Quantcast

I need some feedback...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
loving that yellow. i can't wait to build it up...
It looks so bright and clean in person. I think you'll be stoked on it.

rpet, I have thought about that. But, initially, I can only really afford to go with one style of frame. The cruiser is really the one that I want to do since there aren't a lot of quality choices in that category. Maybe later on down the road we could offer both.

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
Those do look nice. I wonder what the toe overlap is gonna be like. Do both frames still have the 73/74 degree head angle?

...I wonder what the toe overlap is gonna be like...
toe overlap will be a non-issue. we thought these out against my current cruiser(which has none) and still went with longer toptubes to add some insurance. now that we need to run mtb forks on them that will give even more clearance since the leading edge of the wheel will be even lower than anticipated adding about another 15mm or so to the distance from the bb...

mine(yellow) has a 73.5 head angle and the black(bryceXlighthall's) has the 74...

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
Why should the headset be any different? I have never known a ton about the "intricacies" of bike-techie ****, but I was just gonna swap my headset from my eastern.

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
Well, there seems to be a ton of folks on this forum that appear to spend a lot of time thinking about that sort of thing. I am out-to-lunch on most things on this board besides actually being able to ride. Ps. You missed a good bike launch on Friday.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I'm actually going to kind of miss these things. I thought about keeping one for myself. Here are the specs and some more pics.

Proto 1 - Sulfur Yellow:
TT: 21.9
BB: 12.5
HA: 73.5

Proto 2 - Flat Graphite:
TT: 22.3
BB: 12.7
HA: 74

Same on both:
CS: 14.25
SA: 71.5
ST: 9.1 center to center

Both are based around a 460 mm axle to crown fork.

Last edited:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
whats the weight on these
Right at 6 lbs. They are a little heavier than I wanted. Part of it is due to them being based around a suspension fork instead of a cruiser fork, because that makes the downtube longer. I'm going to do a few things to lighten up the cruiser version. Probably slightly smaller diameter tubing for the stays and possibly an internally butted seat tube.

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
Mine will be less than that, I'm shaving the seat post flat and edging out the dropouts, compliments of Andrew Jackson's Dad's grinder.

-Huge positive on the weight (tubing diameter)... I will never bend the rear triangle.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
good first stab cru! there's something to be said about actually gettin sh1t done no matter if it's 100% correct or not. proto's get sent out w/ mistakes more than you would think.

for some reason the seat tube doesn't look like it's notched for a clamp. maybe its just me :)

drop outs look clean. look kinda like fit hawk drops...taiwan vendor cru?:brows:

are the chainstay tubes crimped for tire clearance?

chainstays look beefy as fvck haha. they look like my old bmw park bike. you could prob shave a lot of weight from those.

angled guide is a nice touch.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
good first stab cru! there's something to be said about actually gettin sh1t done no matter if it's 100% correct or not. proto's get sent out w/ mistakes more than you would think.

for some reason the seat tube doesn't look like it's notched for a clamp. maybe its just me :)

drop outs look clean. look kinda like fit hawk drops...taiwan vendor cru?:brows:

are the chainstay tubes crimped for tire clearance?

chainstays look beefy as fvck haha. they look like my old bmw park bike. you could prob shave a lot of weight from those.

angled guide is a nice touch.
Thanks. Yeah, I have mixed feelings about these frames. There is a little sense of accomplishment, but disappointment at the same time in that they aren't exactly right.

Yeah, seat tube is notched for a clamp, just can't see it in the pictures.

I like the drops, too. Yeah, Taiwanese vendor. I don't think it's the same as Fits, but who knows... there aren't that many of them. I'm still not sure if I should say who I'm working with... I should ask if it's kosher to share.

Yeah, stays are crimped for clearance on a 2.3 tire. They are also crimped on the drive side for clearance of a 32 tooth chainwheel. I thought about doing some sort of yoke setup to minimize the harsh crimps. But, I also wanted to keep it as modern bmxish as possible. The bends actually aren't as bad as I had feared. And it seems strong as hell with that size of tubing and bridges on both stays.

Glad you noticed the angled guide. I think for the cruisers, we will go with removable mounts and guides.

Last edited:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Mine will be less than that, I'm shaving the seat post flat and edging out the dropouts, compliments of Andrew Jackson's Dad's grinder.
Nice. What do you mean by edging the drops? Don't touch those things!! Haha.

What kind of wedge post are you going to get? I recommend the Stolen over the Animal. It will apply the pressure more evenly in the seat tube, plus you can get a shorter one.

little progress report. bxl's bike is far more complete than mine, but i need a front wheel still before i convert the rest of my parts over from my cruiser(who's got a 24" front wheel on a 20mm hub?). modded down a 4x to 40-45mm's and threw on some black dj lowers. flat blacked the knobs and the nemesis stem. the yellow is so bright, it's practically impossible to get a picture without the glare...

Last edited:

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
ah man these angles seem so steep to me... I've been taught on my dads principles that even 72 is "way steep" ...different era, yes. But I feel slacker angles keep you out of trouble.

nah, feels good and ramps up pretty quick too. just enough travel, but not much. i wanted to put a rigid on it, put that would have required a purchase...

edit: fork has a shorter a2c than most rigid forks. the black market contraband would have been the perfect rigid fork for this frame...

Last edited:
ah man these angles seem so steep to me... I've been taught on my dads principles that even 72 is "way steep" ...different era, yes. But I feel slacker angles keep you out of trouble.
these aren't meant to be your dad's mountain bikes. hell, it's not even really meant to be a "mountain bike" at all. it's supposed to be a bike with todays aggressive bmx geometry that rolls on 24" wheels...

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
I understand that, and I also said that is what HE told me. His opinions... I plan to build my next frame with a steeper H/A than he would like to see, but I told him its my frame and ima build it how I want. Just saying that I STILL think 74 sounds super steep.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Welcome to the danger zone!:monkeydance:

the top tube on these things is pretty long, eh? with such a steep HA, seems like it'd have to be, for toe clearance issues..

makes me wonder if the STP I'm looking at might be too slack? I like a twitchy bike...

...I STILL think 74 sounds super steep.
seeing as how this is designed to be more 20" bmx geometry oriented, it couldn't be any more spot on. technically it was actually designed around a 463mm a2c to have some 73.5 action. i'm under that, but like a steeper more responsive HA opposed to the slacker sluggish feel of the 69-70 degree realm. it's custom stuff, you more than most, should know where we're coming from...

Last edited:

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
I understand COMPLETELY where you're coming from, all I'm saying is from what I've ridden (which is deffinitally nothing like you..) I have not enjoyed the steep BMXish H/A's. You shred and shred hard, you know what you like, and I respect that.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
little progress report. bxl's bike is far more complete than mine, but i need a front wheel still before i convert the rest of my parts over from my cruiser(who's got a 24" front wheel on a 20mm hub?). modded down a 4x to 40-45mm's and threw on some black dj lowers. flat blacked the knobs and the nemesis stem. the yellow is so bright, it's practically impossible to get a picture without the glare...
WOAH!........ Nice shovel! Is that bad boy from home depot or local tool shop?

newrider3

Monkey
Oct 13, 2007
Colorado
Reminds me of my favorite shovel someone jacked from my garage. It had to be 30 years old. I snapped it straight through the steel neck, then rewelded it with a plate steel gusset.
Wait, what was this thread about?

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
One thing to keep in mind when comparing head angles between a bmx and mtb is that a mtb fork has more offset than a bmx fork, which reduces trail.

So if you have a bmx and mtb with equal head angles and equal wheel sizes the mtb will have less trail by nature of the fork offset, and be less stable.

Wheel size, head angle and offset effect trail. You will notice that the offset increases on forks designed for bigger wheels, that was the whole thing for the new gary fisher g2 geometry on 29" xc bikes, they increased the fork offset so that they could slack out the head angle and achieve the same trail numbers but increase the toe overlap.

If you have a fork designed around a 26" wheel (probably 42mm of offset compared to a cruiser fork that has maybe 35mm offset) and you put a 24" wheel on it you are decreasing trail just buy nature of the wheel size, and then shortening the axle to crown you are decreasing trail again

Not saying you can't shred on 74 degree ha, but it will be even more sketchey than a bmx cruiser.

your post makes my head hurt. i'm not a numbers geek, i just ride and know what i like. my current wheelbase is the same as the new one, that's also why i stated that the front center on both bikes(my current cruiser where i have no issues and new the mtbmx) are the same with the fork reversed(where the overlap would occur) and they measure out to the same so there should be no issues on my bike...

and FWIW, my last 2 hardtail mtb frames also ran a 74 degree HA, that's just how i roll. i can't stand a bike with anything less than 72 anyway, feels like i'm riding a chopper...

sorry if i mis-interpeted(sp?) what you were actually saying. i ride by feel, not numbers on paper...

Last edited: