Quantcast

I need some sort of road bike...

Discussion in 'Road & Cyclocross' started by Colin, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Colin

Colin Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Only, I'm not real fond of riding on the road.

I want to build a road-ish bike for shorter road rides, trips to the market, commuting to work, etc. I've had an ill-fitting geared cyclocross bike in the past, but never a true road bike. Not that I want a true road bike. Riding mostly off-road, I wonder if a 29" bike with skinny tiers and a more upright, flat-bar position would be more comfortable. Or, a more road-oriented singlespeed/fixed bike like the Lemond Fillmore.

So, as you can see I rally have no idea what I want at this point, but I was hoping some might have some advice for a similar bike. I live in So. Florida, so there are no hills, fun corners, or bike lanes. Well, only a few.

Thanks in advance,

Colin

#1 -   Sep 6, 2005

Please register to disable this ad.

2. LordOpie

LordOpie MOTHER HEN

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    You want a multi-purpose, multi-terrain bike... that's not a road bike at all.

If you said you wanted to do some really long rides, I would've suggested a road bike.

Sure, 29er will work, so would a regular mtb as well as cx. You could also use a touring bike.

If you want to do commuting and shopping, try to get a bike with front and/or rear rack mounts. Nashbar has a steel cx fork that's not too much money that'd work.

#2 -   Sep 6, 2005
  3. indieboy

indieboy Want fries with that?

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 1
    just curious, but what's so uncomfortable about a road bike?

#3 -   Sep 7, 2005
  4. Colin

Colin Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Never said it was uncomfortable. Just that I am more comfortable on my singlespeed mountain bike than a road bike. Haven't spent much time on a road bike; that's all.

#4 -   Sep 7, 2005
  5. ito

ito Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    A 29er mountain bike sounds perfect.

Before I got a road bike I was using my Surly Karate Monkey as a single speed XC racer, my trail bike, with CX treads it made a decent cyclocross race, a fixed gear on the road, and with racks a fixed gear touring bike. I also got all my groceries on it.

Rigid fork, singlespeed, road tires, very efficient and very comfortable. Pulled some 100+ mile days on it and never had a complaint. Steel is definitely real. It kind of sucks changing tires, but I loved riding a century and then getting n 30 miles of trails the next day on the same bike.

Check it out, might be what you are looking for.

The Ito

#5 -   Sep 8, 2005
  6. Serial Midget

Serial Midget Al Bundy

Rep/Likes:
    130 / 1,353
    A road bike wouldn't be ideal for any of what you describe. When I "go to the market" I always ride one on my mountain bikes. If I were to commute again I wouldn't do that on my road bike either. Just keep a spare wheelset with slicks handy and your good to go on any bike.

#6 -   Sep 8, 2005
  7. Colin

Colin Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Well, I would like to try doing more road rides as well. What I think may work is something like the Lemond Fillmore (albeit it is a bit pricey), Specialized Langster, or Raleigh Rush. Run it with a freewheel.

#7 -   Sep 9, 2005
  8. Serial Midget

Serial Midget Al Bundy

Rep/Likes:
    130 / 1,353
    Sounds like you're going to need a bigger apartment. :monkey:

#8 -   Sep 9, 2005
  9. Colin

Colin Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    You don't know the half of it...

10. bluebug32

bluebug32 Asshat

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I would go and just test out a few since comfort seems to be your main concern. If you're just bumming around and going to the market, why bother blowing a lot of money on a really nice bike when it's just going to be chained to random things? I've seen some good deals on Ebay for touring bikes and more comfort oriented road bikes.