mtbmx frame... and they even get another inch from bigger wheels, plus additional stability from bigger wheels. I never thought we'd be talking about a cruiser with a 12.7" bb and be saying that it's low... haha.

knowayback

Chimp
Sep 25, 2008
the protos sound great - soooo glad ur doing the longer toptube, 12.7 sounds perfect especially when combined with the short stays, would of thought steeper head angles on both, 75 h/a on the 22.3 & 74 on the 21.9
keep up the good work!

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I'm going to jump on the steeper HT angle. 74.5 is always money, but I'm sure 74 will be good. Also, the chainstays, are you going 14.25 center of drop out or slammed? I would love to have an extra .25" on my Tonic, and with the longer TT it might be good with the leverage and all.

Just my .02

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Well, I'm not sure I want to go steeper than 74... for a couple reasons. For one, I don't really like a steeper HA all that much. It's great for nose manuals, but other than that, it just makes the ride a little more twitchy at speed. 74 is perfect for trails (and I intend for this to be a more trails oriented frame). Look at the new Deluxe BMX trails frames... 74. The 2nd thing is foot clearance. It's going to be tight as is. A steeper HA would just make it worse. That's why we're trying 73.5 on the shorter one. But, we'll try to do what we can to get it to be 74.

Why is it exactly that you want a steeper HA?

Stays are 14.25" slammed. I'm not sure we can go any shorter without doing some type of chainstay yoke setup. Once we ride them, we'll be able to tell if it needs to be shorter, or the bb higher, or both. Remember that this already has a significantly higher bb and shorter stays than the fall guy... so it should come up and pop quite a bit easier.

Thanks for the input guys!!

Last edited:

knowayback

Chimp
Sep 25, 2008
Why is it exactly that you want a steeper HA?
Cos I ride about 85% street, 10% park & 5% trails so i'm after a more nimble frame. I'm all about the tech! - I wish!
Seriously though my favorite things to do are big bunnyhops, hop 360s, manuals, nosebonks and (attempted) nosewheelies. Also love a big & fast I80 with quick snap, tyre squealing revert...you get the idea!
If it weren't for my enormous stature I doubt i'd even be cosidering a 24, but even a deuce deuce feels cramped & unless someone brings out 10" bars or forks with super long steerer tubes i'm never gonna get my bars where i want them.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Cru, I hear you on the stability, but I do like a steep headtube just for how it feels doing airs, hops, whatever. I like a nimble bike much like the last guys said, and like most riders, I would imagine this bike will see a number of applications, not just trails.

Its your bike, man, and I'm sure you'll make it sweet.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Cru-

The CAD drawing looks great - very pro. And those geo numbers look spot on. I'd wager the Proto 2 will be the better but you might not be even to tell the difference. I really think the 73.5 HT angle is going to be plenty fine for the 24" wheels. Can't wait to see how the protos come out.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
DK finally has their new site up and running. Looks like there is a 24" version of the R/T available.
Nice. The DK R/T fork has a 15 mm offset... quite a bit less than most forks. That would help with the foot clearance issue. I was thinking about that as a possible solution if we ever offered a fork.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Cru: Any news on the cruiser?

If you plan to sell these, who's gonna build the frames for you?
I should have the prototypes in about a month. The protos and the production run (if we do it) will be made in Taiwan. That's where most bmx frames are made these days. The quality and price combination from Taiwan is unbeatable. I'm working with an existing bmx company to handle the Taiwanese production. I'm not sure I'm allowed to tell you guys who they are, but they have put out high quality, cost effective frames for awhile now. Don't worry, I'll definitely keep you guys up to date with what's going on.

:cheers:

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Very cool Cru, can't wait to see a finished product. Thomas over at AtomLab is welding up the next generation Trailking and I'm getting a prototype here in a few weeks. Absolutely can't wait and I'm sure you're as excited as I am to get on a bike that's a little different from all the others out there. I'll post up a build once I'm done, but here's a sneak peak that Thomas sent me over.

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
I should have the prototypes in about a month. The protos and the production run (if we do it) will be made in Taiwan. That's where most bmx frames are made these days. The quality and price combination from Taiwan is unbeatable. I'm working with an existing bmx company to handle the Taiwanese production. I'm not sure I'm allowed to tell you guys who they are, but they have put out high quality, cost effective frames for awhile now. Don't worry, I'll definitely keep you guys up to date with what's going on.

Sounds good man. Looking forward to see the prototypes. I seriously hope you guys go all the way with this company.

Best of luck! :cheers:

cencalballer

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
Very cool Cru, can't wait to see a finished product. Thomas over at AtomLab is welding up the next generation Trailking and I'm getting a prototype here in a few weeks. Absolutely can't wait and I'm sure you're as excited as I am to get on a bike that's a little different from all the others out there. I'll post up a build once I'm done, but here's a sneak peak that Thomas sent me over.

i got to ride mikes 24" only trailking sweet bike that was any idea on when the pimp fork will be coming out i know he was looking to switch suppliers

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007

s&m

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
as much as i love S&M and (experienced) american fabricators... my pocketbook is kinda enjoying (quality) taiwan frames. A good/fair price on a bike like this will make it that much easier to add to my stable.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
as much as i love S&M and (experienced) american fabricators... my pocketbook is kinda enjoying (quality) taiwan frames. A good/fair price on a bike like this will make it that much easier to add to my stable.
Word.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
No, S&M would NEVER outsource. Hecho En Santa Ana.
I was there today. Such a cool company and shop. It was a lot smaller than I expected it to be, but it had such a cool vibe. The mini ramp is RIGHT as you walk in the front door... you could get blasted if you're not careful.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Good luck with it!

Rarely do riders have the vision / gumption/ know-how to get to a ride-able version of something they'd like to try.

-L

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Good luck with it!

Rarely do riders have the vision / gumption/ know-how to get to a ride-able version of something they'd like to try.

-L
Thanks, Landon, I appreciate it. I wish I had the know-how and resources to do something like you do. It must be fulfilling to see people so enthusiastic about something you've made.

Strauss, it will be a week or so before I get my 2six together with the new fork. I'll post pics when it's up and running.

Oct 6, 2008
Plainfield, IL
No integrated SPC...kick it classic and make someone accesorize with a $10, 1 ounce or less purchase of a clamp.

That's 95% of the reason I bought an '08 Dirt Bike...S&M kept it classic and low key.