Quantcast

I need some suggestions for our Kitchen tiles

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
the backsplash (behind the counter top/sink/stove) in our kitchen is going to be tile. there will be less then 30 six inch by six inch tiles in the whole thing.

I will be doing the work myself and including doing the artwork on the tiles as well. the theme will be light hearted 'day of the dead' type stuff. we want it to have a food/cooking theme as well.

we want a main 3D sculpted piece over the stove. I'm thinking maybe a 12" x 12" piece with some smaller colored (1" x 1") tiles around that.

the rest of the backsplash we want light color and every other tile or so, a small design or drawing of something skullish/cooking/foodish.

below are a few ideas I had. the first image is the overall layout of the kitchen. the bluish area is where the tiles will go.

the corn husker guy will be a 6" x 6" tile. the other ones will be 3D carved and Kiln fired clay pieces.

asides from "who wants that crap in your kitchen" do you have any suggestions for other designs or shapes that might work well with this theme?

I have a number of other drawings at home, I'm just looking for more suggestion.

thanks.:)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Why don't you just paint up "various" body parts and press the on the tiles for designs. You and the Mrs can have fun painting each other up and I bet the guests visiting would not be able to identify what tools you used to paint them.

:D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
pnj said:
uh, good suggestion but that is not the theme....
My, my, my.....haven't we been watching to much Trading spaces. :)

Why not? I think my idea has a better chance of retaining some resale value than Skulls and bones on the tile. ;)

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I've never seen one episode of Trading Spaces.

our entire house and backyard have skulls of various types throughout it. we like them. we want them, wait, NEED them, in the kitchen.

screw resale value. the house isn't for sale.ever.

the thought was, one big center piece that is hand carved/3D shaped over the stove.
then single 6 x 6 tiles on the rest and maybe tie those together with a hand painted vine or something with chili peppers (yea, peppers don't grow on vines but whatever), then every few tiles have some drawing of the skelatal dudes (or dudettes, it's kinda hard to draw boobs in skull form though, ya know..:)) doing some kind of kitchen stuff.

drawings I have at home include one pouring wine, one flipping something in a frying pan, the corn husker guy and something else I can't remember.....

so far I've gotten two suggestions, something representing my wife (no kids, ever!) and one kneeding tortilla's. great suggestions. thanks.

anymore?

Oh! turtle! :evil:

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
pnj said:
I've never seen one episode of Trading Spaces.

our entire house and backyard have skulls of various types throughout it. we like them. we want them, wait, NEED them, in the kitchen.

screw resale value. the house isn't for sale.ever.

the thought was, one big center piece that is hand carved/3D shaped over the stove.
then single 6 x 6 tiles on the rest and maybe tie those together with a hand painted vine or something with chili peppers (yea, peppers don't grow on vines but whatever), then every few tiles have some drawing of the skelatal dudes (or dudettes, it's kinda hard to draw boobs in skull form though, ya know..:)) doing some kind of kitchen stuff.

drawings I have at home include one pouring wine, one flipping something in a frying pan, the corn husker guy and something else I can't remember.....

so far I've gotten two suggestions, something representing my wife (no kids, ever!) and one kneeding tortilla's. great suggestions. thanks.

anymore?

Oh! turtle! :evil:
For chick like skeletons just put skirts on em and/or bows on their heads...oh...and some eyelashes.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
How about a skeleton drinking wine with a puddle of wine around it's feet and a drop or two of wine hanging off the rib cage. Or, substitute beer in for wine depending on your tastes. Wine might look better since a puddle of beer might look like a puddle of pee. ;)

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Morryjg said:
DOH! I can't believe no one has said this one yet...... A monkey skeleton on a bike! :monkey:
I have a few drawings at my house with skeletons drinking and sharing wine.

what does a bike have to do with food?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I won't have access to the kiln for a few weeks so I've been playing around with some 3D tiles, getting a feel of working with clay and seeing what I can do with it.

here are a few samples.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
dh girlie said:
Cool...I don't like the sun though...suns and moons are scary.
yea, I did a bunch of different ones that I would never put IN my house. flowers and horrible stuff like that.;)

I'm just getting a feel for the clay....

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
douglas said:
can you make a spider tile?
oh, I could!

maybe it would be a good gift for someone. ahahahaha (if I was an asshole.....) :nuts:

I think you're on the right path here. Make a bunch of stuff and set it aside, then see what you and L still like when you look at it a week later. Still think you need some Morgan-the-cat skeletons.

I have a few small tile projects lined up in my new place too. Since I don't plan to be there more than a few years I don't have the creative freedom you have there, tho.

I want to talk to you about your countertops too.