Quantcast

I picked this up on the street and gave it to the wife

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
She is due on July 25.
So I have some time to work with him.
Wearing him down works some, but he recovers like Landis Stage 17.
I have not tried a bike ride yet, but it is in the near future.
If the dog is out in the open running around in the front yard, he is fine, but when you get IN the fence with him, is when he hears the
"bell" ring. And then Rocky and Drago square up again.
Did you mention to the trainer the difference between the pen and outside of the pen? I'm actually looking at getting another dog to give Bruzer something to focus on. Have him play with another dog than the pile of fire wood he loves to chew on. Our relatives commonly drop of their dogs when they're away for a few days so we've been able to test out how Bruzer does.

Yeah I'll go on a 10mile bike ride with Bruzer running the whole time (I stop to give him water and brakes). We'll get in the car and within the 15min ride home he's recovered.

The other day my wife stuck one of his toys in a fabric bag hanging from a dresser knob. Well somehow he got the bag off the knob but in the process got it stuck over his face/head. He proceded to run into walls like a headless chicken on amphedamines.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
She is due on July 25.
So I have some time to work with him.
Wearing him down works some, but he recovers like Landis Stage 17.
I have not tried a bike ride yet, but it is in the near future.
If the dog is out in the open running around in the front yard, he is fine, but when you get IN the fence with him, is when he hears the
"bell" ring. And then Rocky and Drago square up again.
if our k9 handler/trainers wrote a book on this issue it would state the solution as follows:

1. Ball up your fist
2. Strike dog hard in the head

it seems brutal but works everytime i've seen it done. friggin police belgian malinois only listen to force.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
update:
we decided that we really can't provide this dog the proper attention and discipline it requires. our current 3 kids, 2 dogs and a cat already consume all of our attention and resources.
so...i'm asking around at work and with all of the fire dept. guys along with an ad on craigslist. i made sure to put in big letters that i'm a cop and will be screening prospective takers to ensure she's not used illegally.
the kids are all understanding and have enjoyed the time we've had w/ her so far. she's so energetic and playful, i hate to get rid of her but...you know how that goes.

anyway, here's the craigslist ad:

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/pet/572641839.html
NO REP FOR YOU

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
if our k9 handler/trainers wrote a book on this issue it would state the solution as follows:

1. Ball up your fist
2. Strike dog hard in the head

it seems brutal but works everytime i've seen it done. friggin police belgian malinois only listen to force.
Thats pretty crazy.....

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Thats pretty crazy.....
Yep, I can't do it.
If I could do it, I would have already.
I can pop some dude in the nose with no hesitation, but not a dog.
Plus, I can't see that leading to anything good in the long run as a family dog. Police dogs are different. Its their job to kick ass,
and doing what they are told could have peoples lives on the line.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So, besides hitting him in the head with a closed fist, have you tried any other physical discipline?

All of our family dogs since I can remember have been disciplined with a smack on the tip of their nose. Pretty hard, though not like punching them in the head. It stings.

It seems to be a good balance between no physical discipline, which flat out doesn't work with some dogs, and actually having to hit hard which is uncomfortable. The fact is that dogs are animals that are hardwired to respond to physical discipline.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yep, I can't do it.
Plus, I can't see that leading to anything good in the long run as a family dog. Police dogs are different. Its their job to kick ass,

Ultimately you need to show the dog that you are without question the dominant one. It can be done with body language. Stare it down, never recoil, lean into over it. Basically pretend you are in prison, just don't shank or rape the dog.

It could just be youthfull puppy energy so it may take some time for him to calm down before he will listen. My dog was like that for a year, now he is extremely well behaved.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Dude!

I can't believe I haven't thought to tell you this before but I found the magic riding/wear-dog-out combo recently. Since we live in a neighborhood where I can't take my dog off leash when riding, I will put him on the 5 footer and wrap it around my wrist. Then I hop on my bike and ride up about a 1/2 mile hill behind my house, then back down, then all around an adjacent neighborhood - usually about 2 miles total.

He runs the whole time and towards the end I have to slow down my bike because otherwise I'd be dragging him by the neck! This only takes like 20-30 minutes or so and he is absolutely worn out by the end. Just thought you may like to give it a try. If not, why don't you bring him out to Pisgah one of these days??

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yep, I can't do it.
I used a pinch collar with my dog for a little while. Worked well, but I'm lazy and haven't been following up with the training.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
BV,
Smacking him on the nose hard with on open hand is a terrific form of amusement for this dog.
If my sleeve is in his mouth, and I am smack him to let go, I can actually see him smile.
I can see I am going need a video camera to truly explain the insanity.

Westy,
As far as the showing dominance, that is what I am working on now.
It works well with the training collar and leash.
Off the leash, no matter how angry I get, he still thinks its playtime.
I can drive him to the ground with his collar and hold him there until he submits. But he goes right back at it.
One thing I learned from the trainer that he hates is to grab his mouth with both hands where he cannot open it, take him to the ground, and hold him there. That one works pretty well.
You nailed it with the youthful puppy energy, because that is all this really is, but with his size and strength, he has to be controlled.

Kenan,
That sounds like a good idea, I may give it a try.
I need to post pics of some of the stuff he has done.
I will try to do that tonight.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BV,
Smacking him on the nose hard with on open hand is a terrific form of amusement for this dog.
If my sleeve is in his mouth, and I am smack him to let go, I can actually see him smile.
I can see I am going need a video camera to truly explain the insanity.

Westy,
As far as the showing dominance, that is what I am working on now.
It works well with the training collar and leash.
Off the leash, no matter how angry I get, he still thinks its playtime.
I can drive him to the ground with his collar and hold him there until he submits. But he goes right back at it.
One thing I learned from the trainer that he hates is to grab his mouth with both hands where he cannot open it, take him to the ground, and hold him there. That one works pretty well.
You nailed it with the youthful puppy energy, because that is all this really is, but with his size and strength, he has to be controlled.

Kenan,
That sounds like a good idea, I may give it a try.
I need to post pics of some of the stuff he has done.
I will try to do that tonight.

Jeremy,
I just wanted to respond to you by first stating your name to see how if feels.