Quantcast

I need your help with a new product idea

If any of you out there use a hydration pack or have an opinion at all, will you give me some feedback on this idea.

I am developing a small device that among other things, will let you know at all times, exactly :cool: how much fluid you have left in your hydration pack.

I would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Thanks
R.J.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
My thoughts are, that would be pretty neat, but I can figure it out pretty close just by feeling up my bladder. But if you can protect the idea you could probably sell it to camelback or someone else...

hilldown

Chimp
Aug 30, 2005
Oroville, CA
As far as feedback goes I think its a great idea. Im not sure how well it would do as an aftermarket part, but included with a hydration pack would be a great deal. How will this gauge work? Anyway good luck.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
With a constantly running air compressor, you could measure the fluid head with a transducer at the bottom of the pack.

Plus, you could use the compressor to pressurize the bladder, run a hose into your top tube and out of the top cap of your headset. Whenever you hit a bump, it could release a check valve and shoot water into your mouth. That would be so rad.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
Because the bladder is flexible, you cannot use a float type gauge to tell how much fluid you will have left. You are gonna have to use a type of direct flow meter. Sounds like a cool idea, but it seems like it would cost more than it is worth.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I do know that some company a year or two ago had a device that involved magnets and a little beeper. Basically when x amount of water was gone the magnets would touch and it would beep, telling you that you had only so much left.

It's called a Hydralert. http://www.dgioutdoors.com/

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I think you should create a device that draws moisture from the atmosphere and liquifies it, so that you never run out and don't have to carry the weight of the water.

And it should inject it right into your veins (IV) in a hydrating saline, so that you don't need to drink it or wait for it to absorb and it keeps your electrolytes balanced.

Word.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
It will be a good idea if:

- Can be deisigned to be as simple as possible
- Work well, and reliable
- Easy and CHEAP to produce
- easy to install with no effect on rider wearing.

Ho wyou go about doing that is totaly up to you and your mind. Good luck.

gonzostrike

Monkey
May 21, 2002
Montana
it sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

I don't know how knowing the level of the water in my pack's bladder will tell me anything better than simply drinking it as I go.

but maybe there are lots of folks who see it differently. ????

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
gonzostrike said:
Yeah I have never really had a problem knowing how much was left, and everyone always says you are better off drinking early and running out than trying to ration anyway. I like to keep things simple and wouldn't buy one of these separately. Honestly I see it like those in-line gear indicators - kind of neat, especially if it comes with a new pack, but not something that I would seek out and buy separately.

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
Right now im working on making this exact same thing. The design i have now is pretty simple and it will work. Not going to be able to finish it til after this emmester though :( no time.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
ohio said:
I think you should create a device that draws moisture from the atmosphere and liquifies it, so that you never run out and don't have to carry the weight of the water.

And it should inject it right into your veins (IV) in a hydrating saline, so that you don't need to drink it or wait for it to absorb and it keeps your electrolytes balanced.

Word.
Yeah, that except...bourbon. We need to extract the bourbon from the atmosphere and utilize it within our system. By system I mean liver.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
that would come in haandy alot with XC riding or hicking alowing you to know how u are conserving your water. it would be cool if it was one your hose to your bladder so when you go to take a drink it is right there telling you how uch u have left also if you can make it strong enough to take abuse that would be the best because it would suck if it got broken and you thought that u only have a little of water left and you are out were nothing is biking in the back country

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Adam Novatt said:
that would come in haandy alot with XC riding or hicking alowing you to know how u are conserving your water. it would be cool if it was one your hose to your bladder so when you go to take a drink it is right there telling you how uch u have left also if you can make it strong enough to take abuse that would be the best because it would suck if it got broken and you thought that u only have a little of water left and you are out were nothing is biking in the back country
Now I know you are aware of the existence of a period (.) because you used it after your only sentence. I think with perserverence and open minded practice, you might one day make yourself coherent.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
gonzostrike said:

I don't know how knowing the level of the water in my pack's bladder will tell me anything better than simply drinking it as I go.

but maybe there are lots of folks who see it differently. ????
i am in this camp. seems like a waste of money to me. but then again so do spandex shorts and bar ends. look how many of those things supergo sells. good luck.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
kidwoo said:
Now I know you are aware of the existence of a period (.) because you used it after your only sentence. I think with perserverence and open minded practice, you might one day make yourself coherent.
txt msgs and IM have ruined the kids.

by the way, if you do the "(.)" thingy twice, it looks like boobies.
(.)(.) he he.