Quantcast

I picked this up on the street and gave it to the wife

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
no, not herpes.....

downhill66 and i were on a little street session downtown when we heard a puppy crying/yelping nearby. we looked around for the source and found an adorable rotty mix? puppy in a drained fountain. the poor thing couldn't get out and was obviously put there because there was no way it could have gotten in by itself. so..knowing what i know about the propensity for large breed dogs being used for fighting in the inner city...i decided that one of us should at least take it home, check it out and give it to someone who could take care of it. well, aaron got the "hell no" from his parents so that meant that i had to call the wife. the phone call went like this, "hey, don't go to bed yet, i have something to show you...." "you're not bringing home another dog are you?!!" "lol....hahahaha...yes"

so anyway, my plans were to keep it overnight and take it somewhere so at least it wouldn't be michael vick'd but now the wife has fallen in love with her and i don't think she'll be going anywhere for a while :rolleyes:
we let her play with the chi-waaa-waa's (can't spell that stupid breed) and they warmed up to her fairly well but the cat still hasn't decided if she likes her or not and is keeping her distance.
the kids have no idea but i'm sure it won't take them long to locate the kennel in the morning :busted:

so anyway, our latest and hopefully temporary member of the manimal family:

mrs manimal showing some tough love and not growing attached :rolleyes:

keeping the rat dogs from getting too jealous

edit: i'm no vegetarian but she seems healthy and there weren't any worms in her poo. i suppose we'll have to get her checked out soon....before we give her away ;)

S.n.a.k.e.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
N. Tonawanda, NY
Good job Manimal.

She looks to be well fed (ok not starving at least), and the fact that she was yelping to get out speaks to her being around humans and not a total stray. Was it a bad neighborhood?

Wifey definately showing the 'tough love' in the 2nd photo...

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
THat must be one good woman to put up with a kid like you, raise the children and take care of 3 dogs. You make good decisions in life (seriously).

That dog will eventually eat more than your kids and might take a bite out of the little dogs (reminds me of an episode in the recent Entourage Season)

Very cool and cuddly.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Yeah, but...how does it taste?

Really though, good job on the save. The puppy is lucky it had someone like you come along as opposed to some bored kids or someone that would treat it poorly.

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
Keep it and get rid of the rats! :busted: People set traps for those things! But not for rots. You could train the stray to be your k-9 unit and teach it to run down mo-peds and stuff:lighten:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
What a cute puppy!!! Hope that "tough love" thing works out for ya...LOL!!! :)

Very cool that you helped a pup in need...can't understand some people's thinking when it comes to pets :disgust1:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Poor sad puppy.

I found this kitty living on my porch one day. Hobo was about 4 weeks old, respiratory infection, eye infection, infected flea bites, worms etc. Two weeks and $150 later he was good to go. As you can see, he is very good natured for a cat.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
well, the kids found her this morning in the kennel and "can we keep it?!!!" was the first phrase uttered. :rolleyes:

i suppose it's not that big of an issue to keep her as we have yet to find a use for the fenced in dog lot that came with the house. :D

now we just have to decide on a name. the kids have come up with the following thus far:

paper towel?
gabriella (barbie princess movie)
elsa
eila
DVD
sparkle
picture
desk
lamp
genevieve (barbie princess movie)
genessa

as you can tell, it's probably going to have something to do with barbie princess movie or a whatever piece of furniture is in the room when we make a decision :rofl: poor dog.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Oh man, I wish you better luck than I have had with our ghetto dog rescue. My wife found ours as a cute puppy in a church parking lot.
His ribs were all showing and he looked so innocent. :disgust1:
Not so much.
He has been a complete trainwreck.
I have been around dogs my whole life and I have never seen one as high energy as this one.
You simply cannot keep him contained.
At first, he was just pushing himself under the fence.
So, I secured that, and now he is pushing himself THROUGH a chainlink fence........anytime he wants.
He has a 30 x 30 dog pen to run around in, and also a big fenced backyard. So he busts out of his pen first, then he busts out of the fence next. But he does not run off ever......dammit.
I will come home from work and he will be laying on the front steps chewing on a water bucket.
He is the recurring nightmare.
And when you do get in the fence with him, he is under the impression that you just stepped into the Octagon.
He bruises my arms from elbows to wrist, and he does it all while simply playing. He can jump at me, and I will knee him in the chest, and as soon as his paws hit the ground, he is back up with my tricep in his mouth. He's like lightening.
We actually took him to a 3 week dog training/boot camp school.
It really helped, as we have control of him now, but only when he is wearing a training collar and on a short leather leash.
His behavior is getting better now though as I continue to work with him. But the fence is an ongoing battle. I had to stay home from riding today, so I can add more reinforcement.:twitch:
All that said, his only saving grace is his temperment.
That damn trainwreck is actually a sweet dog.
He shows no aggression toward our other dogs or cats, and as rough as we have gotten in the past, he never growls. Its all playtime to him. Its a sight to see, I am thinking about selling admission tickets.
Anyway, sorry for venting in your new puppy thread.
Good luck with it.

Here is a pic of him before he doubled in size:
Don't let the smile fool you.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
update:
we decided that we really can't provide this dog the proper attention and discipline it requires. our current 3 kids, 2 dogs and a cat already consume all of our attention and resources.
so...i'm asking around at work and with all of the fire dept. guys along with an ad on craigslist. i made sure to put in big letters that i'm a cop and will be screening prospective takers to ensure she's not used illegally.
the kids are all understanding and have enjoyed the time we've had w/ her so far. she's so energetic and playful, i hate to get rid of her but...you know how that goes.

anyway, here's the craigslist ad:

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/pet/572641839.html

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Oh man, I wish you better luck than I have had with our ghetto dog rescue. My wife found ours as a cute puppy in a church parking lot.
His ribs were all showing and he looked so innocent. :disgust1:
Not so much.
He has been a complete trainwreck.
I have been around dogs my whole life and I have never seen one as high energy as this one.
You simply cannot keep him contained.
At first, he was just pushing himself under the fence.
So, I secured that, and now he is pushing himself THROUGH a chainlink fence........anytime he wants.
He has a 30 x 30 dog pen to run around in, and also a big fenced backyard. So he busts out of his pen first, then he busts out of the fence next. But he does not run off ever......dammit.
I will come home from work and he will be laying on the front steps chewing on a water bucket.
He is the recurring nightmare.
And when you do get in the fence with him, he is under the impression that you just stepped into the Octagon.
He bruises my arms from elbows to wrist, and he does it all while simply playing. He can jump at me, and I will knee him in the chest, and as soon as his paws hit the ground, he is back up with my tricep in his mouth. He's like lightening.
We actually took him to a 3 week dog training/boot camp school.
It really helped, as we have control of him now, but only when he is wearing a training collar and on a short leather leash.
His behavior is getting better now though as I continue to work with him. But the fence is an ongoing battle. I had to stay home from riding today, so I can add more reinforcement.:twitch:
All that said, his only saving grace is his temperment.
That damn trainwreck is actually a sweet dog.
He shows no aggression toward our other dogs or cats, and as rough as we have gotten in the past, he never growls. Its all playtime to him. Its a sight to see, I am thinking about selling admission tickets.
Anyway, sorry for venting in your new puppy thread.
Good luck with it.

Here is a pic of him before he doubled in size:
Don't let the smile fool you.

[dog1.jpg[/IMG]

Dude, that is exactly like our dog. My wife swears he can pick locks. We keep him inside mostly this time of year is bad because we can't drain his energy outside it's so messy. he's chewed through 2 crates already, 5 lbs of septic cleaner, 2 lbs of flower, 5 foam chair cushins, one time he got off his chain while we were out to dinner and he was sitting on our front porch with the entire garbage can he had drug over to the porch.
He's is super hyper energy dog but like yours he has great a disposition, we had a Halloween party this past year and he partied all night with us, he was looking up all the girls skirts the whole time, it's funny to watch the movie again and see all the girls running away from him.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Dude, that is exactly like our dog. My wife swears he can pick locks. We keep him inside mostly this time of year is bad because we can't drain his energy outside it's so messy. he's chewed through 2 crates already, 5 lbs of septic cleaner, 2 lbs of flower, 5 foam chair cushins, one time he got off his chain while we were out to dinner and he was sitting on our front porch with the entire garbage can he had drug over to the porch.
He's is super hyper energy dog but like yours he has great a disposition, we had a Halloween party this past year and he partied all night with us, he was looking up all the girls skirts the whole time, it's funny to watch the movie again and see all the girls running away from him.
Maybe we should start or own support group.
"The Jeremy and Stosh one star dog club" has a nice ring to it.
Yesterday, while we were playing, he hit his teeth on my hand so hard
that the whole back of my hand was swollen, and had to be iced down. It wasn't a bite either, just an accident.....like a trainwreck.
I am in a screwed up spot with this dog. I have a pregnant wife who is really attached to him, but I can't have him jumping up on her.
Which honestly, he doesn't really do, he thinks I am his 180 pound chew toy instead.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Maybe we should start or own support group.
"The Jeremy and Stosh one star dog club" has a nice ring to it.
Yesterday, while we were playing, he hit his teeth on my hand so hard
that the whole back of my hand was swollen, and had to be iced down. It wasn't a bite either, just an accident.....like a trainwreck.
I am in a screwed up spot with this dog. I have a pregnant wife who is really attached to him, but I can't have him jumping up on her.
Which honestly, he doesn't really do, he thinks I am his 180 pound chew toy instead.
My dog knows better than to jump on me but he does with all of our friends/relatives = annoying. Our daughter LOVES him, and she's only 7months old. He's pretty good with her mostly only licking her face however he always has his eye on the prize and when he sees me to get up or anything he's HAS to be right there with me and anything in his way he totally disregards. Anything he would ever do to our daughter I know would be totally accidental.
When is your wife do?
Have you tried wearing him down (i know I know)? Ever tried taking him for a bike ride? Can he handle not being on a leash?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
When is your wife do?
Have you tried wearing him down (i know I know)? Ever tried taking him for a bike ride? Can he handle not being on a leash?
She is due on July 25.
So I have some time to work with him.
Wearing him down works some, but he recovers like Landis Stage 17.
I have not tried a bike ride yet, but it is in the near future.
If the dog is out in the open running around in the front yard, he is fine, but when you get IN the fence with him, is when he hears the
"bell" ring. And then Rocky and Drago square up again.