Quantcast

I need some new pads

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I was quite happy with my Lizard Skins. I had both the soft arm and shin pads. They worked well and were comfy on long rides. But they were 6 years old, got smelly, and fell apart. I want something that has good coverage/protection, I can ride long distances with, clean up good, and have some knee coverage. Cheap would be cool too. I have SixSixOne setup that I use for playing but I need something lighter and cooler for XC stuff.

jdcamb

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Dainese. Not cheap but light and really good. You can just wash them in a machine with your clothes too.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
blue said:
Who wears armor for xc?

That's sooooo namby pamby.
After the doc removed the bone chip that migrated out of calf muscle. I will be..... That and my girlfriend say my legs look nasty all scarred up.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
kidwoo said:
For protection and durability without the heat of neoprene: TLD

If you're going to be climbing/riding a lot of xc with them get the most vented: dianese
Can you recommend a specific Dainese setup?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I just use the knee/shin combo and occasionally pair it with the elbow/forearm combo. The suits are a bit much...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
jdcamb said:
Can you recommend a specific Dainese setup?
The ones that you have to take your shoes off to put on......not the "freeride" ones. Kneeguard revolution yo....sign up.

http://www.go-ride.com/prod_armor_dainese.html

I'm not a huge fan of dianese stuff I should say. That mesh stretches (and tears) pretty easily. I had a pair of these and had to sew them to some neoprene 661 underpads to get them to not slide down on me.

If you're going to be climbing sans pads and then sticking them on, I'd still reccomend the TLD combat pads. That's what I use for dh and you can stick them on without taking your shoes off. The strap that goes over your calf isn't elastic so it stays put when you land on it.

It's just not as comfy as the dianese if you want to go climbing in them which it sounds like it might be as or more important in what you're looking for.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
jdcamb said:
After the doc removed the bone chip that migrated out of calf muscle. I will be..... That and my girlfriend say my legs look nasty all scarred up.
NAMBY PAMBY@!$*(&^$@(!@$!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111 :oink:

My girlfriend thinks it's cute.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
blue said:
NAMBY PAMBY@!$*(&^$@(!@$!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111 :oink:

My girlfriend thinks it's cute.
I think you may have confused this serious thread with the drivel you usually enjoy posting in. Thanks for your contribution....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
http://www.bestwebbuys.com/bikes/search?q=fox+north+shore&isrc=i-home-search&x=0&y=0

How come nobody ever believes me.....:wonky2:

For long road climbs you strap these onto your frame. Take less than a minute to put on and take off. Lightweight yet durable, they are more burly than your typical wrap pad, yet they do not fray and chafe. The hard knee cup runs higher than typical armor to protect for those OTB superman slides. And here's the kicker.... They do not move when you pedal, even after a whole day of spinning, sprints, climbs, doin the cha cha, they stay put.....

And trust me it get's hot on the East Side of the Cascades where i ride alot.....

i was way to burnt out last night to wanna illustrate on this....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Skookum said:
http://www.bestwebbuys.com/bikes/search?q=fox+north+shore&isrc=i-home-search&x=0&y=0

How come nobody ever believes me.....:wonky2:

For long road climbs you strap these onto your frame. Take less than a minute to put on and take off. Lightweight yet durable, they are more burly than your typical wrap pad, yet they do not fray and chafe. The hard knee cup runs higher than typical armor to protect for those OTB superman slides. And here's the kicker.... They do not move when you pedal, even after a whole day of spinning, sprints, climbs, doin the cha cha, they stay put.....

And trust me it get's hot on the East Side of the Cascades where i ride alot.....

i was way to burnt out last night to wanna illustrate on this....

Based on your recommendation I am going to try these. I hope your feeling better.