Quantcast

I need some sort of road bike...

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Only, I'm not real fond of riding on the road.

I want to build a road-ish bike for shorter road rides, trips to the market, commuting to work, etc. I've had an ill-fitting geared cyclocross bike in the past, but never a true road bike. Not that I want a true road bike. Riding mostly off-road, I wonder if a 29" bike with skinny tiers and a more upright, flat-bar position would be more comfortable. Or, a more road-oriented singlespeed/fixed bike like the Lemond Fillmore.

So, as you can see I rally have no idea what I want at this point, but I was hoping some might have some advice for a similar bike. I live in So. Florida, so there are no hills, fun corners, or bike lanes. Well, only a few.

Thanks in advance,

Colin

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You want a multi-purpose, multi-terrain bike... that's not a road bike at all.

If you said you wanted to do some really long rides, I would've suggested a road bike.

Sure, 29er will work, so would a regular mtb as well as cx. You could also use a touring bike.

If you want to do commuting and shopping, try to get a bike with front and/or rear rack mounts. Nashbar has a steel cx fork that's not too much money that'd work.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Never said it was uncomfortable. Just that I am more comfortable on my singlespeed mountain bike than a road bike. Haven't spent much time on a road bike; that's all.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
A 29er mountain bike sounds perfect.

Before I got a road bike I was using my Surly Karate Monkey as a single speed XC racer, my trail bike, with CX treads it made a decent cyclocross race, a fixed gear on the road, and with racks a fixed gear touring bike. I also got all my groceries on it.

Rigid fork, singlespeed, road tires, very efficient and very comfortable. Pulled some 100+ mile days on it and never had a complaint. Steel is definitely real. It kind of sucks changing tires, but I loved riding a century and then getting n 30 miles of trails the next day on the same bike.

Check it out, might be what you are looking for.

The Ito

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
A road bike wouldn't be ideal for any of what you describe. When I "go to the market" I always ride one on my mountain bikes. If I were to commute again I wouldn't do that on my road bike either. Just keep a spare wheelset with slicks handy and your good to go on any bike.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Well, I would like to try doing more road rides as well. What I think may work is something like the Lemond Fillmore (albeit it is a bit pricey), Specialized Langster, or Raleigh Rush. Run it with a freewheel.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I would go and just test out a few since comfort seems to be your main concern. If you're just bumming around and going to the market, why bother blowing a lot of money on a really nice bike when it's just going to be chained to random things? I've seen some good deals on Ebay for touring bikes and more comfort oriented road bikes.