Quantcast

I need some help....

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Ok, I am going to ask for some ideas since I can't come up with anything right now. Here it goes, in NC seniors have to do a senior project consisting of a physical project and a paper (6-10 page argumentative paper). So for my physical project I'm starting a bike club at school (we're going to go on road/xc/dh rides), and I'm designing and printing 4-color jerseys for the team. Now it gets to the part where I need yall's help, my paper needs to be argumentative (two obvious sides to the issue) and it also needs to have documentation floating around of what both sides say about the issue. And I would like to keep the paper focused around physical fitness/athletics. The one idea I have now is to do something centered around how bikers should be treated the same as hikers therefore should have access to the same trails.

So, if yall can help me to come up with ideas for my paper that would be absolutely amazing. :help: :help:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
btw, 4 color jerseys are like $80 a pop.

I think focusing the goal of your club is critical to being successful. I know from running a biking club in HS, that too many splinters means nothing gets done.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
sanjuro said:
btw, 4 color jerseys are like $80 a pop.

I think focusing the goal of your club is critical to being successful. I know from running a biking club in HS, that too many splinters means nothing gets done.

I'm designing and screen printing the jersey's myself, so it shouldn't be that much. And the club will pretty much just be a group of people to ride with (I don't think many splinters can come from that; correct me with what I'm missing)

But right now I'm more focused on getting a good idea for my paper.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
How about cycling vs. XC running and the long term health effects, ie benefits/detriments to knees and other joints, since cycling is low impact, eh?

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
BurlyShirley said:
How about cycling vs. XC running and the long term health effects, ie benefits/detriments to knees and other joints, since cycling is low impact, eh?

I like it, however I would have to pick a side. So I would go for the one that I could write more about. Plus, I'm running xc right now so it will tie in great; i can keep records of how my joints feel after a nice 12 mile run, and then after a couple hours of riding.

Thanks for that suggestion.

I'll keep you guys updated...whether you want me to or not on how the whole thing goes.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
If you wanted to build upon the idea of how cyclists should have more rights on trails then I'm sure there'd be a lot of resources on imba's website. As far as a multiple sided issue on cycling goes I think that trail usage is probably one of the more prevelant ones and certainly one that most of us think is important.

Perhaps you can involve this biking club in trail advocacy organizations; go build some trails and help promote trail etiquette. You could argue for legalizing/keeping trails for mountain bikes and talk about the benefits of mountain bikers and how it's frequently only a few asses that ruin things for others like in any other activity.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I wrote a paper on this subject already, I could email it to you if you would like. It has to do with the hiker biker conflict we have in SB, and why bikers should have the same rights to use the trails. I received a 96 on it. I let you read it over and get some ideas. I did the research but i can't find the work sited page.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Also my bro and i started a DH team at our school. It is going great we have jersys and sponsors now. We compete against the othe schools.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Thanks you guys, and I'm still not set on the trail equality subject, I'm actually throwing around doing my paper on the need for a paved walkway to run beside the blue ridge parkway. So if anyone could send any info they have on city/urban paved trails for walkers/bikers/runners my way that would be wonderful.

Robusto

Monkey
SXtrailrider said:
Also my bro and i started a DH team at our school. It is going great we have jersys and sponsors now. We compete against the othe schools.
That sounds awesome, I wish I could get something like that going at my school... how did you get that started?

On the other note.. the trail advocacy idea sounds really great.